Author Topic: bitshares is a decentralised exchange. thats all that needs to be said  (Read 4024 times)

Offline Pheonike

I don't know how many of you guys have been here for how long, but the "Decentralized Exchange" thing has been tried on bitshares.org website for a few months before the "2.0" announcement and it didn't work either.

The current iteration of bitshares.org is the best yet. In fact, looking at it again, it's almost perfect, just needs some split testing and small improvements.

For starters, the title claim should to be constantly split tested against alternatives, like "Bitshares 2.0 is a decentralized financial universe"; "Bitshares - cryptofinancial independence" etc.

Secondly, the NASDAQ claim is confusing, untrue and most importantly: countereffective. Do you know what doesn't approach the speed of NASDAQ? The NASDAQ itself and any centralized exchanges that don't have to worry about speed. We are framing ourselves as "almost as good" as this other, established thing - that's a big no no in the marketing realm.
The purpose of informational claims is to invoke certain emotions. The emotion that the NASDAQ line brings, along with implication of inferiority, is automatic distrust and the feeling of being bullshited.

+5%

If you can't say you are outright better than the competition, don't mention them.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
I think bitshares.org should target 3 categories of visitiors:

1. Cryptocurrency traders looking to eliminate counterparty risk
2. Libertarians that got fond of DAC idea that might be interested in investing into BTS and try to participate in BitShares self-governance
3. Developers looking to utilize all benefits of BitShares as a platform

The page should have clear call to action for each category with accent on #1 - it looks like BitShares as exchange can get some traction first, but we shouldn't ignore other categories.

I would suggest to have a big background picture with trading interface to make it to appeal to category #1 and have clear call to action for all 3 categories, it can be something like this:
- Don't trust centralized exchanges? Try first full featured decentralized exchange and eliminate counterparty risk.
- Looking to be a shareholder of first decentralized autonomous company? By shares and help the community to govern it. Get rich as price of your shares rise.
- Looking ideal high performance platform for smart contracts? Get started right now.

I strongly agree with this. Except that I think you need to be careful with #2. It's an important part of the community's and project's identity. But hitting it too hard risks turning off the #1s and #3s. Words like "decentralized" and "independence" can appeal to a lot of people, not just libertarians.

I'm kind of sceptical of #2 too. Each one has its own vision of the world, we shouldn't make people see BitShares as this or that, they should see it with their own eyes.

But a section for developers and businesses, explaining what they could do, how and the advantages should be there explicitly. How they can earn from the referral program. How they can be paid via smartcontracts.

Then a section for traders. Help them identify themselves with BitShares. See it as a trading platform. Make them see they can use it like they use any other trading platform and trade not only cryptocurrencies but other assets too. Mention Bond Markets, margin trades, prediction markets, etc (wish we were working on bond/pm)

And another section about market makers, liquidity bots, how to do that or use this or that bot too.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile

2. Libertarians that got fond of DAC idea that might be interested in investing into BTS and try to participate in BitShares self-governance

The page should have clear call to action for each category with accent on #1 - it looks like BitShares as exchange can get some traction first, but we shouldn't ignore other categories.

I would suggest to have a big background picture with trading interface to make it to appeal to category #1 and have clear call to action for all 3 categories, it can be something like this:
- Don't trust centralized exchanges? Try first full featured decentralized exchange and eliminate counterparty risk.
- Looking to be a shareholder of first decentralized autonomous company? By shares and help the community to govern it. Get rich as price of your shares rise.
- Looking ideal high performance platform for smart contracts? Get started right now.
+5^
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline triox

• View Profile
  • BitShares: triox
I don't know how many of you guys have been here for how long, but the "Decentralized Exchange" thing has been tried on bitshares.org website for a few months before the "2.0" announcement and it didn't work either.

The current iteration of bitshares.org is the best yet. In fact, looking at it again, it's almost perfect, just needs some split testing and small improvements.

For starters, the title claim should to be constantly split tested against alternatives, like "Bitshares 2.0 is a decentralized financial universe"; "Bitshares - cryptofinancial independence" etc.

Secondly, the NASDAQ claim is confusing, untrue and most importantly: countereffective. Do you know what doesn't approach the speed of NASDAQ? The NASDAQ itself and any centralized exchanges that don't have to worry about speed. We are framing ourselves as "almost as good" as this other, established thing - that's a big no no in the marketing realm.
The purpose of informational claims is to invoke certain emotions. The emotion that the NASDAQ line brings, along with implication of inferiority, is automatic distrust and the feeling of being bullshited.

Also, the website should link to a simple USD-only mobile app.

Offline betax

• View Profile
The problem is that the bitshares.org page promotes at the same time two different products: the BitShares blockchain network and the Graphene technology.
It should be split into two distinct webpages, i.e. we need a webpage promoting Graphene exclusively.

With the current setup, whenever I need to refer to Graphene I need to direct my audience to BitShares.org, which is not good if I need to talk about the general aspects of the technology and not about BitShares in particular (e.g. when I talk about Identabit, Muse, Play etc).

+1
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline BTSdac

• View Profile
  • BitShares: K1
when you go to bitshares.org it's not explaining simply enough what bitshares is. It currently says: 

BitShares 2.0 is an industrial-grade financial smart contract platform.
Built using the latest in industry research, BitShares 2.0 delivers
a decentralized financial platform with speeds approaching** NASDAQ.

its to long winded and trying to sound clever.  simple is best. we should say what we are.

"Bitshares: The Decentralised Exchange"
bitshares can do many thing, just  say  it  is  a decentralized exchange is not accuracy
but first  , we can say "Bitshares: The Decentralised Exchange"
github.com :pureland
BTS2.0 API :ws://139.196.37.179:8091
BTS2.0 API 数据源ws://139.196.37.179:8091

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

I strongly agree with this. Except that I think you need to be careful with #2. It's an important part of the community's and project's identity. But hitting it too hard risks turning off the #1s and #3s. Words like "decentralized" and "independence" can appeal to a lot of people, not just libertarians.

Offline valzav

• View Profile

Offline thera

• ~ sharing a SMILE is just a way of showing love ~
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: thera
Didn't you attempt a BTS pump on twitter jonnybitcoin? We're waiting for it. Unless i misunderstood it https://twitter.com/JohnEGodfrey/status/662525371213049856

The problem is that the bitshares.org page promotes at the same time two different products: the BitShares blockchain network and the Graphene technology.
It should be split into two distinct webpages, i.e. we need a webpage promoting Graphene exclusively.

With the current setup, whenever I need to refer to Graphene I need to direct my audience to BitShares.org, which is not good if I need to talk about the general aspects of the technology and not about BitShares in particular (e.g. when I talk about Identabit, Muse, Play etc).
I totally agree .. and we will separated the Graphene idea out of bts.org into cryptonomex.com ...

What they said. Plus mention of bond and prediction markets to be built on top of it.

As well as Derivatives to be included in general at some point like 1broker.com offers. Because to my knowledge noone else does this but them:
https://1broker.com
https://twitter.com/1BrokerCom      -  everyone likes being told/tweeted that they are earning dividends, also.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 04:37:14 pm by thera »
gentleness is the greatest strength ~ iroquois proverb

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

I totally agree .. and we will separated the Graphene idea out of bts.org into cryptonomex.com ...

+5%
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
 Didn't you attempt a BTS pump on twitter jonnybitcoin? We're waiting for it. Unless i misunderstood it https://twitter.com/JohnEGodfrey/status/662525371213049856

What they said. Plus mention of bond and prediction markets to be built on top of it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 02:11:27 pm by Akado »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

jakub

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani