Author Topic: Announcement on Bitcointalk  (Read 5343 times)

Offline complexring

• View Profile

could you explain how ecc verification can be done in parallel?  i'm
still envisioning the necessity for ecc verication in serial for a chain
of blocks (of data).  unless the idea is that all blocks can be verified
with ecc independently, which then makes the process `embarrassingly
parallel' ?

thx.

I am talking about ECC verification of transactions .. (not blocks)
Each transaction has a set of signatures that are used to verify an
owner of an account. Since these signatures are independent of the
*actual claim* within the transaction, they can be verified
INDEPENDENTLY of the blockchain. Whether they are valid (no double spend
etc.) is another story and has to be performed single threaded (as well
as for keeping the order of transactions)

thank you.  that was a very useful explanation, and I appreciate it.

+5%

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

could you explain how ecc verification can be done in parallel?  i'm
still envisioning the necessity for ecc verication in serial for a chain
of blocks (of data).  unless the idea is that all blocks can be verified
with ecc independently, which then makes the process `embarrassingly
parallel' ?

thx.

I am talking about ECC verification of transactions .. (not blocks)
Each transaction has a set of signatures that are used to verify an
owner of an account. Since these signatures are independent of the
*actual claim* within the transaction, they can be verified
INDEPENDENTLY of the blockchain. Whether they are valid (no double spend
etc.) is another story and has to be performed single threaded (as well
as for keeping the order of transactions)

Offline complexring

• View Profile
Is there a proper announcement to be made on Bitcointalk.org? Since a few features have been changed (100 TPS, 3 sec blocks, no bond market) it makes sense to do a new thread with instruction to to obtain these new tokens (buying, migrating).
Quote from: bytemaster link=https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,18717.msg241280.html#msg241280

For the BTS2 network we will revert to only fetching 1 transaction at a time which will limit throughput of the network to under 100 TPS.  This will only be a limit in the P2P code which can be upgraded at any time without requiring a hard fork.   
If the network is generating anywhere near 100 TPS per second then the network will be earning more than $1M per day in fees and our market cap would be closer to Bitcoins market cap
So we are now capped to 100TPS until the P2P code is rewritten, right? @bytemaster
Think this is important to communicate clearly, as there is a lot of misleading information out there saying 100.000 TPS.
And I guess it is not in our best interest to advertise false numbers.
There never was the claim that BitShares can handle 100k .. the claim was that the technology is capable of doing so in certain environments ..
Removing the 100tps limitation is done quickly ... if required .. but we are far away from those transaction loads .. so we have plenty of time left to improve the network code

Sure 100.000 TPS will be possible with new code, but this is the case for every crypto...
No .. it is not ..

In Bitcoin, every transaction goes to an address which is the hash of a
public key .. this fact caps the scalability because in order to run the
"protocol" (moving funds from A to B) .. the process needs to deal with
addresses (hashes)

In BitShares, ECC verification can be done in PARALLEL and the
"protocol" is applied in a single-threaded process (to keep consistency
etc..) .. this process does NOT need to deal with hashes but only
account ids.

And this leads to scalability way beyond what is possible in ANY other
crypto currency ..

could you explain how ecc verification can be done in parallel?  i'm still envisioning the necessity for ecc verication in serial for a chain of blocks (of data).  unless the idea is that all blocks can be verified with ecc independently, which then makes the process `embarrassingly parallel' ?

thx.

Offline btswolf

thx for clarification guys.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Is there a proper announcement to be made on Bitcointalk.org? Since a few features have been changed (100 TPS, 3 sec blocks, no bond market) it makes sense to do a new thread with instruction to to obtain these new tokens (buying, migrating).
Quote from: bytemaster link=https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,18717.msg241280.html#msg241280

For the BTS2 network we will revert to only fetching 1 transaction at a time which will limit throughput of the network to under 100 TPS.  This will only be a limit in the P2P code which can be upgraded at any time without requiring a hard fork.   
If the network is generating anywhere near 100 TPS per second then the network will be earning more than $1M per day in fees and our market cap would be closer to Bitcoins market cap
So we are now capped to 100TPS until the P2P code is rewritten, right? @bytemaster
Think this is important to communicate clearly, as there is a lot of misleading information out there saying 100.000 TPS.
There never was the claim that BitShares can handle 100k .. the claim was that the technology is capable of doing so in certain environments ..
Removing the 100tps limitation is done quickly ... if required .. but we are far away from those transaction loads .. so we have plenty of time left to improve the network code

Sure 100.000 TPS will be possible with new code, but this is the case for every crypto...
No .. it is not ..

In Bitcoin, every transaction goes to an address which is the hash of a
public key .. this fact caps the scalability because in order to run the
"protocol" (moving funds from A to B) .. the process needs to deal with
addresses (hashes)

In BitShares, ECC verification can be done in PARALLEL and the
"protocol" is applied in a single-threaded process (to keep consistency
etc..) .. this process does NOT need to deal with hashes but only
account ids.

And this leads to scalability way beyond what is possible in ANY other
crypto currency ..

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
100kTPS is not a false number, but it must be interpreted in the correct context.

100kTPS is what the internal ledger database of the witness_node can handle on standard hardware. That does not include data transmission, signature verification, hashing and everything else that's needed in practice for a P2P blockchain network.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline btswolf

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Fix UX and UI, then promote.

It's not ready for promotion until it's at least as good as Bitshares 1.0. It needs to just work, it needs also to make importing a lot easier, and to reduce resources upon importing large amounts of private keys.

Anyone who has 50,000-100,000 private keys is going to have to wait a long long time to import and it might use gigs of ram. There has to be a way to deal with this problem first.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline testz

Instead of making it self moderated, introduce a local rule: DecentralizeEconomics not allowed. Its allowed according to Bitcointalk rules which means any post of him in the thread will get deleted by moderators if reported.

I can open the thread if anyone can give me the content (I am a Hero Member). The best would be for Bytemaster to do so, but testz can also do it (he is a legendary Member)

This is an fork announcement thread:
[ANN] BitShares 2.0 Pitchfork Date is October 13, 2015
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1175641.0

I think we should use it, and update according release, but @Stan right, everybody from BTT already know about BitShares 2.0 release and new dedicated thread bring only DE with his pictures  :) it's also funny to have but we have more important things to do.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Go For it.

You can draw from several [ANN] threads I posted there over the past month or make up your own drawing from the web site or Xeroc's documentation.

Thanks. 

I'd love to see DE's face when he finds out it's just him.  Is there an option to use his laptop camera when the "sorry" message is first displayed?

;)

Stan
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:34:19 am by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline bytemaster

Sounds like a good plan to have such a thread.   
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Instead of making it self moderated, introduce a local rule: DecentralizeEconomics not allowed. Its allowed according to Bitcointalk rules which means any post of him in the thread will get deleted by moderators if reported.

I can open the thread if anyone can give me the content (I am a Hero Member). The best would be for Bytemaster to do so, but testz can also do it (he is a legendary Member)

@bytemaster
@testz

Offline habeler

1LeQTkxdpvZFU23qA22xas2zvqzTHMa48T
bts-habeler876