Author Topic: Have you ever professionally gathered data? Can you find what's wrong here?  (Read 5546 times)

Offline mint chocolate chip

What is wrong:

The fact some folks around here have multiple accounts and are thus likely voting more then once.

Too much drama.

Offline fuzzy

Hm...a few more questions:[/b]
What opinion does this give you about the poll creator? 
Does it make them look more or less trustworthy?
Do you think this would potentially bias results? 
And if so could biased results of this poll, if used as a foundation to form an argument for public policy hurt others?

1.) It doesn't effect my opinion of the poll creator because I do not take polls here seriously. I take worker proposals seriously.
2.) I'm beginning to gleam the circumstances that might be causing you to ask, but I haven't seen the original thread. I think you should just write it off, whatever it is, your polls aren't hurting anything.
3.) Yes, if it had enough of a sample to be representative of the community, adjusted for lurkers, otherwise it's a moot point, which is the case in every forum poll ever posted by any member of this forum ever.
4.) Yes. I believe it's already happened here, but doesn't involve you, and I'd prefer not to elaborate.

If I had known this thread was prompted by some other thread initially I may not have responded. Whatever it is, don't let it get to you fuzzy.

hard to "not let it get to you" when a forum mod can post polls like this and then use them as a basis to attack a project in a way thatlooks like it is backed by the opinions of the forum.

I cant believe people actually are ok with his actions...
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Here you go: http://www.britishpollingcouncil.org/questions.html

I would say this council knows more than everyone on this forum combined in regards to this topic. Just read the information in the link and then attempt to govern yourself accordingly in the future.

Lets kill the drama monster while its still small.

End this thread.

This. I don't know what spams this forum more. Sharebot updates or Fuzzy's nonsense.
+ 1

"Can you find what's wrong here?"
My initial reaction was - fuzzy crying like a baby.

[semi-related]
And I gave it a second thought, and have very strong opinion now - fuzzy you are the best person to do the brownie distribution... BM's call was spot on  this . please, please, please go back to doing it and leave the peoples incompetence in poll making; community's lack of desire to change the world by the means of better forums and issue like that alone.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

unreadPostsSinceLastVisit

Hm...a few more questions:[/b]
And if so could biased results of this poll, if used as a foundation to form an argument for public policy hurt others?

1.) It doesn't effect my opinion of the poll creator because I do not take polls here seriously. I take worker proposals seriously.
2.) I'm beginning to gleam the circumstances that might be causing you to ask, but I haven't seen the original thread. I think you should just write it off, whatever it is, your polls aren't hurting anything.
3.) Yes, if it had enough of a sample to be representative of the community, adjusted for lurkers, otherwise it's a moot point, which is the case in every forum poll ever posted by any member of this forum ever.
4.) Yes. I believe it's already happened here, but doesn't involve you, and I'd prefer not to elaborate.

If I had known this thread was prompted by some other thread initially I may not have responded. Whatever it is, don't let it get to you fuzzy.

Offline fuzzy

I would say this council knows more than everyone on this forum combined in regards to this topic. Just read the information in the link and then attempt to govern yourself accordingly in the future.

End this thread.

This. I don't know what spams this forum more. Sharebot updates or Fuzzy's nonsense.

Interesting @phillyguy.  Are you saying that this thread itself is not valuable?  If so why are you taking away from its value by cutting it down so quickly?

If you notice I asked whether people disagreed with the other people's responses...and it was not I or they, but you who brought drama  :o
interesting...

@BunkerChain Labs let us dig into that link then and utilize the information to come to our own conclusions.  There is no reason to just post a link and tell people to read unless you have a specific link or piece of information you are linking to that pertains to this thread.  Lets please keep it to directly answering the questions of the thread.  Otherwise i could have very easily created a thread and told people: "Google "how to make an unbiased poll". 

For our community to grow, we don't just need to read by ourselves alone in a room.  We need to discuss topics.  So I appreciate your link, but do not think it is right or fair for you to want to end this discussion as it was intended for us to improve our own understanding and garner a conversation within our community (because that is what we are trying to improve). 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 06:01:11 pm by fuzzy »

Offline phillyguy

End this thread.

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

End this thread.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline fuzzy

One more question:
Does anyone Disagree with the two posters thus far?  Would anyone like to offer a counter argument to ensure this thread remains unbiased?

Offline fuzzy

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong here?  You will receive nothing in return for responding. 

I'll try.

Is it, "you can't be impartial if you're expressing an opinion on the subject?"

Interesting opinion here.  Can you tell me why impartiality is important when coming from the person creating the poll?

Because the person making the poll has the ability to influence results in ways that aren't as immediately obvious if you think about it. The way it's worded, the options allowed, the people he presents it to. They're also in a position to color the mood of the post by being the first post. Polls can be selectively chosen to emphasize some things and not others. I'm sure there are other reasons.

disclaimer: i've never gathered data professionally. I'm guessing.

Hm...a few more questions:

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 05:22:10 pm by fuzzy »

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong here?  You will receive nothing in return for responding. 

I'll try.

Interesting opinion here.  Can you tell me why impartiality is important when coming from the person creating the poll?

Because the person making the poll has the ability to influence results in ways that aren't as immediately obvious if you think about it. The way it's worded, the options allowed, the people he presents it to. They're also in a position to color the mood of the post by being the first post. Polls can be selectively chosen to emphasize some things and not others. I'm sure there are other reasons.

disclaimer: i've never gathered data professionally. I'm guessing.

Offline fuzzy

I'll try.

Offline fuzzy

It's pretty obvious to me - you offered your own opinion in your own poll !!! The poll owner shouldn't participate in the poll thread unless it is to clarify the meaning of poll options or wording used. Even that could influence the results if not done very carefully.

Interesting take.  My follow up to your response:  Why is this obvious?  How could it influence the results of my poll?  And how could my opinion bias others' responses?

Does anyone else find something wrong here?  This is meant as a lesson for all of us (including me).  We ONLY get better when we acknowledge our own downfalls.  And if we refuse to acknowledge those things, then we not only run the risk of hurting others, but in the end ourselves. 

Offline Thom

It's pretty obvious to me - you offered your own opinion in your own poll !!! The poll owner shouldn't participate in the poll thread unless it is to clarify the meaning of poll options or wording used. Even that could influence the results if not done very carefully.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

I'll try.

Offline fuzzy

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 04:48:57 pm by fuzzy »