Author Topic: 2016 Vision Blog Post  (Read 27391 times)

Offline onceuponatime

Here's the problem.  Most people, and i'm going to guess over 90%, are here to try to leverage the overall move of the public to blockchain tech.  They are trying to profit by beating the banks. They are trying to leverage the technical  superiority of bitshares compared to bitcoin to achieve a higher beta return.

A major problem seems to be that hiring devs to add the features and refinements and upgrades that everyone wants takes funding.  How are "they" (those making suggestions/requests) proposing to hire and pay devs to accomplish "their" desires in the order that they propose?

These discussions could be a lot more fruitful if plans for funding of requests accompanied those requests.

If you own BTS now, you own a share of the blockchain technology "as is". You have not paid for future development (the money for that ran out a long time ago).

Offline mike623317

• View Profile
Here's the problem.  Most people, and i'm going to guess over 90%, are here to try to leverage the overall move of the public to blockchain tech.  They are trying to profit by beating the banks.  They are trying to leverage the technical  superiority of bitshares compared to bitcoin to achieve a higher beta return.

What you are talking about is head in the clouds philisophical type of stuff that these 90% are not interested in.  You might not think that is the case based on reading the forums, but these people are voting with their feet and leaving bitshares.

Bitshares was in the great position to be a decentralized exchange, with increased security, and 0% chance of being mf globaled.  The amount of traders that would have embraced this would have been huge... i personally know very influential traders that fear that the markets will be taken away within the next 10 years.  With bts that would have been impossible.  All we had to do was grow that business... but we killed our golden goose.  Unable to build and grow what could have been the cornerstone of your new free society.  It's a lack of focus, which has been bitshares calling card for over a year now.

I hate what has happened to bitshares.  It's some ideological play pen for large holders and founders at the expense of the smaller holders.  I'm going to continue to hold by bts because maybe I'm missing something bigger... but when I see core dev's selling all their personal holdings I fear I should do the same.

+5%

Philosophy is great, but what people, including me, are interested is real business. So what's our business plan for 2016? DEX? If so, please focus on exchange features (like BSIP 4) first. Banking based on blockchain? Then PR to bankers and make agreement with real banks.

THIS ^^^^

Offline mike623317

• View Profile
"For too long BitShares has been evolving without any clearly and consistently stated purpose or direction."

The reason why it was hard for me and others to contribute to anything. Everything seems to happen randomly with Bitshares and with a lack of clear priorities.

It is my new years resolution to do a much better job communicating and leading than I have in the past year.

While i welcome the libertarian discussion i really do think it should be the non-focal point. Politics is so divisive (remember ron paul being boo'ed at republican debates?) and i think we should focus on our competitive advantage / business advantages.  2016 should be about regaining our lost mkt cap (a better UI, more innovation etc).

just my 2 cents.

Offline Riverhead

Bitshares was in the great position to be a decentralized exchange, with increased security, and 0% chance of being mf globaled.  The amount of traders that would have embraced this would have been huge... i personally know very influential traders that fear that the markets will be taken away within the next 10 years.  With bts that would have been impossible.  All we had to do was grow that business... but we killed our golden goose.

I agree with your initial assessment of the 90% and that the ideological goals would be easier to achieve once the financials were secure. However I do not agree that the golden goose is dead or even lame. The platform is powerful and one person's use case for it, even if it is the creator, does not drive everything. It can still be the exchange platform for the masses, the POS that competes with Visa/Mastercard, and a social currency exchange.

IMHO this is akin to trying to decide what the internet should be used for when really we should be just insuring that it stays as open as possible.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
Here's the problem.  Most people, and i'm going to guess over 90%, are here to try to leverage the overall move of the public to blockchain tech.  They are trying to profit by beating the banks.  They are trying to leverage the technical  superiority of bitshares compared to bitcoin to achieve a higher beta return.

What you are talking about is head in the clouds philisophical type of stuff that these 90% are not interested in.  You might not think that is the case based on reading the forums, but these people are voting with their feet and leaving bitshares.

Bitshares was in the great position to be a decentralized exchange, with increased security, and 0% chance of being mf globaled.  The amount of traders that would have embraced this would have been huge... i personally know very influential traders that fear that the markets will be taken away within the next 10 years.  With bts that would have been impossible.  All we had to do was grow that business... but we killed our golden goose.  Unable to build and grow what could have been the cornerstone of your new free society.  It's a lack of focus, which has been bitshares calling card for over a year now.

I hate what has happened to bitshares.  It's some ideological play pen for large holders and founders at the expense of the smaller holders.  I'm going to continue to hold by bts because maybe I'm missing something bigger... but when I see core dev's selling all their personal holdings I fear I should do the same.

