Author Topic: [POLL] Hangout Transcripts = BitShares History : Would you donate to help fund?  (Read 4633 times)

Offline fuzzy

Hm.....wait wait wait...
What if you compiled all the transcripts you have made already and put them into a "book" kind of like the Nullstreet Journal was, then sell it to people for collectors value and to give them a chance to own a strong piece of bitshares' history?

I get what you're saying and on the surface it sounds like a good idea. Ultimately though, my feelings are, it's like me grabbing a bunch of freely available pirated movies and compiling them into a DVD and selling it. ;) None of what I pay to have typed up or type up myself are my thoughts or words, they are yours and Dan's and a few others. If anyone wants to read my new book, Chapters 1-25 or so can be found at BeyondBitcoin.org and the ending can be read at BitSharesNews.info. If you'd like to donate for the free book, please send your donation to the address mentioned in the first post of this thread. ;)

lol...I would buy in if we could get something organized.  Probably not for another month or two though cause daddy is gonna be poor after xmas :D
then again...my wife still is wanting me to tell her what I want.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline BitShares News

• The Source for Hangout Transcripts
    • View Profile
    • BitShares Blockchain News
  • BitShares: bitshares-news
there's little demand for your service it seems.

45% of the voters read the transcripts. I don't think that equates to "little demand". That's a higher percentage of people than voted for the current US president and not all precincts have reported in at this time. ;)

you can see the transcriptions as free BitShares SEO for your blog. that way it becomes profitable even without donations.

That probably explains why I said that same thing in my original post. ;)
This blog has ceased operation. http://goo.gl/2uU8s7

Offline BitShares News

• View Profile
Hm.....wait wait wait...
What if you compiled all the transcripts you have made already and put them into a "book" kind of like the Nullstreet Journal was, then sell it to people for collectors value and to give them a chance to own a strong piece of bitshares' history?

I get what you're saying and on the surface it sounds like a good idea. Ultimately though, my feelings are, it's like me grabbing a bunch of freely available pirated movies and compiling them into a DVD and selling it. ;) None of what I pay to have typed up or type up myself are my thoughts or words, they are yours and Dan's and a few others. If anyone wants to read my new book, Chapters 1-25 or so can be found at BeyondBitcoin.org and the ending can be read at BitSharesNews.info. If you'd like to donate for the free book, please send your donation to the address mentioned in the first post of this thread. ;)

Offline fuzzy

how I see it:

you can see the transcriptions as free BitShares SEO for your blog. that way it becomes profitable even without donations.

or just stop doing it and use the time for better things :)

Always an option.  This is true!  Good input fav.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav

how I see it:

or just stop doing it and use the time for better things :)

Offline fuzzy

What if you put them up and let people donate to "unlock" them?  Would this be worthwhile?  I personally think it would be...but I am not able to say for others..  just trying to find solutions :/

I would never consider doing that. I think paywalls are an abomination.  Information should be free and will remain that way as long as that information is on a site that I control. I simply don't want to go broke supplying free information, so I'm trying to get a little help in that department. As stated above, once referrals can come close to covering cost there will be no need to ask for donations. The donations are simply being asked for to prevent me from going broke trying to supply this information to everyone freely. If money were not an issue, I wouldn't even ask for donations, but I'm not a rich person, I don't know how to trade like JonnyBitshares and I'm not handsome enough to be a BTS-gigolo like 38PTSWarrior. ;)

Yeh...but that is the problem isn't it?  I mean...should information be free?  Or should it go to people who care enough to give you something (small) for it?  When information is free for consumers...it is expensive for you.  If info costs just something small for consumers, you give them the opportunity to give something.  With a paywall that is something like 10k bts (what, 30-40 dollars?) there should be SOME whale out there who hates listening to hangouts and prefers reading over transcripts in half the time...who would be willing to drop large chunks of that 10k, which would enable others to pay far less...and still others to get it free of charge.  I'd gladly sponsor it and distribute 1 BeyondBitcoin token for every 100BTS given if you can find an easy way to make it happen.  Then they would gain a small bit of ownership in Beyond Bitcoin in return :)

Naturally, though, these are only ideas I just thought up when sitting here reading your post. So if I'm missing something vital please let me know.

