Author Topic: PSA: Be weary of investing in decentralized exchange UIAs  (Read 5027 times)

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

I have to give OpenLedger credit.  Ronny is a publicity machine. 

Meanwhile, where else in Cryptodom can you find as many freaking new potential revenue producing FBA assets to trade?

Now you don't have to launch a whole DAC, just roll your own FBAs one at a time.  Priceless.

BM is now extra inspired to start cranking them out (in his spare time). 
I wonder when @toast, @Rune, @BunkerChain Labs , @bitsapphire and a host of others will get in the act?

I think whats missing in BTS land is docs on how to go about this.  How does one create a fee based business on BTS?  What types of business could be created?  How does one do this and remain regulatory compliant in the USA?

Another example is prediction markets.  We are told they are possible but nobody has any idea how to create one.

Another example is custom operations were mentioned in a mumble weeks ago but that was all anyone has heard of them since.  What can one build with custom operations?  Give examples etc.

A reasonable question.

This is being invented on the fly.  OnceUp has really started something.

The simple answer is, "any transaction that people are willing to pay for".  Secure messaging?  Smart contracts?  Provably fair games?  Any feature that we've previously described in the roadmap that hasn't been funded yet?

I predict you'll see proposals for most of the things you mention above.  We are only limited by how many entrepreneurs get involved and how fast they can put together quality proposals.

Nothing says that a group of people who want to invest in a revenue stream can't meet up over an eBeer at Fuzzy's ePub and form a jointly funded business partnership on the back of a napkin.    You don't have to wait for one of The Usual Suspects to propose something.  Carpe Diem like Onceuponatime just did.

You don't need to know how to do everything yourself.  Start the process with a discussion thread and see what like-minded partners you can attract.

Indeed  +5% to jaran for noticing this. It's been brought up before, more than a few times. WE NEED SOLID DOCUMENTATION if ideas like this are gonna ever take off. I like what bytemaster said in last weeks mumble about becoming more "developer focused", and that takes tutorials, examples, docs etc. Not every programmer has the chops to read someone else's complex code and understand it well enough to jump in and start using it without some guidance, and that typically comes from good docs. Doxygen is great to provide the raw API facts but that just describes the puzzle pieces NOT WHY they exist and HOW they can be fitted to form a picture.

Having been a programmer for decades I can tell you most that are really good at it prefer to create through coding rather than describe their creations through the lengthy and often arduous process of documentation and teaching others. There are exceptions of course.

Whenever I was exposed to a new API for a particular domain I had an interest in (like finance / crypto, machine control, communications...), I didn't get excited about it until I could see HOW that API could be used to get things done and serve as a catalyst for my creativity. I recall way way back in my early career how just looking at the instruction set of a new microprocessor could provide a better way to get things done than ever before. Or how the operating system calls available in a real-time multitasking OS would enable me to easily create state machines to control complex mechanisms.

Providing the insight about the API and code modularity is important. Describe the platform API and provide clear examples of how to use it to get things done. Add financial incentives to that and you're on your way to viral adoption by programmers.

The same concept applies to the UI. I've seen so many apps / domains that provide a plugin architecture to shape a UI / UX. If that were implemented in the web wallet and well documented you would see an explosion of different flavors of color schemes, layouts and customizations. Provide a rich and well structured API for the backend and step back and watch what others can do by combining them to realize the vision of a new app of feature.

The dev team has their hands full coding functionality. I wished I would see more signs of better team management like Bill Butler and jakub have brought to the table. I wish BM managed the project with more attention to API consistency, standardization and ease of use. I wish BM would guide efforts to completion before shifting his focus elsewhere, without first insuring a replacement could finish the job. I wish we could clone xeroc or find others with the respect of the dev team to dig out the details in the code and write up quality documentation to facilitate programmer understanding and adoption.

I see  S O  much potential here, I just wish all these things could be brought together faster to enable the creativity of the people in this community to do the great things I know they're capable of.

