Author Topic: Important questions from the business perspective  (Read 6339 times)

Offline EstefanTT

Thanks Fuzz'

It's good to know that ideas are flowing and the project keeps evolving !

I think there is much more potential there that this community realizes at the moment.
Just the fact to be able to tip freely token from BitShares on reddit, tweeter, ... it's an amazing way to evolve awareness around our UIA and that's just one tiny thing in the pannel of possibilities !
Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline fuzzy

About that :

"(3) This is what we currently know about the possibility of introducing a transfer fee threshold related to the BTS value being transferred:

Actually this question never got answered (please let me know if it was) though it has been proposed on several occasions, e.g.:
Quote from: Shentist on October 21, 2015, 06:19:23 PM
a transaction with value <= 1000 BTS you have to pay say 5 BTS
if it is higher the normal transaction transfer fee will be applied
"

I think the actual fees prevent any way of small purchase. Tips, coffee, newspaper, ...
Any merchant would ever accept to lose about 0.1€ on a 1,2€ coffee.

Lower the fees for small transaction would be a solution

I also think that there could be another way to do that with 0 bts fees. It could be done with something like Sharebits who would integrade a super simple android/ios wallet with just 3 functions : send / deposit / withdraw. It would be centralised but it doesn't matter because nobody would ever keep big sums of money there. It would be like a day to day wallet, something like having 20€ change in your pocket.
It could be use to tip, coffee, ...
When using the "mini wallet" try to send  to a real BTS address, it would create a new address in its database based on the same name of the BTS one and send the tip there. Nobody would have even to create an account on the wallet to receive tips.

Is something like that in your plans @fuzzy ?

Ronny and I have talked about some of this stuff with Freebie.  Sharebits really does seem to be becoming the yin to bitshares yang because not only does it kind of rebrand the use of the word "shares" to something that another demographic (those who enjoy sharing) use it and bring more people onboard...but it also does have this benefit of helping "bypass" the referral system fees to a degree...which has some nice benefits (though like you said before, it shouldn't be an account that holds much money at any given time).

ShareBits integration could make it so CCEDK/Open Ledger Accounts to be able to send directly to their nanocard and convert to whatever they want at the time of purchase...or another example is our talks with bitteaser who is trying to build a presence in the google adsense sector using bitcoin.  Some big stuff, but of course I have no clue what the outcomes of those conversations will be until I find out more.  @xeroc has some ideas on how to do some cool things with sharebits and an API for it.  I think perhaps he would be a good person to talk to since he is the technical person talking about this with aliana from bitteaser...so I should stop at where I can no longer give you 100% certainty.  :)
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

jakub

I think the actual fees prevent any way of small purchase. Tips, coffee, newspaper, ...

Lower the fees for small transaction would be a solution.
+5%
I fully agree. People who are new to BitShares are not going to trust it with any significant amounts of money.
Initially they will want to play with it by putting a couple of euros or dollars into the system.
And this is exactly the range where we utterly fail in terms of transfer fees.
I cannot think of any other existing payment system that asks you to pay a 10% fee for a $1 payment. 

I've been trying to address this issue in this proposal:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,20709.msg267842.html#msg267842

Offline EstefanTT

About that :

"(3) This is what we currently know about the possibility of introducing a transfer fee threshold related to the BTS value being transferred:

Actually this question never got answered (please let me know if it was) though it has been proposed on several occasions, e.g.:
Quote from: Shentist on October 21, 2015, 06:19:23 PM
a transaction with value <= 1000 BTS you have to pay say 5 BTS
if it is higher the normal transaction transfer fee will be applied
"

Lower the fees for small transaction would be a solution

I also think that there could be another way to do that with 0 bts fees. It could be done with something like Sharebits who would integrade a super simple android/ios wallet with just 3 functions : send / deposit / withdraw. It would be centralised but it doesn't matter because nobody would ever keep big sums of money there. It would be like a day to day wallet, something like having 20€ change in your pocket.
It could be use to tip, coffee, ...
When using the "mini wallet" try to send  to a real BTS address, it would create a new address in its database based on the same name of the BTS one and send the tip there. Nobody would have even to create an account on the wallet to receive tips.

