Author Topic: What is this UIA: UBIcoin?  (Read 2554 times)

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
    • twitter.com/jonnybitcoin
yeah i know a few people there but there system is centralised and there would be no point for them to put it on a blockchain.
No point for them anyway.
I run the @bitshares twitter handle
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Uphold.com full membership requires your phone number, name and a scan of your passport as well as a picture of you holding your passport.
Basically it is impossible to setup more than one account with them. (sybil attack solved)
It is also free and easy for me or anyone to check an email address to see if they are a full member. (so outsourcing the verification to uphold)

As for how ubicoin has value I had 3 ideas, number 2 is my current favourite.

1.) simply raise money from governments, charities, big business, rich people who like the idea and then divide the amount donated between everyone.

2.) Raise money in the same way but use it to put a floor in the price of ubicoin through the bitshares market. so ubicoin would be free floating currency with a huge buy wall set at a low dollar value to stop it ever being completely worthless.

3.)  Don't get any donations and issue the coin as a free floating currency like bitcoin and let market forces decide its value.

I believe the more fairly disrtributed a cryptocoin is the more likely it will have value.
I am building a website for this project that will hopefully be up soon. 

me on twitter: @JonnyBitcoin

Do you know the people behind uphold.com? May they be interested in flagging users as "verified" using a blockchain?

unreadPostsSinceLastVisit

I feel like the main bottleneck in getting a good distribution would be publicity.

This sounds really cool and I'm glad to see there are brighter minds than mine working on this.

My gut reaction is to be in favor of idea 1 but idea 2 is a unique approach. I can't wait to see what you come up with on the website you're making.

Regarding funding sources, I kind of think that governments, big business, and most rich people wouldn't be interested in participating. I think there should be a fund raising effort to create brick and mortar businesses that compete in the free market to support the UBI fund. Then some of the cash could be put into publicizing the effort.

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile

Uphold.com full membership requires your phone number, name and a scan of your passport as well as a picture of you holding your passport.
Basically it is impossible to setup more than one account with them. (sybil attack solved)
It is also free and easy for me or anyone to check an email address to see if they are a full member. (so outsourcing the verification to uphold)

As for how ubicoin has value I had 3 ideas, number 2 is my current favourite.

1.) simply raise money from governments, charities, big business, rich people who like the idea and then divide the amount donated between everyone.

2.) Raise money in the same way but use it to put a floor in the price of ubicoin through the bitshares market. so ubicoin would be free floating currency with a huge buy wall set at a low dollar value to stop it ever being completely worthless.

3.)  Don't get any donations and issue the coin as a free floating currency like bitcoin and let market forces decide its value.

I believe the more fairly disrtributed a cryptocoin is the more likely it will have value.
I am building a website for this project that will hopefully be up soon. 

me on twitter: @JonnyBitcoin

twitter.com/bitshares

How would it be funded?

Or is the thinking just to establish the coin and distribution mechanism, then try to figure out a funding source later?

I feel like something would have to give it value-- and I'm betting whales wouldn't be interested in holding a coin with wealth redistribution built in.

If there were a brick and mortar business associated with the UBI then sybil attacks would be easy to prevent by using a person's social security number (or whatever their country uses as a unique identifier) to generate a private key, wouldn't they? Or perhaps this is essentially what uphold.com does?

Have you ever considered picking out a small state or country, and figuring out how much money would be needed to fund a UBI for them for x years then aiming for that as a long term goal? Even if we fell short of creating a proper UBI, we could still help provide science with opportunities to research the effects of a UBI- which would provide evidence that UBI supporters could use to argue.

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
If anyone has a better simpler yet secure idea to prevent sybil attacks I'd be very interested to hear from you.

Or if anyone wants to help me with this ubi project let me know.

here is a reddit for crypto UBI specifically: https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoUBI

twitter.com/bitshares

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
yes I am a big fan of Unconditional basic income as well as bitshares and want to issue UBICOIN. As I'm sure you're aware the hardest problem with UBI is preventing sybil attacks.

My current thinking is I will give free coins to anyone who is a full member of uphold.com
twitter.com/bitshares

@JonnyBitcoin looks like you issed the asset. you doing something with this?

richlist.btsgame org is blocked by malwarebytes. be careful.

thanks. ive seen people here link to it before. thought somebody the forum is familiar with made it.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
richlist.btsgame org is blocked by malwarebytes. be careful.

And whats an UBI ?

http://reddit.com/r/BasicIncome/

probably not a popular idea here, but somebody made a UIA so that's why I'm asking about it here.

Offline bitacer

And whats an UBI ?

I'm very much in support of a UBI. And I see a token called "UBIcoin" on http://richlist.btsgame.org/ which two people hold right now.

Is somebody trying to use a crypto to start a UBI because that would be awesome. I seem to recall somebody posting somewhere with the idea on these boards a while back, but they got blasted by the resident libertarianism.