Author Topic: [POLL] Tipbot Yes/No  (Read 34813 times)

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
Dogecoin is a great example

I agree.

It would have been worthwhile had you left in the part of what I said that made your next point moot. But alas, it was selectively removed.  :-\

The fact that you received a gift from someone that cared about what you did is the value!

If Dogecoin had no monetary value it would be fairly pointless tipping them.

In terms of your 'it's the thought that counts'

I would say a thoughtful compliment &  +5% is a much greater forum gift then being given multiple worthless tokens by creators who think spamming them in this manner will help bootstrap them.

I think the tipbot can add value when it is tipping actual currency, like BTS, bitUSD etc - things which have value, no these worthless tokens, no offence intended to their creators :)

+5%  Tipping with BitUSD will be huge in terms of the network effect it could help generate. (If TX fee to claim was lower)
I think some tokens could gain traction but I'm in favour of them having a minimum tipping/token value & perhaps Sharebits/tipbot should charge a registration fee too (if they don't already) as a way to generate income and to avoid being used for spamming.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:27:50 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Tuck Fheman

I agree.

It would have been worthwhile had you left in the part of what I said that made your next point moot. But alas, it was selectively removed.  :-\

The fact that you received a gift from someone that cared about what you did is the value!

Offline monsterer

I think the tipbot can add value when it is tipping actual currency, like BTS, bitUSD etc - things which have value, no these worthless tokens, no offence intended to their creators :)
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
I'm a fan of the tipbot/sharebits and believe it has a bright future, if it gains a bit of traction, it's will also probably provide one of the best arguments for having lower TX fees, which I think Fav is against, so I hope the issues can be resolved.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
2. You tip someone and it is does have value but not enough to cover the transaction fee to convert it. 

As I informed Amanda @ The Daily Decrypt, HODL!

Accumulate more tips until it's worthwhile to cashout or just pass them around if you like.

Have any of you ever used Dogecoin?

It's as if this entire tipping culture is foreign to most of the people here.

Tips are a Community builder. The token doesn't need to have any value whatsoever.

http://www.coindesk.com/dogetipbot-turned-spoof-altcoin-tipping-phenomenon/
http://www.coindesk.com/social-tipping-tool-meme-dogecoin-445k/

- The median tip size is $0.03 with the average in the Reddit sample being $0.2
- All tips are in 'Dogecoin' so it builds the brand & as all tips are in the same denomination you can accumulate smaller tips over time.

Spamming multiple valueless tokens is not as community or brand building imo. In fact it harms the brand because people associate BitShares or the tipbot with tokens that have no value and as a result you don't convert customers even if you tip them with one that does because they won't take the time to investigate.

Having an enforced/guideline minimum value per token or tip, somewhere close to the Dogecoin median or at least above $0.02 would help solve the problem imo.

But failed as a product. Dev stopped working on it and open sourced the bit

Offline Xypher

• View Profile
Yea so?
Just because there's a poll doesn't mean it has to happen.

At least one is not over-dramatising. Consider this as an indicator to change the design.

Yes.
Having that said, I believe the matter could be presented in a  better fashion.
Reaching out to the team and discussing a way to settle this would have been a lot more smarter in my opinion.
We had always maintained that the posts by the bot will be removed as the project grows and spam has been in our view since early on.
When people work 24/7 in building communities they tend to take things very personally.
People say "Sorry, nothing personal, its just business", but some of the members I know here are so engrossed in business, sometimes, anything against one's business, becomes absolutely personal. I experienced this in the past so I know what it feels like.

If all of us just got on counterstrike servers and decided to kill each other every time we got stressed, I think decision making would have been a lot more easier and fun. Recommended Fuzzy too - to go play some CS for a bit.  Maybe we could do a CS session instead of the mumble session some day.

I see some good inputs from the members here and am glad to see that the thread has gone from an all out offensive to a collaborative effort to fix things.

Sometimes, being in biz dev in crypto..feels a lot like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-hUV9yhqgY

... but it does come up with some ingenious solutions.

Heh, I'd be up for some cs.

