Author Topic: Graphene-ui update and Worker Proposal for UI Project Manager  (Read 13979 times)

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
I need a few more votes within the next 16 hours to complete the worker proposal:

update_worker_votes your-account {"vote_for":["1.14.9"]} true

Pinged @xeroc and @mindphlux

and @bytemaster

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
I need a few more votes within the next 16 hours to complete the worker proposal:

Pinged @xeroc and @mindphlux
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline wmbutler

• View Profile
    • Music City Bitcoins
  • GitHub: wmbutler
@TravelsAsia I looked at it and directed users to github. A lot of those comments were a month old and many issues have been fixed.

All,

PTS: PnBVP1iLTsV6U8z4BeJYhF8jMpkLhtTi9r
BTS2.0: billbutler
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

Offline twitter

• View Profile
witness:

jakub

TravelsAsia

You might want to take a look at the roadmap post made by Jakub.

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,20171.0.html

Maybe that will also help in your proposed role. I also think you are asking for too little each month. :)

iHashFury

Could we add a help link to the GUI that directs users to the forum helpdesk.

Staff support could be rated by quality of experience and paid in BROWNIES.

eg

*                           10 BROWNIES
**                         20 BROWNIES
***                       30 BROWNIES
****                     40 BROWNIES
*****                100 BROWNIES   +5%

Users get 24 hour ticketed help and staff have an incentive to help.

Offline wmbutler

• View Profile
    • Music City Bitcoins
All,

I resubmitted my worker proposal to begin 11/24. Hopefully this gives enough time for votes:

http://cryptofresh.com/workers

It's Bitshares UI Project Coordinator (1.14.9)

Vote from the cli:

Code: [Select]

Offline btstip

• View Profile
  • BitShares: btstip-io
Hey Tuck Fheman, here are the results of your tips...
  • wmbutler: has been credited 100 BEYONDBITCOIN
  • wmbutler: has been credited 1 FISTBUMP
  • wmbutler: has been credited 1 HIGHFIVE
  • wmbutler: has been credited 1 GREATIDEA
  • wmbutler: has been credited 100 TIPSHARES
Curious about BtsTip? Visit us at http://sharebits.io and start tipping BTS on https://bitsharestalk.org/ today!
Created by hybridd

Tuck Fheman

#sharebits "wmbutler" 100 BEYONDBITCOIN
#sharebits "wmbutler" 1 FISTBUMP
#sharebits "wmbutler" 1 HIGHFIVE
#sharebits "wmbutler" 1 GREATIDEA
#sharebits "wmbutler" 100 TIPSHARES

Offline wmbutler

• View Profile
    • Music City Bitcoins
All,

I'll try to address all questions in this post. First of all, I'm not big on titles. So, let's just say I'm trying to provide some order and clarity. I do not make the final call or set concrete deadlines. I'm simply trying to provide a general framework that should make priorities clear to the community. My worker proposal only covers the graphene-ui repo. I probably put 1-3 hours per day into it and am asking to be paid around $17 per day. If you like the work that I've done so far, it's a pretty fair deal.

@maqifrnswa

1) graphene-ui is a CNX project that is licensed to bitshares. Bitshares will be paying you to manage graphene. Is CNX ok with a non-employee managing their releases?
They seem to be fine with it so far. It was their suggestion that I carve out a worker proposal.
2) Will you have commit access/tag access to the offical repos?
I do have commit access to the graphene-ui repo
3) The role appears to be mostly community organizing, bug triage, illustration of goals (all very important for a successful project). In the end these are just "suggestions" (although probably very good ones) of priorities. Are you the one that will say "we won't release until X Y Z are fixed?" or is it more helping articulate highest priorities from the input from the community?
I will articulate the status of items in the github issues thread. I will also provide a summary announcement like the top of this thread every Wednesday or Thursday ( timed with the Wednesday release dates)

@cube

1) Is such a role missing in CNX currently
Yes
2) why is this role needed, and
Because bugs and needed UX/UI items were stacking up and were not getting resolved.
3) assuming (1) and (2), how has wmbutler contributed to the co-oridination and project management of graphene-ui development so far?
I have established weekly milestones and have provided UX mockups. Since I started working with the graphene-ui team, we have completed 2 Milestones and have squashed 24 bugs and have released 16 enhancements.

1) Read and respond to all github issues posted by users. Request clarification where needed.
2) Maintain weekly Milestones with an achievable number of issues in each Milestone
3) Prioritize issues by urgency (a) bugs (b) required features (c) nice to have features
4) Remove duplicates and reference tracked items
5) Provide UX/UI visuals?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Those are the deliverables.

How are the milestones going to be defined and reported?