I can see if you were asking for huge sums of money--but dang man, you are talking 10k bts a week...which isn't much in terms of dollars between those who use it.

Hm.....wait wait wait...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:58:32 am by fuzzy »

Offline BitShares News

• View Profile
What if you put them up and let people donate to "unlock" them?  Would this be worthwhile?  I personally think it would be...but I am not able to say for others..  just trying to find solutions :/

I would never consider doing that. I think paywalls are an abomination.  Information should be free and will remain that way as long as that information is on a site that I control. I simply don't want to go broke supplying free information, so I'm trying to get a little help in that department. As stated above, once referrals can come close to covering cost there will be no need to ask for donations. The donations are simply being asked for to prevent me from going broke trying to supply this information to everyone freely. If money were not an issue, I wouldn't even ask for donations, but I'm not a rich person, I don't know how to trade like JonnyBitshares and I'm not handsome enough to be a BTS-gigolo like 38PTSWarrior. ;)

Offline fuzzy

I know it is 'apparent' to you [and you only] that I hate you.

Yeah I can vouch for you on that one.

You're way off here fuzzy, although it may not be readily apparent to you ... you are waaaay off.

I rarely if ever hear anything positive from tony about what I have done.  And this is not mentioning other things that have been said to me behind the scenes by tony before to me in private conversations.  If tony doesn't hate me...i would really feel bad for those who he does hate.

Regardless it is pointless to worry about.  I'm ending it here and will start ignoring tony because honestly it makes very little sense to do anything else.   

Tuck Fheman

I know it is 'apparent' to you [and you only] that I hate you.

Yeah I can vouch for you on that one.

You're way off here fuzzy, although it may not be readily apparent to you ... you are waaaay off.

Offline fuzzy

Most people are different from me and the shows are excellent, but I'm more of a reader than a listener. I read the transcripts to see if I've missed anything useful that hasn't appeared on the forum. I speed read pretty quickly, and that's how I get most of my information. So yes, I would donate a little

Thanks for the feedback and the offer to donate!

but it's probably unlikely that you're going to get the kind of donations you're talking about in terms of these costs.

10,000 BTS per transcript would ease the pain tremendously and if we held it until the price rebounds and/or BTC rises more it would cover our cost easily. So it's not a lot split between 10-20 people who read the transcript. I also personally believe there are a lot of people who read the transcripts that are not a part of this community and I believe that number will grow significantly in the future. This is a big reason why I chose to pay to have them produced or type them out myself. The other reason is I comprehend more of what was said by reading through the transcript and am able to easily find when/where something was said so I can refer back to the point(s) being made later if and when needed.

The bigger question may be, is this transcripting sustainable? Hopefully, the poll will help.

If I do them myself it cost me nothing but my time. So as long as I'm willing to give up an entire day's daylight and my fingers are up to it, it's sustainable without any monetary cost at all. ;)  You are correct in that the poll will help that. If there are under 10 people reading the transcript it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend the time or money to have one created while eating all of the cost (or time), other than my belief that it ultimately will be beneficial to BitShares in the long run. Knowing that a group of people are reading the transcripts inspires me to get it done and makes it feel more worthwhile than doing it with only hope that others are reading them. So I'm glad to see that there is a small group of interested people, because it's not a lot of fun to sing to an empty opera house. ;)

#sharebits "donkeypong" 1 KUDOS

Offline fuzzy

Most people are different from me and the shows are excellent, but I'm more of a reader than a listener. I read the transcripts to see if I've missed anything useful that hasn't appeared on the forum. I speed read pretty quickly, and that's how I get most of my information. So yes, I would donate a little, but it's probably unlikely that you're going to get the kind of donations you're talking about in terms of these costs. The bigger question may be, is this transcripting sustainable? Hopefully, the poll will help.

The problem with this idea is that many people think bitshares based efforts should be sustainable out of the box.  Being grassroots initiatives...it isn't going to happen without years of losses and sacrifice.  @donkeypong It is awesome you would donate too, but I honestly am at a loss why so many in our community will not give just a small donation for something obviously helping those performing the service. 

