Author Topic: 2016 Vision Blog Post  (Read 27363 times)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
To me, BitShares is a general purpose platform that is equally well suited for hard-nosed businesses and idealistic movements. 

I don't expect any single user to have a desire to participate in every business and movement.

But together they all grow the network effect and help raise the warp core above kindling temperature.

There are all kinds of potential MPAs, UIAs, FBAs and MASs that can be added by those so motivated. 

I welcome them all.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline bytemaster

A new year, calls for a renewed vision and direction for BitShares. For too long BitShares has been evolving without any clearly and consistently stated purpose or direction. Today I would to cast my vision for BitShares in 2016 and the years beyond. The most high level vision is to create a well ordered society that is governed in a manner that fully adheres to the Non Aggression Principle (NAP).

OMG! A business project which is based on false ideological principles is doomed to fail. Being determines consciousness. Economical  laws should determine ideology, not vise versa. Well, at least we have an interesting IT experiment.

What false ideological principles. I would be very happy to discuss the ideology and correct anyplace I am wrong.

I'll be brief today. Pseudo philosophical bullshit makes my confidence in project success go down to zero. That is why it is false. Just life experience. Little advise: if you want to make a successful company, forget about your ideological believes. Believe me, this will work :lol:

Well, I certainly don't want to be caught up in "pseudo philosophical bullshit" because I try to be very practical. But resorting to derogatory language as a shortcut to actual discussion is not helpful to me nor anyone else. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

I decided to remove the following section from the blog post because it is both controversial and being misunderstood.   I would love to discuss this in greater detail in a future post. 

For now I would like to clarify some things for those who have already read it:

1. The logical conclusion is that all "property" is actually assigned by consensus and thus by consensus all property can change hands.  Even property you have on your person.   This starts to sound like a case for legitimising taxation and "government ownership of everything".   To be clear, I do not believe that this is a good or proper way to organize society.  Personal property and property rights are a concept that must be defended by society or everything else falls apart due to inability to perform economic calculation.  My point was only that violence is not necessary to create a government capable of enforcing property rights *IF* all of society can reach a consensus on property rights.

2. @Thom If you want to argue about the definition of terms, then "government is violence" is a stance that I tend to agree with (historically).  But this is mostly because of how we as freedom lovers have chosen to define government in our minds. We have associated government with violence, theft, inefficiency, corruption, and slavery.  We have stipulated that "by definition government must use force" and "by definition if it doesn't use force then it isn't a government".   Those are OUR definitions and those very definitions are working against our cause which is to create a "well ordered society that doesn't violate the NAP".   

Others associate the term "government" with security, protection, safety net, order, and peace. They associate the term "anarchy" with "chaos" and every man for himself. If you tell someone that you are going to take away their government they will fight you, even if they hate their government.  If you tell them you want to replace their government with a new government that still protects them from crime, from foreign invasion, provides for schools, universal health insurance, and welfare without any taxation, prisons, or armed police then you will have their attention. 

You simply cannot reach the masses on a logical level using "our terms" we must reach them using their "terms".  The rational thinkers out there can see that there is a significant difference between a non-monopoly government following the NAP and a monopoly government that violates the NAP. It is all of the people who have pre-programmed gut reactions to resist any attempt to "eliminate" government that we need to reach by redefining the term "government" to be something that we are also OK with. 

## Cryptocurrency isn’t Property   

To understand how a blockchain can be used to create a non-violent society we must first dispel one of the most sacred beliefs regarding cryptocurrency: that a crypto-currency is property. If we believe that all value is perceived value then a crypto-currency is nothing more than value as perceived by others. Since we cannot control the perception of others we do not control the value of our cryptocurrency.

Taken a step further, what makes one fork of a blockchain valuable and another worthless? It is merely the perception of the individuals of society that choose to value one fork and not another. Going a step further, an individual with coins has no right to demand everyone else in society accept their transfer of funds. The rest of society is free to voluntarily decline to process his or her transaction. This would have the impact of rendering that individual’s coins worthless (freezing their account).

While no one likes to have their account frozen in part or in full this action does not constitute a violation of property rights nor the initiation of aggression.  It is the moral equivalent to earning a bad reputation. No one likes to have their reputation tarnished whether deserved or not. Unfortunately it is not something you own, but something others think of you. They own their thoughts, not you. 

This means that from a NAP point of view a society built on a blockchain may freely change how it wishes to interpret the information contained on a blockchain without violating the rights of the individuals.