I see an easy solution to this-

-Thom's been a coder for decades
-Thom knows what well documented API's look like
-Thom likes/invests in bitshares
-Thom should create a worker proposal to learn and document the API's
-Thom would thenhave exactly what he has been asking for and would get paid for it

Offline phillyguy

You guys have no idea about the hyper-dimensional optimization problem we are always juggling.

Don't you think we know when the limits of time and space prevent us from maximizing our performance along every axis?
Don't you think we hate having to make compromises along one axis to achieve a merely tolerable result along another?

Well those drifters days are past me now
I've got so much more to think about
Deadlines and commitments
What to leave in, what to leave out
Against the wind
I'm still runnin' against the wind
I'm older now but still running
Against the wind

Perfect execution means limiting the size of the problem you attack to the point where you can overwhelm it with available resources.  We believe that "a man's reach should exceed his grasp" and we will always byte off more than we can chew.  It's what we do.

So we will always be running against the wind.

:)

We have an idea. It comes from experience in high tech startups and from watching others figure out how to manage their crypto projects. Everybody is trying to figure it out, some seem to have a better handle on it than others.

Mostly what I hear from you Stan is defensiveness, not openminedness or explanations for why suggestions can't or won't be considered or put into practice. Perhaps I'd have more sympathy for your plight if you provided a glimpse of the pros and cons you seem to be trapped by. Then perhaps a path out if the hyper-dimentional cognitive dissonance could be explored and plotted.

Since when has Stan ever answered questions? he's the noise guy. Lots of empty noise, obscure references to things to come, "just trust us" or "do it yourself", blah blah blah.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
You guys have no idea about the hyper-dimensional optimization problem we are always juggling.

Don't you think we know when the limits of time and space prevent us from maximizing our performance along every axis?
Don't you think we hate having to make compromises along one axis to achieve a merely tolerable result along another?

Against the wind
Against the wind

Perfect execution means limiting the size of the problem you attack to the point where you can overwhelm it with available resources.  We believe that "a man's reach should exceed his grasp" and we will always byte off more than we can chew.  It's what we do.

We have an idea. It comes from experience in high tech startups and from watching others figure out how to manage their crypto projects. Everybody is trying to figure it out, some seem to have a better handle on it than others.

Mostly what I hear from you Stan is defensiveness, not openminedness or explanations for why suggestions can't or won't be considered or put into practice. Perhaps I'd have more sympathy for your plight if you provided a glimpse of the pros and cons you seem to be trapped by. Then perhaps a path out if the hyper-dimentional cognitive dissonance could be explored and plotted.

BM goes out of his way every week to provide a glimpse of the pros and cons in mumbles and postings.
More than any company leader I can think of.
But what you see is the tip of our corporate iceberg.
And no, we are not obliged to make every axis of our optimization problem public.

We appreciate all inputs.
But the decisions we make will only make sense to those with the complete picture.
And to tell you that complete picture is to give our competitors the same information.

Please explain how complaining about past decisions we make in an optimization space you are not equipped to evaluate is helpful to the community.   

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Tuck Fheman

:P

Offline Thom

Against the wind
Against the wind

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Tuck Fheman

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

Against the wind
Against the wind

« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 12:55:04 am by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I'm just frustrated by the lack of progress on so many fronts for so long. The vision is good but the execution is a very mixed bag.

I always love Stan's wit, but Thom's words are 100% correct. We don't need the next experimental idea. We need execution.

Offline Thom

As usual Stan, a very general answer to the issues raised that leave me quite unsatisfied. It feels like you just don't hear this type of feedback, you just keep doing what you've always done.

Yeah, I know it sounds negative. Sorry about that. I'm just frustrated by the lack of progress on so many fronts for so long. The vision is good but the execution is a very mixed bag.

The only thing I feel good about lately for BitShares is discovering the Daily Decrypt and the reporting of BitShares activities she reports. Plus she is so perky / quiky and entertaining, how could I not smile while watching?
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

Meanwhile, where else in Cryptodom can you find as many freaking new potential revenue producing FBA assets to trade?