Why?  Because for such a small price...they would gain a significant level of loyalty from the individual(s) doing the work for very low prices.  Yes...a free market is what we want, but until we have the foundation built we cannot expect sustainability to happen.  I honestly do not know of a single project in bitshares that is currently "sustainable".  And if there is, please point us to it so we can see it and dissect it to see the working components?  The only one I can think of that might be...would be Cryptonomex, and even they likely had to receive vc funding...which takes the power away from the community.  Now if the community wants to significantly reduce their control over how bitshares will grow during its early and most formative years, then I guess we should start telling people to look for vc's to fund them...VC's, mind you, who likely have little care for our early hopes for what we want bts to become and represent.  Just mho...

I'd love to dig deeper to find solutions though :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:09:20 am by fuzzy »

Offline btstip

• View Profile
  • BitShares: btstip-io
Hey BitShares News, here are the results of your tips...
Curious about BtsTip? Visit us at http://sharebits.io and start tipping BTS on https://bitsharestalk.org/ today!
Created by hybridd

Offline BitShares News

• View Profile
Most people are different from me and the shows are excellent, but I'm more of a reader than a listener. I read the transcripts to see if I've missed anything useful that hasn't appeared on the forum. I speed read pretty quickly, and that's how I get most of my information. So yes, I would donate a little

Thanks for the feedback and the offer to donate!

but it's probably unlikely that you're going to get the kind of donations you're talking about in terms of these costs.

10,000 BTS per transcript would ease the pain tremendously and if we held it until the price rebounds and/or BTC rises more it would cover our cost easily. So it's not a lot split between 10-20 people who read the transcript. I also personally believe there are a lot of people who read the transcripts that are not a part of this community and I believe that number will grow significantly in the future. This is a big reason why I chose to pay to have them produced or type them out myself. The other reason is I comprehend more of what was said by reading through the transcript and am able to easily find when/where something was said so I can refer back to the point(s) being made later if and when needed.

The bigger question may be, is this transcripting sustainable? Hopefully, the poll will help.

If I do them myself it cost me nothing but my time. So as long as I'm willing to give up an entire day's daylight and my fingers are up to it, it's sustainable without any monetary cost at all. ;)  You are correct in that the poll will help that. If there are under 10 people reading the transcript it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend the time or money to have one created while eating all of the cost (or time), other than my belief that it ultimately will be beneficial to BitShares in the long run. Knowing that a group of people are reading the transcripts inspires me to get it done and makes it feel more worthwhile than doing it with only hope that others are reading them. So I'm glad to see that there is a small group of interested people, because it's not a lot of fun to sing to an empty opera house. ;)

#sharebits "donkeypong" 1 KUDOS

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Most people are different from me and the shows are excellent, but I'm more of a reader than a listener. I read the transcripts to see if I've missed anything useful that hasn't appeared on the forum. I speed read pretty quickly, and that's how I get most of my information. So yes, I would donate a little, but it's probably unlikely that you're going to get the kind of donations you're talking about in terms of these costs. The bigger question may be, is this transcripting sustainable? Hopefully, the poll will help.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Am I missing something here?

I thought the new big ass butt to kiss (aka brownie distributor) had been given unlimited brownies just for stuff like that?

Doesn't he sees initiative other than his own show as having similar value [let's not talk about bigger or beyond impact here; pun...well you know]  and so deserving brownies?

I do and I plan to pay it out every week.  But then again, I must also be a big ass butt to kiss for HIGHFIVEs and FISTBUMPs...

Ironically it seems you hate me Tony...no clue why, but I recall one time when you said "you definitely add alot of value fuzzy, just not sure how to quantify it".  Seems you have changed your mind...somewhere around the time I asked you in mumble to let someone speak before you kept attacking.  That is the pivot point and I think it is important that everyone should probably know a little bit more about you...since you are so intent on me.  Once again... you are trying to shut down another beautiful attempt to make something valuable for bitshares...and it is becomming apparent to more than just me bro.
I know it is 'apparent' to you [and you only] that I hate you. Then again it is all about YOU apparently.
the utmost fuzzy authority of value in BTS ecosystem.
whatever dude.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.