Author Topic: Code Group Progress: CLI  (Read 2354 times)

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
yea .. but it's good sometimes to get an overview -- but yea .. best is to start .. just learn some bascis and search for a small project to start learning on an concrete example -- without copy paste function ..not try to memorize, instead try to understand .. and for this you should choose a project u can feed with your passion .. (better to say .. at least this workey for me in past and also today when learning no stuff .. )

I agree.  I'm by no means a good programmer, but what python skills I have I gained by working on projects I found interesting.  I made a roulette bot on 1.0, and a couple of witness watching switching bots.  I would have lost interest if I was working on things I didn't care about.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
yea .. but it's good sometimes to get an overview -- but yea .. best is to start .. just learn some bascis and search for a small project to start learning on an concrete example -- without copy paste function ..not try to memorize, instead try to understand .. and for this you should choose a project u can feed with your passion .. (better to say .. at least this workey for me in past and also today when learning no stuff .. )
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline hybridd

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hybr1d
Just talked to a bar tender at chili's.  He's going to some express for profit college for coding.  He said that they made him do all the coding courses from code academy before even starting.

Basically he shit on code academy... said it's a waste of time and is basically a copy paste hold your hand course.

Either he's full of shit, or we have to do a lot more  to be productive in the bitshares ecosystem.

As far as I can tell most uni/college cs programs are a waste of time too. The amount of people w/ CS degrees who dont actually know anything is amazing.
http://sharebits.io - #sharebits "person" amount asset - Start tipping on bitsharestalk today!
Developer @ Freebie

Offline fuzzy

Just talked to a bar tender at chili's.  He's going to some express for profit college for coding.  He said that they made him do all the coding courses from code academy before even starting.

Basically he shit on code academy... said it's a waste of time and is basically a copy paste hold your hand course.

Either he's full of shit, or we have to do a lot more  to be productive in the bitshares ecosystem.

nothing is ever perfect but getting started and working on improving is the only way to get better.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

unreadPostsSinceLastVisit

he was right and wrong. codecademy is AWESOME. it's just limited. I think the most python they had available I covered the equivalent amount of info in Java over a months worth of classes when I attempted college a long ass time ago.

That's why I immediately dived into a book afterwards. Started to get interesting, ended.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

Offline fuzzy

Updating here:

I am currently making a token that will be used in these coding groups.  Today and tomorrow I will likely be doing this instead of learning the CLI.  However, I will continue my progress as soon as this is completed. 

Offline fuzzy

Notes:
The mv command seems to be short for "move".
mv can be used for the following things:
moving a file to a different folder...for instance mv spiderman.txt superhero/
moving multiple files to a different folder...for instance mv wonderwoman.txt batman.txt superhero/
changing the name of a file...for instance mv batman.txt spiderman.txt

Will resume tomorrow at approx 1pm EST.  If you feel this will be useful for someone please send them the link to this post.  If you find this valuable please consider sharing one of your own tokens to me.  I prefer your own personal UIA because if you are here to learn your token will only get more valuable in time :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:58:36 pm by fuzzy »

Offline fuzzy

Introduction to "the wildcard".... a.k.a. * :D

Offline fuzzy

Note.  In this section it says it gives a link to a "hint", but I didn't see it.  However, using ".." after typing cd (change directory) is what takes you up one directory.  So for example:  "cd .." would be the same as changing from "cd record/2015/" to "cd record/".  You simply don't have to type the whole thing so it is quicker. 

If you like these please consider sharing some of your own personal UIA with me!

Offline fuzzy

Pt 1

Pt 2 (additional learned command extensions added)

Please consider sharing your own token if you find this valuable!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 06:17:05 pm by fuzzy »

Offline fuzzy

For those following along. 

Please consider sharing your own token if you find this valuable! 

Offline fuzzy

Progress (for those who would like to follow along and check their own work)

Offline fuzzy

Offline fuzzy

If you would like to ShareDrop on me as a pat on the back I'd appreciate it :)
I don't care what token you send...though I do prefer it is one you made! 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 05:51:35 pm by fuzzy »