Now you don't have to launch a whole DAC, just roll your own FBAs one at a time.  Priceless.

I wonder when @toast, @Rune, @BunkerChain Labs , @bitsapphire and a host of others will get in the act?

I think whats missing in BTS land is docs on how to go about this.  How does one create a fee based business on BTS?  What types of business could be created?  How does one do this and remain regulatory compliant in the USA?

Another example is prediction markets.  We are told they are possible but nobody has any idea how to create one.

Another example is custom operations were mentioned in a mumble weeks ago but that was all anyone has heard of them since.  What can one build with custom operations?  Give examples etc.

A reasonable question.

The simple answer is, "any transaction that people are willing to pay for".  Secure messaging?  Smart contracts?  Provably fair games?  Any feature that we've previously described in the roadmap that hasn't been funded yet?

I predict you'll see proposals for most of the things you mention above.  We are only limited by how many entrepreneurs get involved and how fast they can put together quality proposals.

Nothing says that a group of people who want to invest in a revenue stream can't meet up over an eBeer at Fuzzy's ePub and form a jointly funded business partnership on the back of a napkin.    You don't have to wait for one of The Usual Suspects to propose something.  Carpe Diem like Onceuponatime just did.

You don't need to know how to do everything yourself.  Start the process with a discussion thread and see what like-minded partners you can attract.

Indeed  +5% to jaran for noticing this. It's been brought up before, more than a few times. WE NEED SOLID DOCUMENTATION if ideas like this are gonna ever take off. I like what bytemaster said in last weeks mumble about becoming more "developer focused", and that takes tutorials, examples, docs etc. Not every programmer has the chops to read someone else's complex code and understand it well enough to jump in and start using it without some guidance, and that typically comes from good docs. Doxygen is great to provide the raw API facts but that just describes the puzzle pieces NOT WHY they exist and HOW they can be fitted to form a picture.

Having been a programmer for decades I can tell you most that are really good at it prefer to create through coding rather than describe their creations through the lengthy and often arduous process of documentation and teaching others. There are exceptions of course.

Whenever I was exposed to a new API for a particular domain I had an interest in (like finance / crypto, machine control, communications...), I didn't get excited about it until I could see HOW that API could be used to get things done and serve as a catalyst for my creativity. I recall way way back in my early career how just looking at the instruction set of a new microprocessor could provide a better way to get things done than ever before. Or how the operating system calls available in a real-time multitasking OS would enable me to easily create state machines to control complex mechanisms.

Providing the insight about the API and code modularity is important. Describe the platform API and provide clear examples of how to use it to get things done. Add financial incentives to that and you're on your way to viral adoption by programmers.

The same concept applies to the UI. I've seen so many apps / domains that provide a plugin architecture to shape a UI / UX. If that were implemented in the web wallet and well documented you would see an explosion of different flavors of color schemes, layouts and customizations. Provide a rich and well structured API for the backend and step back and watch what others can do by combining them to realize the vision of a new app of feature.

The dev team has their hands full coding functionality. I wished I would see more signs of better team management like Bill Butler and jakub have brought to the table. I wish BM managed the project with more attention to API consistency, standardization and ease of use. I wish BM would guide efforts to completion before shifting his focus elsewhere, without first insuring a replacement could finish the job. I wish we could clone xeroc or find others with the respect of the dev team to dig out the details in the code and write up quality documentation to facilitate programmer understanding and adoption.

I see  S O  much potential here, I just wish all these things could be brought together faster to enable the creativity of the people in this community to do the great things I know they're capable of.

I wish we had a few more BMs and Xerocs, et. al.  But I assure you the the ones we've got are fully utilized doing what they consider to be the best use of their time. 

Anything undone is undone because something else got done.

Undone stuff is thus left as opportunities for others to step up.  It's a zero sum game.

The only way we get more wishes granted is to encourage more "wish granters" to start granting wishes.

