Author Topic: What if bytemaster's right ...  (Read 10185 times)

Offline bytemaster

I think it is very easy to present straw-man arguments of my stance that make it sound ridiculous. 

I believe that when it comes to unprovable concepts it makes sense to choose to believe whatever makes the biggest positive impact in your life, whether it is true or not.   At the end of the day, beliefs have power even if they are false.  They lead people to war, to die for others, to give, to steal, to love, and to hate.   If you believe someone is out to get you, then it will have an impact on your life whether or not there is actually anyone out to get you.

So given the choice between believing the following unprovable assertions I choose what makes the most powerful difference in my life.

1. There is no god, no higher power, and everything is made of "matter", consciousness is the result of electro-chemical processes in the brain and we ultimately return to dust.
2. There is a God and he is separate from us, judges us, and tells us how we should behave and punishes us if we disobey. 
3. Life is a dream, I am just a first person avatar, all of life and everything I perceive is part of one consciousness which is beyond my ego and which many would attribute the qualities of God. 

Of the 3 choices of unprovable beliefs, only one has given me positive results in my life by adopting it.  That doesn't make it right or wrong, it just means that it impacts how my brain interprets reality in such a way that I am more likely to be positive, full of love, and not afraid.  This in turn generates measurable benefits in my life.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline sittingduck

• View Profile
Then you don't understand his position.  He thinks he is just a reflection of you.  A sockpupet in your universe. 

Tuck Fheman

that there's no one outside of himself ... and we're all just his sock puppets?