Author Topic: 100 BitUSD for Tutorial on How to Sync BitShares 0.9.x  (Read 3551 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
1) go to advanced settings
2) open the "console"
3) type "info"

if the last block time was only 'days' ago and not weeks .. then you are good to go.
The network has "severe networking issues" because the network has been halted in favor of BTS2

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
I'm trying to sync using 0.9.3c and I downloaded the chain file.  But when I bring up the gui it doesn't connect because it says Severe Network Problems at the bottom right.  When I hover over the message it says,
 "delegate participation rate is below 60%, please consider to postpone all transfers until the rate is back to 100%"

Is this to be expected now?  I was able to connect & download the chain previously in late Oct.

If you have downloaded the chain (file) you do not need to worry what the GUI says [about connecting or anything at all really].

-Just go to the console and type "rescan"
-wait and when it is done export keys.[explained in other tutorials]

Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline kingslanding

• View Profile
I'm trying to sync using 0.9.3c and I downloaded the chain file.  But when I bring up the gui it doesn't connect because it says Severe Network Problems at the bottom right.  When I hover over the message it says,
 "delegate participation rate is below 60%, please consider to postpone all transfers until the rate is back to 100%"

Is this to be expected now?  I was able to connect & download the chain previously in late Oct.
BTS username/address:   kingslanding9999

Offline rgcrypto

• View Profile
    • Cryptoctopus Blog
It's not nonsense. BM is asking for something that is needed. My comment was not flip or sarcastic. It was based upon experience with two different operating systems and the latest 0.9.3c wallet. I did not have firewalls blocking ports and had high speed Internet connectivity.

Syncing the older wallet was very problematic, typically taking a day or more to update the database and fully sync, often times hanging at some point in the process. This is a very serious issue and is possibly one of the most damaging things to BTS' reputation.

If a guide were to be established that was 100% reproducible on all platforms (WIn, OSX, Linux), it would be an excellent thing to have.

I'm on the same boat. It took me a while to find @betax copy of the blockchain, then it took me 4 days to execute the "scan" command line. (either had a window update in the middle of the night restarting my computer or the software crashing on me at the 11th hour two time)

This morning I finally finished the scanning...but I'm still missing a big chunk of my funds. Now running

wallet_regenerate_keys ACCOUNT-NAME 10500   ...and I am at 3% after 2 hours.

So yeah, it's a problem and I wish it didn't take me a month to get to this point. Hopefully, this last command will actually get me my funds back.

Offline betax

• View Profile
Here is my fully sync wallet to aid on this, I uploaded a month ago. I guess it has been lost with other support queries.

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,19025.msg244713.html#msg244713
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
This is nonsense.

The tutorial is as follows:

- 1. Copy any fully synced [synced to the snapshot of BTS 2.0 time] wallet folder [ Linux and Windows have no problem just using folder from their OS or the other OS] ; 1b download it from here   ,if you do not have a friend to send that folder to you.

- 2. Replace your current wallet folder with the one in point 1. -  for example, by deleting the current wallet folder and pasting the one in point 1.

[edit]
Sorry, this tutorial do not cover non-supported OS like the one with the half eaten apple. What was its name, again?
It might as well do, but we can simple not have a machine with every possible OS out there.

1.  Where do I get this fully synced wallet folder?  You didn't provide a link.
2.  These are poor instructions because they require the user to copy several gigabytes too many
3.  These instructions are don't say where to put the folder
4.   There are no screenshots showing step by step instructions.
5.  I should help the user understand reindexing vs wallet scanning

I don't pay the bounty for smart ass answers.  To claim this bounty the tutorial needs to be complete, hosted, well formatted / friendly, and something we could host at bitshares.org

I see, I failed to keep up to the high standards set by...the API documentation for example. :)

Offline bytemaster

This is nonsense.

- 1. Copy any fully synced [synced to the snapshot of BTS 2.0 time] wallet folder [ Linux and Windows have no problem just using folder from their OS or the other OS] ; 1b download it from here   ,if you do not have a friend to send that folder to you.

- 2. Replace your current wallet folder with the one in point 1. -  for example, by deleting the current wallet folder and pasting the one in point 1.

[edit]
Sorry, this tutorial do not cover non-supported OS like the one with the half eaten apple. What was its name, again?
It might as well do, but we can simple not have a machine with every possible OS out there.

1.  Where do I get this fully synced wallet folder?  You didn't provide a link.
2.  These are poor instructions because they require the user to copy several gigabytes too many
3.  These instructions are don't say where to put the folder
4.   There are no screenshots showing step by step instructions.
5.  I should help the user understand reindexing vs wallet scanning

I don't pay the bounty for smart ass answers.  To claim this bounty the tutorial needs to be complete, hosted, well formatted / friendly, and something we could host at bitshares.org

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
It's not nonsense. BM is asking for something that is needed. My comment was not flip or sarcastic. It was based upon experience with two different operating systems and the latest 0.9.3c wallet. I did not have firewalls blocking ports and had high speed Internet connectivity.

Syncing the older wallet was very problematic, typically taking a day or more to update the database and fully sync, often times hanging at some point in the process. This is a very serious issue and is possibly one of the most damaging things to BTS' reputation.

If a guide were to be established that was 100% reproducible on all platforms (WIn, OSX, Linux), it would be an excellent thing to have.

Well, if this is the case you and BM can  send me the 100 bitUSD. Our solution works on 2 of the 2 major OS...so.

BTS account: first-personal

Any tips in any form are gladly welcomed!
*Well except for BROWNIE.PTS, that is. The account is set to reject those and return them to the sender.  :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 02:46:14 am by tonyk »

Offline wmbutler

• View Profile
    • Music City Bitcoins
  • GitHub: wmbutler

PTS: PnBVP1iLTsV6U8z4BeJYhF8jMpkLhtTi9r
BTS2.0: billbutler
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

Offline Buck Fankers

• Under New Management
    • View Profile
    • TuckFheman.com
  • BitShares: buckfankers
100 bitusd for tutorial on how to sync??? where was this generosity when i type up a few hundred thousand words in transcripts for bts and u say 'market rate'??? i need a 'smh' icon :-X

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
This is nonsense.

[edit]
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 01:15:45 am by tonyk »

Offline wmbutler

• View Profile
    • Music City Bitcoins
  • GitHub: wmbutler
I really hope someone can make this happen. I've never been able to make the 0.9.x wallet work reliably on OS X.
PTS: PnBVP1iLTsV6U8z4BeJYhF8jMpkLhtTi9r
BTS2.0: billbutler
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

unreadPostsSinceLastVisit

Is the windows GUI identical to the linux GUI?

What is the path in windows that would correspond to /home/LinuxUserName/.BitShares?

After replacing the chain file, is a rescan all that's needed? Would it be better to advise users to do a complete rescan, or to figure out what block was before the last transaction they scanned, and start from there?

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav