Author Topic: Bitshares 1.0 to 2.0 is super confusing  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
Great question on the full node.  Something like this project made even easier would be nice: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,17297.0.html

Offline crypto4ever

• View Profile
don't install the cli tools!

rather install the LIGHT-WALLET
or use openledger.info or bitshares.org/wallet

I already said:

I don't want to run a light wallet to depend on someone else's interpretation of the blockchain by discovering an IP in the forums or adding a manual config to attach my light wallet to their system.

I want to run a full node, so I can pull in the blockchain myself, and have my own light client talk to it

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
don't install the cli tools!

rather install the LIGHT-WALLET
or use openledger.info or bitshares.org/wallet

Offline crypto4ever

• View Profile
I don't want to run a light wallet to depend on someone else's interpretation of the blockchain by discovering an IP in the forums or adding a manual config to attach my light wallet to their system.

I want to run a full node, so I can pull in the blockchain myself, and have my own light client talk to it.

Here's what I did on Windows:

1. I downloaded and installed the bitshares-cli tools. I was dismayed to find it wants command line switches, even in Windows.  I do know how to run Linux, but for simplicity sake, I want to start bitshares-cli and have a gui menu pop up and allow me to specify the command line switches with a graphic user interface in Windows.

2. So once I realized I can't run a full node with a gui interface without jumping to the cmd prompt, that proved to be very futile

3. So now, my last 0.92 Bitshares chain is now useless to me at this stage. I now sit unsync'd, and my wallet is dormant. I'm not seeing the latest enhancements or participating anymore.

My two questions are:

Q1) Why is running a full node in Windows non-gui, and why does it need to be so technical with command line switches and parameters?

AND

Q2) Even if Q1 above is true, why is there no walk through or youtube video produced that explains in layman's terms on how to download and sync your wallet and run your own full node if you want to in Windows?  I shouldn't have to read tons of wiki stuff, forum posts, etc. Infact there's no readme included with the install?

This is how user-friendly [sic] my bitshares2 directory looks:

c:\Program Files\Bitshares 2\

bin
unins000.dat
unins000.exe
unins000msg

That's what you get.

Double-click on witness_node.exe and an MSDOS window opens with red text complaining about paths...

Huh?

It seems that we're racing ahead by implementing the structure of Bitshares and the technology by leaving user-friendliness behind.

Hope that Bitshares isn't just built by geeks, "for geeks". Some of us don't trust other "Witness full nodes" and want to run our own "witness node" to download our own copy of the blockchain.  I know how bitcoin does it, and thought I could have my own BTS chain downloaded without jumping through too many hoops to do it.

If this stuff isn't easy for me, the last thing I am going to do is try and find friends and family to participate if I can't figure it out myself.

The purpose of this post is to bring awareness to those "already up to speed" in the project, who have been following its development to understand what someone like myself is seeing.  We may be leaving people behind here, and I'm one of them.

Help...

I'm a firm believer that a witness_node shouldn't open a black DOS window and complain about path errors...

It should be slightly (sarcasm) more user friendly than that...