This means that inflation on a blockchain isn’t theft. It means that the blockchain can vote to freeze your account or reallocate your balances without actually stealing anything from you. It means the blockchain can charge negative interest rates on your account without it being morally wrong nor aggression. In other words, it means there is a huge degree of flexibility that is possible for a society built on a blockchain without ever violating the non aggression principle (NAP).       

Not everything that is morally permissible is beneficial to society. Just because a blockchain may legitimately freeze your account, inflate, or charge negative interest rates does not mean that these attributes will garner support from society. The defining characteristic of a blockchain based government based on the NAP is that members of the society are free to leave for another blockchain. This means that free market competition will drive a blockchain based government to adopt policies that are fair and widely accepted or its currency will lose value and influence.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline yvv

• View Profile
A new year, calls for a renewed vision and direction for BitShares. For too long BitShares has been evolving without any clearly and consistently stated purpose or direction. Today I would to cast my vision for BitShares in 2016 and the years beyond. The most high level vision is to create a well ordered society that is governed in a manner that fully adheres to the Non Aggression Principle (NAP).

OMG! A business project which is based on false ideological principles is doomed to fail. Being determines consciousness. Economical  laws should determine ideology, not vise versa. Well, at least we have an interesting IT experiment.

What false ideological principles. I would be very happy to discuss the ideology and correct anyplace I am wrong.

I'll be brief today. Pseudo philosophical bullshit makes my confidence in project success go down to zero. That is why it is false. Just life experience. Little advise: if you want to make a successful company, forget about your ideological believes. Believe me, this will work :lol:

Offline bytemaster

What false ideological principles? I would be very happy to discuss the ideology and correct anyplace I am wrong. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 01:04:02 am by Stan »

Offline Thom

Rather than argue about terminology, I propose we create a government that adheres to the NAP.

Once you define your terms you'll see how oxymoronic that statement is. Government IS force. In almost every important fact it violates the NAP (Non Aggression Principle for those unfamiliar).

If you replace "government" with "community whose rules don't violate the NAP" that's easy, it's already done. Nobody is forcing anyone to be here or invest here. Make sure all rules of our ecosystem adhere to the principles you listed and you'll promote the kind of marketplace the majority of people want. You'll never please everyone, so don't even try to!

Thanks for your sentiment. Let's see if everyone will do their part to help pull it off. Here's hoping 2016 with be the year BitShares gets recognized for the world changing tech it is. Here's hoping the right people finally see that and the markets move favorably in BitShares favor. Here's hoping CNX won't do anything that hinders progress. Here's hoping the dev team will stay focused towards goals leading to overall success and an increase in adoption and / or marketcap.

Here's hoping everybody in this amazing community has fire in their belly and passion in their heart to see this project succeed, and may you all have a wonderful holiday season & best wishes in the coming year!!!
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
The entire "cryptocurrency isn't property" argument is really hard for me to follow.

Any "property" which you can't protect with your body (the theft of which would then require violating NAP) is protected for you by the government via property laws.

Your car deed is also a shared societal perception that the car "belongs" to you. If I come hotwire it while you are asleep, by your own reasoning I have not violated NAP.

A lot of anarchists don't believe in property rights other than what you can carry, and it's not an invalid argument, I just think it's not what you actually believe.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 12:22:18 am by toast »
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Chronos

From the blog post:

While no one likes to have their account frozen in part or in full this action does not constitute a violation of property rights

Would you say that USD freezes and seizures are also not a violation of property rights? That claim seems bogus to me.

EDIT: Reading closer, I see that you're saying a majority can freeze an account. But this isn't a population majority, it's a wealth majority. Are those equivalent to you?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 12:19:19 am by Chronos »

Offline sittingduck

• View Profile
I am glad there is an attempt at vision.  Obviously bts holders have to concur with any vision. Bm is just one person.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
"For too long BitShares has been evolving without any clearly and consistently stated purpose or direction."

The reason why it was hard for me and others to contribute to anything. Everything seems to happen randomly with Bitshares and with a lack of clear priorities.
It's unchanged after the blog post in OP.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline ValentinJesse

• View Profile
"For too long BitShares has been evolving without any clearly and consistently stated purpose or direction."

The reason why it was hard for me and others to contribute to anything. Everything seems to happen randomly with Bitshares and with a lack of clear priorities.

Offline yvv

• View Profile

Offline bytemaster