I'm doing as I see fit for the forum. If there has to be a controversial topic to make a dialogue happen, so be it. It's better to get this done now before people start to leave.

Fav, I don't see how a completed product, doing exactly what it was designed to do will hinder people more in comparison with the countless delays in the product's that haven't been delivered / been delayed / haven't had updates. That said, I wouldn't want something I / fuzzy was involved with hindering growth and due to the same its good that we are having an open discussion on things.

Yes, CS match, tomorrow noon ?
@kuro112  would (probably) be able to join.
We could take bets on the matches too..soon.
(hint : imminent product release pointer)

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
2. You tip someone and it is does have value but not enough to cover the transaction fee to convert it. 

As I informed Amanda @ The Daily Decrypt, HODL!

Accumulate more tips until it's worthwhile to cashout or just pass them around if you like.

Have any of you ever used Dogecoin?

It's as if this entire tipping culture is foreign to most of the people here.

Tips are a Community builder. The token doesn't need to have any value whatsoever.

http://www.coindesk.com/dogetipbot-turned-spoof-altcoin-tipping-phenomenon/
http://www.coindesk.com/social-tipping-tool-meme-dogecoin-445k/

- The median tip size is $0.03 with the average in the Reddit sample being $0.2
- All tips are in 'Dogecoin' so it builds the brand & as all tips are in the same denomination you can accumulate smaller tips over time.

Spamming multiple valueless tokens is not as community or brand building imo. In fact it harms the brand because people associate BitShares or the tipbot with tokens that have no value and as a result you don't convert customers even if you tip them with one that does because they won't take the time to investigate.

Having an enforced/guideline minimum value per token or tip, somewhere close to the Dogecoin median or at least above $0.02 would help solve the problem imo.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
Yea so?

At least one is not over-dramatising. Consider this as an indicator to change the design.

Yes.
Reaching out to the team and discussing a way to settle this would have been a lot more smarter in my opinion.
We had always maintained that the posts by the bot will be removed as the project grows and spam has been in our view since early on.
When people work 24/7 in building communities they tend to take things very personally.
People say "Sorry, nothing personal, its just business", but some of the members I know here are so engrossed in business, sometimes, anything against one's business, becomes absolutely personal. I experienced this in the past so I know what it feels like.

If all of us just got on counterstrike servers and decided to kill each other every time we got stressed, I think decision making would have been a lot more easier and fun. Recommended Fuzzy too - to go play some CS for a bit.  Maybe we could do a CS session instead of the mumble session some day.

I see some good inputs from the members here and am glad to see that the thread has gone from an all out offensive to a collaborative effort to fix things.

Heh, I'd be up for some cs.

I'm doing as I see fit for the forum. If there has to be a controversial topic to make a dialogue happen, so be it. It's better to get this done now before people start to leave.

Offline Xypher

• View Profile
Yea so?

Yes.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
Just an idea I had for some middle ground, it might be better if tipping was confined to a single thread. Tips and confirmations all in one spot,  and only forum tips generated in that thread would actually work. Those who want to tip because someone said something significant, can quote or post a link to the comment next to the tip code in the tipping thread. This would be good for a few reasons, but in the very least, when I click 'Show unread posts since last visit', I wouldn't be alerted to a tip confirmation post.

You could use the @mention function to let them know they received a tip in the tipping thread.

Good idea  +5%

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
Yea so?

Tuck Fheman

I like the tipbot, but make tips be a dollar minimum or something.

How?

Tuck Fheman

Just an idea I had for some middle ground, it might be better if tipping was confined to a single thread. Tips and confirmations all in one spot,  and only forum tips generated in that thread would actually work. Those who want to tip because someone said something significant, can quote or post a link to the comment next to the tip code in the tipping thread.

I have no issues with that, although it is inconvenient.  :-\

I like the emoji idea better though.

Keep the suggestions coming until we have the brilliant solution everyone loves!

Offline btstip

• View Profile
  • BitShares: btstip-io
Hey Tuck Fheman, here are the results of your tips...
Curious about ShareBits? Visit us at http://sharebits.io and start tipping BTS on https://bitsharestalk.org/ today!
Created by hybridd