Author Topic: Number of Witnesses  (Read 2741 times)

Offline roadscape

I've come to realise that the number of witnesses is irrelevant from the POV of decentralisation.

What matters is controlling stake. Right now, one account could vote out/in a majority of its own witnesses without any other intervention; essentially controlling the entire network.

+5% +5% +5% +5%

Gotta get the vote out.
85% of stake is not voting.
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
because witnesses have to pay for servers and so on. more witnesses = less money for them.
Almost .. All witnesses are paid a fixed amount of BTS.
More witnesses means more costs for the DAC.

I don't think it works like that, each witness gets the same pay per block -- so more witnesses doesn't effect DAC expenses but reduces witness daily pay since each witness gets fewer blocks.

+5%
Dang .. you are so right .. block interval is constant and bts pays per block ..

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
because witnesses have to pay for servers and so on. more witnesses = less money for them.

I don't think it works like that, each witness gets the same pay per block -- so more witnesses doesn't effect DAC expenses but reduces witness daily pay since each witness gets fewer blocks.

+5%

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile

maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

bytemaster recommended 17 witnesses in total by the way.
Not sure it was meant as a "recommendation". I think it was meant as the lowest
number that makes sense to provoke a discussion

edit: also, coordination is key and gets very hard the more witnesses run
Witnesses don't need to coordinate at all. Committee members need to.

Offline monsterer

I've come to realise that the number of witnesses is irrelevant from the POV of decentralisation.

What matters is controlling stake. Right now, one account could vote out/in a majority of its own witnesses without any other intervention; essentially controlling the entire network.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
17 does not seem like a robust network, does it?
Will this stay like that?
I am sure a few people on the waiting list have dedicated servers running Bitshares as a witness and still waiting while dedicating resources and time to it.
There are not many candidates, 42 does not seem like a lot,  and so limiting it even further does not seem like the right strategy for a strong and healthy network.
Comments or thoughts welcome.

there are some threads about this topic, I'd recommend you to search this forum via google, should be easily discovered.

bitshares is strong and healthy even with less than 17 witnesses.

Offline asimov

• View Profile
17 does not seem like a robust network, does it?
Will this stay like that?
I am sure a few people on the waiting list have dedicated servers running Bitshares as a witness and still waiting while dedicating resources and time to it.
There are not many candidates, 42 does not seem like a lot,  and so limiting it even further does not seem like the right strategy for a strong and healthy network.
Comments or thoughts welcome.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!

bytemaster recommended 17 witnesses in total by the way.

edit: also, coordination is key and gets very hard the more witnesses run
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 11:34:18 am by fav »

Offline asimov

• View Profile
There are currently 27 witnesses (as reported by http://cryptofresh.com/witnesses ) and only 42 candidates wishing to be a witness.
Why not approve them all to strengthen the network and let people wishing to collaborate do so?
42 witnesses does not seem like a lot, does it? A larger number will actually be desirable for a healthy network.