+5%

Philosophy is great, but what people, including me, are interested is real business. So what's our business plan for 2016? DEX? If so, please focus on exchange features (like BSIP 4) first. Banking based on blockchain? Then PR to bankers and make agreement with real banks.

I like political people . Part of me still one .
I just wish they have raised money mainly from political people as well , instead of us . 
Because I normally don't pitch in financially for a political cause , I would rather pitch in with my thoughts .
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop

+5%

Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
Proof of stake means holders value their stake . They would not do stupid decision to hurt their stake . Hence proof of stake is somehow "secured" .

But mixing with political agenda , we have observed so many times in history , that people would sacrifice their own blood for political pursuit , let alone financial interest  .

Unless the system is somehow secured by "proof of believes" , I smell danger .

The vote thing that turned into the merger maybe a perfect example . I can't help to wonder "a transparent vote" is so addictive to a guy with so much political pursuit that he has to make it his priority .

这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
I apologise yvv, it's very late here and i must get to bed. I'm very interested to understand your warning about ideology but I'll have to check out any response tomorrow! Goodnight.

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
If we can achieve government via blockchain using consensus, supported by reputation and free markets then perhaps the word "government" may be redeemed.

I agree with the emphasis being shifted to community and the value the BitShares network can offer as an unparalleled tool for society.  BM your words inspire me and once again reinforce my conviction that BitShares is the place to be.

I disagree with yvv in his belief that ideology endangers the BitShares network. Pursuit of the right ideology (and we've been grappling with what that is since the dawn of Bitcoin) is the only way BitShares will grow significantly. Yes the technology must be competitive, accessible, with exceptional utility but it is the thorough philosophical analysis and vision that sets BitShares apart. Incentives that enable the network to exist and function are essential but isn't the legacy of greater importance?  Without well reasoned ideology, there would be no dedication to ensuring the choices we make wll ensure BitShares is built to endure.

I am not a believer. I don't have any believes. Being determines consciousness. This is a scientific fact. You deny it, good luck to you.
I'm not sure I know what you mean by 'being determines consciousness.' Please would you explain it further?

All I believe is that humans are capable of organising themselves in such a way that it is possible to live in peace with an economic system that is resistant to corruption over time. BitShares is the the closest to accomplishing that objective and I agree that the best way to grow the network (assuming our existing tools are ready) is to form partnerships, help people, help communities and realise the enormous value that we already have.

Offline sittingduck

• View Profile

If we can achieve government via blockchain using consensus, supported by reputation and free markets then perhaps the word "government" may be redeemed.

I agree with the emphasis being shifted to community and the value the BitShares network can offer as an unparalleled tool for society.  BM your words inspire me and once again reinforce my conviction that BitShares is the place to be.

I disagree with yvv in his belief that ideology endangers the BitShares network. Pursuit of the right ideology (and we've been grappling with what that is since the dawn of Bitcoin) is the only way BitShares will grow significantly. Yes the technology must be competitive, accessible, with exceptional utility but it is the thorough philosophical analysis and vision that sets BitShares apart. Incentives that enable the network to exist and function are essential but isn't the legacy of greater importance?  Without well reasoned ideology, there would be no dedication to ensuring the choices we make wll ensure BitShares is built to endure.
+1

Offline yvv

• View Profile

I am not a believer. I don't have any believes. Being determines consciousness. This is a scientific fact. You deny it, good luck to you.

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 01:53:21 am by Ben Mason »

Offline yvv

• View Profile
A new year, calls for a renewed vision and direction for BitShares. For too long BitShares has been evolving without any clearly and consistently stated purpose or direction. Today I would to cast my vision for BitShares in 2016 and the years beyond. The most high level vision is to create a well ordered society that is governed in a manner that fully adheres to the Non Aggression Principle (NAP).

OMG! A business project which is based on false ideological principles is doomed to fail. Being determines consciousness. Economical  laws should determine ideology, not vise versa. Well, at least we have an interesting IT experiment.

What false ideological principles. I would be very happy to discuss the ideology and correct anyplace I am wrong.

I'll be brief today. Pseudo philosophical bullshit makes my confidence in project success go down to zero. That is why it is false. Just life experience. Little advise: if you want to make a successful company, forget about your ideological believes. Believe me, this will work :lol:

Well, I certainly don't want to be caught up in "pseudo philosophical bullshit" because I try to be very practical. But resorting to derogatory language as a shortcut to actual discussion is not helpful to me nor anyone else.

That's ok. You are free to do whatever you want. Just don't forget, being determines consciousness, not vice versa.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 01:07:52 am by yvv »

Offline bytemaster

"For too long BitShares has been evolving without any clearly and consistently stated purpose or direction."

The reason why it was hard for me and others to contribute to anything. Everything seems to happen randomly with Bitshares and with a lack of clear priorities.

It is my new years resolution to do a much better job communicating and leading than I have in the past year.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.