And that usually means tolerating entrepreneurs making a lucrative profit if they succeed.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 08:46:37 pm by Stan »

Offline Thom

A reasonable question.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

A reasonable question.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

Actually .. myself, @svk, and @cass are going to "get in" the act with something very in need rather soonish :)

Golden Goodie Blast from the Past Department

It's been a long time coming
Gonna be a long time gone...
   Crosby, Stills and Nash

BitShares will become a platform for all kinds of outside-the-box businesses - not just variations on exchange services.
Fee Backed Assets (FBA) are a key missing ingredient in this long anticipated Vision:

The Origin of BitShares
Part 9
What is a SuperDAC?

SuperDAC - noun - soup-er-dak
A Decentralized Autonomous Company (DAC) providing common services that support layering of other DAC business models onto a common public ledger for the sake of shared network effect.
The need to merge our various DACs into a single "SuperDAC" was based on the realization that they all needed a whole bunch of common services that are much less effective if they aren't common services:
  • A unified basket of stable, robust global currencies (bitAssets)
  • A unified set of well compensated, best-of-breed delegates.
  • A unified name system.
  • A unified secure messaging system.
  • A unified set of on and off ramps - portals to the fiat world.
  • A unified marketing message.
  • A unified consensus-based governing system.
  • A unified family of tools and wallets.
  • A unified way for newcomers to make instant friends with everyone already there.
  • A built-in venture capital system where you can compete for start-up funds - democratically.

New business developers (DAC engineers) shouldn't want to reinvent these things any more than I would want to reinvent my computer's device drivers and operating system.  And what sense would it make to have different competing operating systems, each with a subset of drivers and services?

Gee, I sure wish I could go back in time and invest in MS-DOS. 
Rats. 
An opportunity like that will never come around again.

BitShares took the whole ecosystem into one DAC friendly free-trade zone with all the services that benefit from network effect already in place.

Any developer who wants to build a business would be crazy to stay on the outside and try to replicate that.  Even if they can pick up the toolkit and get all the functions - the network effect doesn't come with the toolkit!  You get that by joining the club.  You still run your own business with its own custom storefront and Internet presence.  You just skipped a year or two of trying to get traffic to stop by!

We offer instant network effect.  Built in.

If I were going to summarize the opportunity for other developers, I might put it this way:

Come build you business in our free trade zone mall.  Join us in free space.  We are the mall developers.  You can be a mall tenant.   We've got lots of real estate for you - all wired up with power, plumbing, internet and customers browsing the halls.  Add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own and get issued shares to match the value you have added to our free trade ecosystem.  And its growing network effect.

You'd be crazy to locate your business outside the mall.  Why start over?

When new entrepreneurs contact us about how to leverage the BitShares Toolkit,
these are some of the considerations we often discuss.

(To be continued...)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains

Actually .. myself, @svk, and @cass are going to "get in" the act with something very in need rather soonish :)

Looking forward to it  :)

Dat trifecta. Work-Power of 10 strong! :D

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile

Looking forward to it  :)

This will likely be an unpopular opinion, but I feel I must speak up. The way I see it, the operators are trying to cash in immediately and shift most of the risks of their businesses to those who buy their UIA. If they think their businesses will be wildly successful, then it makes little sense to me as to why they would try to sell so much equity this early in the game. Take a look at the list of cryptocurrency exchanges and notice how many of them have little to no volume. I gave the same warning to the Nxt community when they were largely investing in many UIAs immediately following the creation of their UIA exchange. I think a majority of them wish they would of taken my advice. You have been warned. I don't mean to ruffle any feathers and mean no offence to those who are selling these assets, as you guys likely do not have any bad intentions in offering these sales.

*promptly looks for an underground bunker to hide in for eternity*

Since you are mentioning NXT, when I was following quite some time ago, I have noticed exactly the opposite..Those who kept their NXTs lost a lot in their value from $80 mil market cap to $6 mil today and those who invested in other UIA in the exchange performed quite well i.e. shortNXT where there was a guy that created an index that tracked NXT price and people could pofit from falling NXT price ( disclaimer: I don't know what is happening now, if this still exists or if it was a scam but at that time it was really helpful and profitable..)