Author Topic: [POLL] Tipbot Yes/No  (Read 35010 times)

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
At first I tried to be neutral on this, but now that I see you are ignoring opposite opinions, I have to say no. The bot is annoying and creates distraction on the forum.

I don't mind having the bot here, but you have to design it so that is not spamming all the time.

If users find the bot annoying, that's a fact you just have to accept. You can't change these kind of feelings by arguing against them. It's a design problem, not lack of understanding.

Offline fuzzy

@Freebieservers thanks for the candid input.  However i (somewhat) disagree with the analogy of facebook on this one.  Faction tokens or other tokens that show someone was at a certai ace at a certain time, or worked on a specific project can carry value simply by marking people of value for specific reasons that may become valuable to others in the future. 

we are working in an area where there are MANY use cases that have yet to be uncovered and ig oring those usecases is ignoring the possibility that something little will become big. 

Id bet if michael jordan created a token (or basketball card) in his early days of basketball most people who knew his early coach woukd have said "this token has no value!"  well they would have tirned out to be idiots.  And it only takes one michael jordan (underdog) to change everything...

cutting our most innovative and creative community members' heads off before they even get a chance to TRY to build value--simy because others say its not valuable is  is a move not to take lightly...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:30:42 am by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Xypher

• View Profile
Disclaimer : The following is my (personal ) thought on the bot, and am not speaking as a representative of Freebieservers in this post. My stances could/would change, depending on the varying perspectives and insights I attain.

I'd first envisioned the bot to be a system of transfer of value. A means for individuals or companies to disperse tokens of value to the masses in an easy and intuitive fashion. In case you compare the bot with other systems the team ensured the redemption and delivery process was cut to the bare basics with no unwanted additions around it. Even when building the bot, kuro, hybridd and fuzzy did an incredibly amazing job of ensuring the community was heavily involved in testing and shipping the first iteration of the product. What am trying to state is, the system was built, for the people, by the people and intended to be a system of transfer of value from day 1.

However, where communities are involved, unintended consequences often emerge. The user cases for the bot in this forum is hilarious and sad at the same time. It is "fun" to see people tip +5% but am yet to see the economic implications of the same. Imagine, facebook had posts everywhere saying "You have been tipped 1 Like, go here to redeem it" , "You have been tipped  3 shares, go here to access it". It would look ugly. The system allows individuals to do certain things, but I believe the system was built to be a system of value transfer and not of tokens with no value inbuilt. That said, any token can be of value if individuals are purchasing / trading them. Due to the same, it is imminent that these tokens being made have substance beneath them - and individuals put in effort to show people why the tokens are of value. If all you want to say is "LOL" - then hey, why not have a better forum that allows you to express it without having to depend on a system of value transfer ?

Personally, I see the bot as an incredibly amazing system of value transfer. Just today I was hiring from a forum of gamers for a project and we had 25 applicants come in, and I sent out some bts as a form of  appreciating their interest. The bot permits me to create n number of links and send it. Imagine how amazing this will be for e-mail campaigns where we could integrate the links into the e-mails and "potential" customers could just click on the link and redeem access tokens to a newly released service ? How about dropping in the share url to a message you send to a vc ?  As a matter of fact, once the overhaul of electrons.io is out, I'll probably be demoing the simplicity of the system. Users will be able to
>Redeem bts with the click of a link
>Exchange bts to btc with a single transfer
These are functions that are as normal as breathing. Product design and user experiences have broken down to the bare minimum to make sense to the average joe on the internet.

I believe, the bot should stay on the forum, but I also see that it is emerging to be a form of spam. Increasingly, trolls have used it to make their point.
Power is a crazy thing to give to everyone, and yet it is what makes communities like these what it is. Its what adds essence to democracy.  It would be good to see a decrease in the misuse of the bot. However, I would like to emphasise on the fact that the bot is an incredible tool when it comes to empowering individuals to share their tokens of value within the community. Due to the same, this discussion shouldn't end with "yes, bot good" , "no, bot bad". Its got to evolve into "Yes, bot is good, but how do we ensure its used for good" . That would probably evolve this discussion into something along the lines of gun control, but if you truly want to see change, we'll need to tackle the tough questions.

I believe, great products cannot be run on the lines of democracy. Every ass in the world has an opinion and it is not possible to value all of them. However, great products also run upon the opinions and inputs of users. Therefore, I request each one of you to suggest changes we can make and we can work in a constructive fashion towards improving what we have here.

Offline fuzzy

interesting, btw, that this poll went from a lopsided no to a neck to neck run once we actually started talking about the MERITS of the sharebot (as opposed to skewing poll results by biasing the poll with early comments that ONLY talked about the negatives...

interesting to anyone else?

Offline fuzzy

98% of the UIAs are crap. I think we need to recognize that, recognize that it takes more than a few friends to develop your UIA's economy of scale, and focus instead on the few currencies/assets that we want to build up and market. Dividing our efforts into all these different useless UIAs is not going to make the system stronger. If we want to grow, let's identify our strongest suits and push those hard.

so take away options...and dont give people a sandbox where they can test and create value themselves?  that is the opposite of ethereum...

