Author Topic: Why Vision Matters Blog Post  (Read 21956 times)

Offline roadscape

-1- Pointing to exceptional people like xeroc as examples of how "anyone" can just look at the code and understand it are indeed ABSURD. How the fuck can you understand how to get shit done when things change ALL THE TIME? There is NO STABILITY HERE! Efforts aren't finished here! I've seen my share of code in my career and it's very rare that code of any significant complexity can be understood by new devs well enough to implement major functionality without some form of big picture guidance AS WELL AS the nuances of understanding the API at the low level. Look at all the time wasted by various non-core dev teams when the skills and knowledge they learned under BitShares 1 was thrown out the window unilaterally and without ANY warning! Do you think the management genius that let that happen is endearing and appealing to devs, or does it convey just the opposite attitude?

The DEX is "done" except for...

Well then, IT'S NOT DONE, so stop saying it is. If it's "done" why can't devs code liquidity bots? The API is inconsistent, the docs are minimal and you expect devs to "figure it all out" on their own, especially when it's in a constant state of flux? That's delusional. It's simply not practical to expect anyone outside of the core dev team or other highly experienced DPoS coders (and just how many of those are there?) to be able to or want to act as tech writers to bring documentation up to a level that learning the BitShares API is possible quickly for any outside dev proficient in C++.

Enough already. CNX, stop this constant shifting, and stop disrupting focus. I see you going back to your Bytemaster Blog, that's nice, I truly enjoy reading them. Just be sure you are clear about where the CNX team focus is. Put some detailed thought into that and come up with a solid plan worthy of your intellect. Find a way to stick to it, change only when it's necessary after weighing the pros, cons and costs, on community, investor / shareholder morale.

How is it unstable? The BitShares store I built worked just fine through BTS 0.9x, and in fact converting it to 2.0 only took a few hours. API changes are pretty infrequent, and most changes are additions. Are you talking about the the C++ code? ..or the API? Are you building something?

Generally the hard part is building the app itself.. for most apps BitShares will simply be a distributed & crypto-secure database backend. IMO the bottlenecks are time & money, not bitshares itself.

I was under the impression that the market maker devs were missing cancel_order and that's been implemented now. I saw maqifrnswa submitted the pull request well over a month ago and it was available publicly as a patch.
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline Pairmike

Dan and CNX are trying to do their best.  That being said, I have not always agreed with their direction.  However, investors must be responsible for performing their own due diligence.  Investors must re-evaluate often.  Once the project deviates from your investment projections then YOU must decide what to do.  Either cash out and move on or accept the new risks.  But, if you invested more than you were willing to lose, that is your fault and not Dan's or CNX. 

I know it may be a painful lesson for some (I too have lost money).  Risk is something every investor must accept and learn to manage.  It is not specific to Bitshares. 

https://Steemit.com | The Social Media Network that Pays

Offline Thom

What an amazing thread! In my time here I don't think I've seen one quite like this. It seems to me that almost everybody in the community is involved in this discussion, and the issues herein are VERY IMPORTANT!

Why not write a proposal for what you want, offer to manage it, sell it to the community and recruit us or someone else to do the work?
You know quite well that this is absurd.
This documentation has to come from one of the top developers, probably BM himself.
Me (or anybody else) being a middle man in this process is pointless as there is no value added in my attempting to manage BM.

I understand that CNX has much more motivation to pursue a business opportunity like MAS than to create documentation and open up true competition against itself.
However CNX needs to make this altruistic (yet paid) effort or otherwise DPOS is pure fiction.

You got my message so I'll shut up now.

Adding new applications to the BitShares platform does not constitute any kind of a turn.

1)  Stealth
2)  Maker
3)  Lending (Bond) market
4)  Prediction market
5)  MAS

We now have 5 and may well have a dozen such candidate businesses by this time next year.
In the mean time, each candidate needs a champion willing to raise or supply the cash to develop it.

Here is the manipulation, Stan: the above list is purely theoretical at this stage.
You pretend we have a choice but actually we don't.

As long as CNX is the only player capable of implementing changes affecting BitShares protocol - this is a one-man show.
DPOS and shareholders voting on worker proposals is pure fiction at this stage.

We (the shareholders) did not have a choice between Stealth and Maker. We were offered Stealth or nothing. So we chose Stealth.
Now again the same thing is happening: we do not have a choice between DEX and MAS. We are offered MAS or nothing.

So my appeal to CNX is this: be fair and offer us a choice. You are welcome to propose a vision but do not force this vision upon us (the shareholders).
And to have a choice we must wait till there is at least one more development team in the ecosystem capable of offering worker proposals as complex as Prediction Markets or Maker.
Then CNX will have every right to propose MAS as an alternative to DEX and let the shareholders actually choose between MAS and DEX (or choose to finance both).

I don't want to have developers who have a vision.
I want developers who are happy to be paid for implementing the vision of the shareholders.

As we have it now, it got all mixed up: we have developers and vision creators as one entity.
Which leaves us with this "choice": share their vision or sell.

Jakub, you are one of my proxies for good reason, you see things similarly to me in terms of getting things done.

I also see Stan's rhetoric as more hype than real, practical substance much of the time. More marketing than reality.

Here's my perspective:
1) I STRONGLY believe documentation and management are MAJOR reasons we can't attract more devs
2) CNX can't stay focused to complete major features through a complete deployment cycle
3) The DPoS governance model is great in concept, but the rough edges will never be resolved without focus
4) The pattern of management that CNX / Stan / Dan continue is too rich in vision and too lean in carrying it out
5) Leadership is more than a vision; it definitely starts there but practical results and management also matter greatly

I was going to elaborate on each of those points but I am only going to do so for item 1. I have lost the will to continue repeating myself when CNX seems hell bent on moving in their own direction, ignoring the community's input and repeating the same old mistakes AGAIN! I'm tired of this meandering management. Oh wait, it's New Years, Dan is going thru his yearly goals assessment. Watch out BitShares, another pivot may be coming your way!

-1- Pointing to exceptional people like xeroc as examples of how "anyone" can just look at the code and understand it are indeed ABSURD. How the fuck can you understand how to get shit done when things change ALL THE TIME? There is NO STABILITY HERE! Efforts aren't finished here! I've seen my share of code in my career and it's very rare that code of any significant complexity can be understood by new devs well enough to implement major functionality without some form of big picture guidance AS WELL AS the nuances of understanding the API at the low level. Look at all the time wasted by various non-core dev teams when the skills and knowledge they learned under BitShares 1 was thrown out the window unilaterally and without ANY warning! Do you think the management genius that let that happen is endearing and appealing to devs, or does it convey just the opposite attitude?

The DEX is "done" except for...

Well then, IT'S NOT DONE, so stop saying it is. If it's "done" why can't devs code liquidity bots? The API is inconsistent, the docs are minimal and you expect devs to "figure it all out" on their own, especially when it's in a constant state of flux? That's delusional. It's simply not practical to expect anyone outside of the core dev team or other highly experienced DPoS coders (and just how many of those are there?) to be able to or want to act as tech writers to bring documentation up to a level that learning the BitShares API is possible quickly for any outside dev proficient in C++.

Enough already. CNX, stop this constant shifting, and stop disrupting focus. I see you going back to your Bytemaster Blog, that's nice, I truly enjoy reading them. Just be sure you are clear about where the CNX team focus is. Put some detailed thought into that and come up with a solid plan worthy of your intellect. Find a way to stick to it, change only when it's necessary after weighing the pros, cons and costs, on community, investor / shareholder morale.

There are many of us here who are true believers in the original vision of a decentralized monetary system based on DPoS blockchain tech, but it's really tough to keep seeing the same mistakes in and shortcomings in CNX management. You have accomplished a great deal, but it's not enough. When it is, it will be obvious to you and everyone else.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

jakub

I think it needs to be at least 40k-50k BTS per day (USD 4k-5k per month) to attract a good talent.

good lord. I don't.

I can get expert coders out of Latvia for $900 month who will work on average 10-12 hour per day (because they WANT to) and will produce typically DOUBLE what any of my American coders ever could. Also, Russia, Turkey and Ukraine are about the same rates. I still have an expert python/C++ guy in India too but his rate is close to American salaries these days, India just isn't as competitive anymore.

Think outside the borders. You guys want to get out of this mess? Talk to me.

Then what about having a worker proposal for something useful if you can get a team that cheap and competent?

Let's not hijack this topic.
I've created another one here:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,20823.0.html

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
I think it needs to be at least 40k-50k BTS per day (USD 4k-5k per month) to attract a good talent.

good lord. I don't.

I can get expert coders out of Latvia for $900 month who will work on average 10-12 hour per day (because they WANT to) and will produce typically DOUBLE what any of my American coders ever could. Also, Russia, Turkey and Ukraine are about the same rates. I still have an expert python/C++ guy in India too but his rate is close to American salaries these days, India just isn't as competitive anymore.

Then what about having a worker proposal for something useful if you can get a team that cheap and competent?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise

good lord. I don't.

kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

jakub

Awesome... I like to see something actionable.  Thank you!

@jakub, would you be willing to start a new thread exploring the worker proposal idea you have sketched out above?  And we can perhaps let this thread return to vision(ing)... which is still a worthy topic in its own right imo.
You're right, we've gone off topic. I'll start a new thread for this.

Offline lovejoy

• View Profile
    • Cryptofresh
  • BitShares: lovejoy
Could be another wave of 'The blockchain is hiring' meme... :)

Offline lovejoy

• View Profile
    • Cryptofresh
  • BitShares: lovejoy
Listen, I never said CNX should disappear from bts.  I just don't want them to be the dominant player in both bts knowledge and bts stake.  That is centralization.

Why don't we fund a worker proposal for employing for 2-3 months a C++ developer with these goals:
- thoroughly learn Graphene and its API,
- document it by expanding the existing documentation,
- create working examples of "hello world" smart contracts and operations,
- launch a test network,
- and for the next 2-3 months afterwards play the role of an "ask me anything" expert at our disposal

Estimated budget?

Awesome... I like to see something actionable.  Thank you!

@jakub, would you be willing to start a new thread exploring the worker proposal idea you have sketched out above?  And we can perhaps let this thread return to vision(ing)... which is still a worthy topic in its own right imo.

C++ Dev, 80k-ish / year full time salary?
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Skill=C%2b%2b/Salary#by_Years_Experience

So a 3 month contract for a new (independent of CNX) dev to get under the hood and completely map out all the terrain, what.. 20K?

jakub

Listen, I never said CNX should disappear from bts.  I just don't want them to be the dominant player in both bts knowledge and bts stake.  That is centralization.

Why don't we fund a worker proposal for employing for 2-3 months a C++ developer with these goals:
- launch a test network,
- and for the next 2-3 months afterwards play the role of an "ask me anything" expert at our disposal

Estimated budget?
So in total it would cost us around 4M BTS (for 3 months). Maybe more.

But I think it's worth it, if it means laying a solid foundation for ending CNX monopoly.

Offline onceuponatime

- launch a test network,

Estimated budget?

jakub

- launch a test network,

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

My posts do offer solutions... Sorry they are not the ones you like. 

I see CNX as the problem, obviously you do not.  But go ahead, keep taking my posts out of context and jabbing me personally.

Oh?

Ok.. magically you got your wish. CNX is literally GONE. They sold all their stake and they were taken up by Google with explicit instructions to never be involved in Bitshares ever again.

Where and how exactly does this leave Bitshares in a better position in this distopia you you seem to wish for? Hows that market cap doing now following this event? Who is doing all the dev work now? All of this seems predicated on some far reaching wishful thinking that someone China players will come back into the mix. When that doesn't happen, who's head do you want to lop off next as your 'solution' ?

How bitshares would be in a better position without CNX according to your loaded questions:

-Removal of uncertainty from quick random hardforks and setting changes.  CNX can push through and do anything they want.
-Market cap has already fallen over 90% from the highs in fiat and is at an all time low vs bitcoin.  At the same time we have alienated some of the bigger names in crypto because they didn't believe in Dan's vision.  I believe the market would actually see CNX leaving as a positive since bts would become more predictable and stable.
-I'm not sure if you read anything from @btswildpig but he was one of the main contacts with the chinese community.  He reported that many of the chinese investors left because of the how much of a wild card Dan and Stan are.  No business can be built because the rules constantly change.
-The whole point of this is to create a system where there is no head to lop off.  Then bts will truly be decentralized and can attract developers who have an even playing field and predictable rules.

No developer, company, or person should be able to hold a DECENTRALIZED chain hostage.  That is exactly what CNX has the ability to do.  And that's why bts can't attract outside devs and why the market cap has been slashed.

Edit: I do find it interesting that supposed crypto/decentralized people here use the "Your nothing without us!" argument...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 09:41:46 pm by lil_jay890 »

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

My posts do offer solutions... Sorry they are not the ones you like. 

I see CNX as the problem, obviously you do not.  But go ahead, keep taking my posts out of context and jabbing me personally.

Oh?

Ok.. magically you got your wish. CNX is literally GONE. They sold all their stake and they were taken up by Google with explicit instructions to never be involved in Bitshares ever again.

Where and how exactly does this leave Bitshares in a better position in this distopia you you seem to wish for? Hows that market cap doing now following this event? Who is doing all the dev work now? All of this seems predicated on some far reaching wishful thinking that someone China players will come back into the mix. When that doesn't happen, who's head do you want to lop off next as your 'solution' ?
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

jakub

@Akado - I will never drop the goal and requirement of profitability.  Profit is the key to sustainability which was outlined in my vision.  Everything I do is focused on PROFIT, but I want to make doing the RIGHT THING profitable.  If we make helping others profitable then it will help us help more people.

Can you explain how exactly you plan to make MAS profitable in 2016? As I have said before, I think it will require massive amount of work. I highly suspect that it wont bring any meaningful profits for Bitshares for a long time.

I'm also interested in this:
The Samaritan society will help anyone who follows our core values and experiences an unexpected and undeserved expense.
Who (and how) will distinguish between expected and unexpected / deserved and undeserved expenses?
This looks like a huge and complex issue for a blockchain-based solution.

EDIT: The answer to this question can be found here:
https://github.com/bitshares/bsips/blob/master/bsip-0009.md
When a member experiences an unexpected burden they request help from their society. Members of the society will then vote to approve or reject the request. If the request is approved then individuals with pre-committed funds may choose to give to their cause. The more you give to a society, the more it will give back to you many times over.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 08:18:41 pm by jakub »