Github

Closed Milestones (2.0.151111 and 2.0.151125)
https://github.com/cryptonomex/graphene-ui/milestones?state=closed

Open Milestones
https://github.com/cryptonomex/graphene-ui/milestones?state=open

Will there be a Microsoft Project Management type of Gantt chart to schedule and track milestones and reported issues?
No just github

Will there be a report that says how many issues resolved, how many pending, and how many delayed and/or cannot be resolved (and the reasons why)?
Yes, github

Thanks for providing the link. What I see is a bunch of jumbled up issues (enhancements requests, enhancement planned, bugs reported) grouped into a so-called 'milestones'.  The 'milestones' are meaningless version coding and they have no description what-soever.  Neither do they have a clearly defined estimated start and end dates (with estimated task duration) and who are the people assigned to the development tasks.  IMHO, having such a grouping does not help in providing visibility, accountability nor manageability.

Watch the Milestones carefully. It allows for visibility, accountability and manageability, maybe just not in the way you are used to seeing it. It's not jumbled up. It's discrete tasks tagged and assigned to the proper team member with a due date and visibility into the progress. It's a great tool once you get the hang of it.

I would like to suggest to the OP to change the role from 'Project Manager' to 'Project Co-ordinator' in order to avoid any potential misunderstandings.
Make no difference to me what I'm called.

@jakub

Hopefully this message will suffice

@mike623317

Noted. We will break things down into bitesized pieces. Rome wasn't built in a day. I would suggest that you register for a github account and begin to interact there for UI requests. It's a more direct line to the devs and a much more purpose built tool that this discussion board.

@Thom

You hit the nail on the head. Things felt really sluggish after the release. That is why I offered my services. I truly believe we can make the UI awesome and will do everything in my power to help.

@clayop

How does one set the voting period. I did not see that in the syntax.

@Ben Mason

Thanks. We use a zenhub plugin for github wich adds a kanban board and includes priority and estimates. Github allows devs to claim the item already. We also have a test column although not a very formal testing process (yet). You can download zenhub and see the pipelines.

@svk

Thanks for the kind words. BTW, @svk created the markets list and favs based upon my UX. So, hopefully more of that is to follow.

Offline svk

I like to hear from the dev team members ( Daniel Larimer, Sigve Kvalsvik, James Calfee, Valentine Zavgorodnev, Fabian Schuh, cass) on their view of this Project Manager role - specifically:

1) Is such a role missing in CNX currently,
2) why is this role needed, and
3) assuming (1) and (2), how has wmbutler contributed to the co-oridination and project management of graphene-ui development so far?

I like to ask wmbutler :

What are the deliverables that you will be providing to the community in the process of performing the tasks defined in https://docs.google.com/document/d/14d9bBAyUoB9wcBpFnYoGpE1MF0RnOwMKpF2Z8eh0QkI/edit (quoting here):

1) Read and respond to all github issues posted by users. Request clarification where needed.
2) Maintain weekly Milestones with an achievable number of issues in each Milestone
3) Prioritize issues by urgency (a) bugs (b) required features (c) nice to have features
4) Remove duplicates and reference tracked items
5) Provide UX/UI visuals?

How are the milestones going to be defined and reported?

Will there be a Microsoft Project Management type of Gantt chart to schedule and track milesstones and reported issues?

Will there be a report that says how many issues resolved, how many pending, and how many delayed and/or cannot be resolved (and the reasons why)?

I fully support this, wmbutler has been a breath of fresh air since he started getting involved, providing excellent advise on UX and making some great mockups that help focus the development and discussion around it. He's also introduced weekly milestones and done some great work on organising the github issues.

The role of project manager is one that's been acutely missing from the Graphene development (both GUI and toolkit), it's been very ad-hoc so far so I'm very happy he's stepped up to get things organized. Having weekly milestones with clear priorities is great for us developers. Having a project manager also makes it much easier for new people to come in, as he has a clear view of what's being worked on, what's complicated and what's easy, and can direct new contributors to where their skills will be best utilised.

So to sum it up: He's great to have around for us in the development team, and definitely deserves being voted in.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

jakub

The proposal seems to be not accepted. @wmbutler Could you make another proposal with addressing above questions and longer voting period?

Voting period? I don't see a voting period in gui. Could somebody point me to summary of how the voting works? What are requirements of proposal to be accepted?

That's the problem - there is still no guide on the most important thing in DPOS i.e. voting.
Other subjects are more or less covered but AFAIK voting has not be touched yet (@xeroc , please correct me if I'm wrong) 
http://docs.bitshares.eu/bitshares/index.html

Sometimes I am a bit confused myself and regarding wmbutler's proposal I was not aware of any deadline so I missed my chance to support it.

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
I think this is a very important role....great work wmbutler! 

I appreciate this may be quite a challenge, but if you could increase the information available to include;

Priority - how urgent the resolution is considered to be
Developers - who is working on it
Completion estimate - the amount of time resolution likely to take
Status - active (being worked on,) standby (waiting for attention,) postponed (was active, now waiting for attention,) ready for testing, tested - fail, tested - passed, ready for release
Worker contract - who is providing the effort

There is probably more useful information we can come up with.....the objective would be to produce a fluid, web of categorised work items that can inform the community, current workers, potential workers and can adapt in an organised way.

No doubt each development worker will have their own change management processes.....but if we can merge all of it into a cohesive plan, the combined efforts will be more efficient and adaptive.

Great stuff so far though!!