Is something like that in your plans @fuzzy ?

Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
@jakub : valzav is using webstorm AFAIK

https://www.jetbrains.com/webstorm/

i'm working with atom.io editor and some plugins ..
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline svk

If anybody is interested in developing a native android or ios app using react native please don't hesitate to get in touch with me.
@valzav would you describe what tools (in terms of IDE) you recommend for react development? (both desktop and mobile)
What tools do you use to debug react apps? Just a browser or something more advanced?

I use Sublime, no fancy IDE needed. Eslint plugin is nice to have for linting but not essential.

For debugging you just need Chrome dev tools with React dev tools extension. The nice thing about React is that it's mostly vanilla JavaScript with some life cycle hooks, and you can use the debugger to set breakpoints wherever you like.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Can we we setup a worker proposal or FBA for the limewallet developers so they put the time into the mobile wallet????

+5%
@ElMato , would you be interested in this way of funding?
What is the estimated cost of completing the upgrade?

+5%
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

jakub

Can we we setup a worker proposal or FBA for the limewallet developers so they put the time into the mobile wallet????

+5%
@ElMato , would you be interested in this way of funding?
What is the estimated cost of completing the upgrade?

Offline Pheonike

jakub

If anybody is interested in developing a native android or ios app using react native please don't hesitate to get in touch with me.
@valzav would you describe what tools (in terms of IDE) you recommend for react development? (both desktop and mobile)
What tools do you use to debug react apps? Just a browser or something more advanced?

Offline valzav

• View Profile
Yes, going native is not only possible but can be very easy using react native. I have a sample react native app that takes advantage of all our existing client side crypto libs developed for the web wallet. If anybody is interested in developing a native android or ios app using react native please don't hesitate to get in touch with me.
As far as I know, react native is similar to xamarin, i.e. it's a javascript wrapper mapped to native UI components (whereas xamarin uses c#).
When using react native, will the code handling private keys and communication with the server be written in js or natively?

I was thinking about doing it purely native, i.e. without any javascript layer (as I have experience with native Android but no experience with js or react) .
Is it safe to assume pure Android code is doable?

In react native all business logic would in javascript. We already have all the js code needed to handle private keys and communication with the server.

jakub

Yes, going native is not only possible but can be very easy using react native. I have a sample react native app that takes advantage of all our existing client side crypto libs developed for the web wallet. If anybody is interested in developing a native android or ios app using react native please don't hesitate to get in touch with me.
As far as I know, react native is similar to xamarin, i.e. it's a javascript wrapper mapped to native UI components (whereas xamarin uses c#).
When using react native, will the code handling private keys and communication with the server be written in js or natively?

I was thinking about doing it purely native, i.e. without any javascript layer (as I have experience with native Android but no experience with js or react) .
Is it safe to assume pure Android code is doable?

Offline valzav

• View Profile
BitCash -
1)  We’re planning to have a beta for a mobile payment wallet web-app out at the beginning of the new year.  People  will be able to sign up using their native web browser on either iPhone or Android. 

That's excellent news.
Is the mobile app going to be native or JavaScript-based?

Javascript.  Performance for webapps is really good these days.

Is it safe to assume that native development is also possible?
In other words, are there any specific Javascript libraries being used in the web GUI that might not have their equivalents in Android / iOS?

jakub

BitCash -
1)  We’re planning to have a beta for a mobile payment wallet web-app out at the beginning of the new year.  People  will be able to sign up using their native web browser on either iPhone or Android. 

That's excellent news.
Is the mobile app going to be native or JavaScript-based?

Javascript.  Performance for webapps is really good these days.

Is it safe to assume that native development is also possible?
In other words, are there any specific Javascript libraries being used in the web GUI that might not have their equivalents in Android / iOS?

Offline ElMato

• View Profile
@ElMato - could u please give a short update on the limewallet project? thanks in advance :)

People, sorry for not being very active lately.

The delay in the new release of limewallet is just a matter of resources on our side.

We are doing consulting projects (some crypto related, some not) because we need funds to keep us alive and that allows us to keep working on the wallet.

Anyway, Im still working on the wallet (not at the speed i would like to) but we will be releasing a new version in the coming months.