I understand the idea of backing common efforts, but it is our island mentality that keeps us from getting to become a truly decentralized exchange (see seraphs proposal that seemingly failed) and keeps us with illiquid markets. 

It is interesting that people do not realize that this stuff is not going to be perfect out of the box and that we need to test and PLAY in order to find what works.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 05:31:17 am by fuzzy »

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
98% of the UIAs are crap. I think we need to recognize that, recognize that it takes more than a few friends to develop your UIA's economy of scale, and focus instead on the few currencies/assets that we want to build up and market. Dividing our efforts into all these different useless UIAs is not going to make the system stronger. If we want to grow, let's identify our strongest suits and push those hard.

Offline ebit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: ebit
I like tip bot,it is funy.
telegram:ebit521
https://weibo.com/ebiter

Offline gamey

• View Profile

The problem is that it is likely a minority that feels these UIAs will grow in value. If you do not believe that, you will likely find the posts more distracting than anything.

It costs the person giving the assets nothing once they set it up... but it spams everyone's use of the forum. When I heard 'tipbot' I at least thought it would be things of definite value. Tipping something that is worth $0.00 is not really tipping .. or $0.01.  I like the tipbot, but make tips be a dollar minimum or something.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline fuzzy

well, as I stated before, my biggest problem with a enforcing PM-only is that the service doesn't self-spread. Anyone who doesn't use the bot has no way of (easily) learning about it without going out and searching the forums to try to find what its all about. As mentioned before, I think there are some ways to reduce the amount of posts the bot makes, and spoiler-tags reduces the visual-content/scrolling.

personally, I think we need smarter forums all together but... that's a whole other beast to tackle.

well dont expect expect that to happen. yeh we have a revolutionary technology but apparently dont want to build anything that compliments it and enables us to use it to the best of all our abilities..

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
ok yea this could work as well .. just want to let you how it feels from (my) user perspective :D
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline hybridd

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hybr1d
well, as I stated before, my biggest problem with a enforcing PM-only is that the service doesn't self-spread. Anyone who doesn't use the bot has no way of (easily) learning about it without going out and searching the forums to try to find what its all about. As mentioned before, I think there are some ways to reduce the amount of posts the bot makes, and spoiler-tags reduces the visual-content/scrolling.

personally, I think we need smarter forums all together but... that's a whole other beast to tackle.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:34:06 am by hybridd »
http://sharebits.io - #sharebits "person" amount asset - Start tipping on bitsharestalk today!
Developer @ Freebie

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
so .. i love the sharebits project :) i tried to put my love into the logo ..
but tbh here in forum i've ignored the account yesterday... i'm getting the feel sometimes of have to search
important posts in between .. ( a bit fussy i know :D)

No seriously, here with SMF search in general is a mess .. so just imagine the dozens of mostly
*no content value* adding sharebits donation posts ..

IMO sharebits is great tool for grabbing outer crypto attention on classical social media spots like fb etc ..
But here in forum i would find it nice if we could reduce this donation posts .. maybe user could get a mail hint but not to post in OP then diretly ? idk if this could work as well ..

so YES to sharebit bot but in more subtle way .. that would be awesome !!!
So continue to kick asses :* @fuzzy
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline fuzzy

Welcome to the BitShares Forum - a place for could be, would be and should be, plus a heavy dose of Fuzzy's undeserved ego. Fuzz - rub something in my face when you contribute something that actually gains some network effect. This forum is dying a slow death.

If Tonyk had any more Greenies to tip with, I'll bet you just earned one.  ;)

Personally, I don't think all that fuzzy does is useful, but some of his work certainly is. One thing I've never picked up from listening to his shows or reading his posts is ego. Seems like a mostly humble guy.

thanks donkey.  one thing i can say about you is that while everyone else likes to attack without giving constructive criticism, you tend to rarely do that. even if you and i disagree sometimes, i can truly respect that.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Welcome to the BitShares Forum - a place for could be, would be and should be, plus a heavy dose of Fuzzy's undeserved ego. Fuzz - rub something in my face when you contribute something that actually gains some network effect. This forum is dying a slow death.

If Tonyk had any more Greenies to tip with, I'll bet you just earned one.  ;)

Personally, I don't think all that fuzzy does is useful, but some of his work certainly is. One thing I've never picked up from listening to his shows or reading his posts is ego. Seems like a mostly humble guy.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:02:32 am by donkeypong »

Offline phillyguy

The sharebot project is stupid.

"Roads are stupid"  he says :D

"Passing tokens outside our ecosystem in a way that could become viral is stupid" he says :)

I guess you could look at Changetip's success as an indicator of how successful it could be...then add to that it is the fastest bot in the world because of bitshares.  I guess all that is "stupid" though eh phillyguy?

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads