Author Topic: DEX Proposal  (Read 9423 times)

jakub

I will set something up because it is apparent that BitShares needs continuous development and maintenance of its core features.

Rather than having one worker proposal, I will define 4 proposals.  Each proposal will be for $7500 per month.  The proposals will be "open ended" without specific tasks assigned beyond "maintaining and enhancing existing features".  This will cover the cost of fixing bugs, improving documentation, adding GUI support for existing features on the blockchain (proposed transactions, white listing, withdraw permissions), improving the API, etc. 

The community can then vote for how much to fund us and we will put in the time proportional to funding. 

Any unfunded time will be spent building our own business on top of bitshares.

+5%
Sounds good to me.
I'd only add "Graphene education" to "maintaining and enhancing existing features", so that you treat teaching, sharing your knowledge and answering community questions as an important part of your routine, on par with coding.

Offline bytemaster

I will set something up because it is apparent that BitShares needs continuous development and maintenance of its core features.

Rather than having one worker proposal, I will define 4 proposals.  Each proposal will be for $7500 per month.  The proposals will be "open ended" without specific tasks assigned beyond "maintaining and enhancing existing features".  This will cover the cost of fixing bugs, improving documentation, adding GUI support for existing features on the blockchain (proposed transactions, white listing, withdraw permissions), improving the API, etc. 

The community can then vote for how much to fund us and we will put in the time proportional to funding. 

Any unfunded time will be spent building our own business on top of bitshares. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
I don't claim to know the best way for you, or anyone, to spend their time; However I for one would be perfectly fine with "about $30K per month to have Val, Ben, James, and I working on the DEX 75% of the time."  One way or another, development needs to continue on a multitude of fronts.

I have a hard time imagining how funding the very people who conceived, architected, and developed BitShares (this still not fully explored or understood powerhouse of a blockchain) could be anything but beneficial.

Knowing this crowd, I will be preemptive here and also say I would support a complimentary worker proposal that saw you mentoring other talented developers to help cultivate a plurality of skilled devs within the bts ecosystem.

All this said, a hearty  +5% to what was expressed by @CoinHoarder here as well.

+5%
+5%

+5%

jakub

I support paying bytemaster and crew 30k USD per month for continuing to improve the DEX

For me this is also probably worth the money, but a lot here depends on the time span.
How much (roughly) can be done in one month if we decide to employ 75% of CNX workforce for 30k USD / month?

This thread was a result of that pressure from forum members (I didn't say stakeholders) in my estimation.

As BM has not bothered to be more specific, I also have this impression that he actually prefers us to reject this offer.
If we accepted, how would this be reconciled with the manpower needed for Stealth and MAS? This is all very unclear to me.

Maybe this approach is more realistic: after Stealth is completed (Feb/March) and before the work for MAS has started, why don't we come to an agreement to pay CNX 30k per month and have 75% of CNX manpower in that single month devoted to one purpose only: tutorials, FAQs, educational materials, third-party training. In other words, for 30k USD we could set up a Graphene school and increase the number of people with a Graphene skill-set by 100 or 200%.

For me, this 30k USD investment in manpower inside the ecosystem is worth more than any DEX feature that CNX is able to deliver within a period of one month.
It will slow us down by one month, but in exchange it will give us an enormous acceleration afterwards.

@bytemaster , what are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 01:35:19 pm by jakub »

Offline mindphlux

• View Profile
I support paying bytemaster and crew 30k USD per month for continuing to improve the DEX
Please consider voting for my witness mindphlux.witness and my committee user mindphlux. I will not vote for changes that affect witness pay.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I don't claim to know the best way for you, or anyone, to spend their time; However I for one would be perfectly fine with "about $30K per month to have Val, Ben, James, and I working on the DEX 75% of the time."  One way or another, development needs to continue on a multitude of fronts.

I have a hard time imagining how funding the very people who conceived, architected, and developed BitShares (this still not fully explored or understood powerhouse of a blockchain) could be anything but beneficial.

Knowing this crowd, I will be preemptive here and also say I would support a complimentary worker proposal that saw you mentoring other talented developers to help cultivate a plurality of skilled devs within the bts ecosystem.

All this said, a hearty  +5% to what was expressed by @CoinHoarder here as well.

+5%
+5%

Offline bitacer

+5%

Offline lovejoy

• View Profile
    • Cryptofresh
  • BitShares: lovejoy

« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 05:25:04 am by lovejoy »

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

I'm actually somewhat surprise DSN, as you're usually the voice of reason when it comes to doing market research and making a solid business plan based on it. Perhaps you have inside information swaying you? But I see no such plan presented, just a concept and a pitch. Part of that plan should be "opportunity costs" for business lost in one market b/c the focus is shifted to another one. All we ask as shareholders is accountable transparency. I thought this forum and specifically this discussion of priorities, DEX / MAS was part of that process.

I am... there is nothing that has been introduced thus far to suggest otherwise. It all begins with a vision.. followed by planning and then followed by research.

The only take away at this point and why BM is sharing his vision of what he wants to build on Bitshares, is that it is going to help Bitshare grow. Otherwise what business was/is it of ours? He is just excited about realizing a vision he has had for a long time that can now technically be possible.

BM really has no reason to be publishing a business plan or his own market research. Really do you want other communities to just be gobbling it up similar to what happened with BitAssets by implementing their own versions possibly quicker to market?

Seriously, I think everyone really needs to stop focusing on what BM and CNX does.. and really focus on what we (the stakeholders) are going to do with Bitshares. I am glad to see some members of the community finally getting this and starting to make such movements that are happening in other threads. THAT is what our discussion should be about. Everything else is misdirected/misplaced energy.

This thread was a result of that pressure from forum members (I didn't say stakeholders) in my estimation.

Thus my  +5% to some of the sentiments that @CoinHoarder made.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline sittingduck

• View Profile
He has been working on dex. But he needs to find a sustainable income source to continue. I for one am glad he is looking for options that don't dilute

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
A lot of people have expressed interest in having me/CNX focus on the DEX. 

If that is the case, I can create a worker proposal that will fund almost full time DEX development.  It will require about $30K per month to have Val, Ben, James, and I working on the DEX 75% of the time. 

Otherwise we will have to find other ways to make money.

What are your thoughts on such a proposal?  We would focus on API + Bond + Maker.

I thought you were working on the DEX. Isnt that what BitShares is supposed to be?

Offline btstip

• View Profile
  • BitShares: btstip-io
Hey 38PTSWarrior, here are the results of your tips...
Curious about ShareBits? Visit us at http://sharebits.io and start tipping BTS on https://bitsharestalk.org/ today!
Created by hybridd

38PTSWarrior

#sharebits “CoinHoarder“ 1 CHATEAUX
Pro CoinHoarder. Also I believe that bytemaster should code away like he wants for best results and to keep the momentum. Flow flow flow.
A lot of voting going on. Maybe too much to get a good picture of what everyone votes.
When everyone here contributes with what he can, then we will get respect from outside.
Discussing things to death, please no, cheers

TravelsAsia

If that is the case, I can create a worker proposal that will fund almost full time DEX development.  It will require about $30K per month to have Val, Ben, James, and I working on the DEX 75% of the time. 

What are your thoughts on such a proposal?  We would focus on API + Bond + Maker.
Where's percentage based fee? I'm wondering why you keep ignoring BSIP4. Do you think it is worthless?

+5%

Please create a proposal.

Offline Thom

I suggest that you not let the outspoken shareholders hold you hostage. They claim you are holding them hostage, but that couldn't be further from the truth. They need to learn how to get organized, find talent (developers), and fund development of the projects they want to see developed. This is their problem, not yours alone (or CNX's), and it is better they learn how to properly use Bitshares' features now rather than later. Let them organize the projects, find developers, fund them, etc... to build out the features as they want them built. It will be a good lesson for the community and a proof of concept of sorts for Bitshares' features. They need to learn nothing is free and to stop being so cheap. The first independent developer thread has started and they're already talking about outsourcing the work overseas to some quasi sweatshop worker that will work for $5 a hour... let them learn the hard way.

You were right to deduce that your time will be better spent working on MAS than the DEX. Your idea of mutual aid societies will have a much bigger effect on the Bitshares token price than "finishing" the DEX will. MAS has no competition in the cryptosphere... the DEX has AT LEAST 4 competing projects fighting over a small and limited user base (most of which has already made up their minds one way or the other about Bitshares.) Swing for the fences. These guys can't see your vision right now and how much more lucrative it is than "finishing" the DEX, but they will be thanking you a year from now if you push on with your MAS idea and the user base expands exponentially because of such (along with the value of the BTS token and ironically the liquidity/volume of the DEX.) The PR alone from this will be worth its weight in bitGOLD.

+5%
+5%

Sorry Data, but to  characterize this issue as "Holding BM hostage" is so wrong on several levels.

1) First and foremost nobody is taking BM's choice away to do what he wants. BM chose to create BitShares and he can walk away anytime. Of course his rep will be severely impacted, even more than it already has been by the crypto marketplace.

2) BM chose to publish his intentions concerning MAS as well as continually operate in a highly transparent fasion, thus inviting comments from anyone. He has said many things, including his departure from the "If I build it they will come" attitude, but I see MAS as exactly that. Better if his passion drove him to start researching how to do MAS, gaining advocates, sponsors, market research etc FIRST, THEN make an announcement and proposal to act on that information. I think MAS is a good idea, but I also see it as a premature announcement that is just one more in a series of his poor judgement of how shareholders might react.

3) If the shareholders strongly vocalize their desires in a different direction than BM wants to go BM still basically has 3 choices:
     A - Ignore the feedback and do whatever he damned well pleases
     B - Forget the idea and continue with his previous development efforts (and what are those this week? Attract devs? Best DEX?)
     C - Come up with a new plan

I'm actually somewhat surprise DSN, as you're usually the voice of reason when it comes to doing market research and making a solid business plan based on it. Perhaps you have inside information swaying you? But I see no such plan presented, just a concept and a pitch. Part of that plan should be "opportunity costs" for business lost in one market b/c the focus is shifted to another one. All we ask as shareholders is accountable transparency. I thought this forum and specifically this discussion of priorities, DEX / MAS was part of that process.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline GaltReport

I don't think this is unfair and is just what it costs CNX to do more work at this stage.

It would be good to see estimated timelines for each feature.

Given that we can possibly get Latvian/other Devs for $12k a year, I think CNX's focus should also be on trying to create a second team of overseas devs that are outsourced whatever work it is possible for them to handle.

BTS's value would increase substantially with another team or group of developers working on improving BTS at the same time & for much less than US based devs could.

Helping get as many new devs up and running would also free you to work on MAS/personal passion and focus on the more lucrative banking/other contracts CNX has.

I like this idea. why not create a worker proposal to train up a bunch of cheaper devs from eastern europe so that company can compete against CNX.

I think this is the direction Jakub is going, probably at a more realistic place & KenCode seems like someone who could ultimately manage such a team - https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,20823.0.html

I wouldn't say compete with CNX as new visionary features are something BM & CNX are ideal for, but completing the periphery work at a price BTS can afford as well as the more mundane work, could be ideal for a cheaper group of BTS proficient E. European devs.
Maybe CNX can manage these cheaper, hands-on developer teams for awhile and overtime they may become more self-reliant.

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile

I don't think this is unfair and is just what it costs CNX to do more work at this stage.

Given that we can possibly get Latvian/other Devs for $12k a year, I think CNX's focus should also be on trying to create a second team of overseas devs that are outsourced whatever work it is possible for them to handle.

BTS's value would increase substantially with another team or group of developers working on improving BTS at the same time & for much less than US based devs could.

Helping get as many new devs up and running would also free you to work on MAS/personal passion and focus on the more lucrative banking/other contracts CNX has.

I like this idea. why not create a worker proposal to train up a bunch of cheaper devs from eastern europe so that company can compete against CNX.

I think this is the direction Jakub is going, probably at a more realistic place & KenCode seems like someone who could ultimately manage such a team - https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,20823.0.html

I wouldn't say compete with CNX as new visionary features are something BM & CNX are ideal for, but completing the periphery work at a price BTS can afford as well as the more mundane work, could be ideal for a cheaper group of BTS proficient E. European devs.

If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo

I suggest that you not let the outspoken shareholders hold you hostage. They claim you are holding them hostage, but that couldn't be further from the truth. They need to learn how to get organized, find talent (developers), and fund development of the projects they want to see developed. This is their problem, not yours alone (or CNX's), and it is better they learn how to properly use Bitshares' features now rather than later. Let them organize the projects, find developers, fund them, etc... to build out the features as they want them built. It will be a good lesson for the community and a proof of concept of sorts for Bitshares' features. They need to learn nothing is free and to stop being so cheap. The first independent developer thread has started and they're already talking about outsourcing the work overseas to some quasi sweatshop worker that will work for $5 a hour... let them learn the hard way.

You were right to deduce that your time will be better spent working on MAS than the DEX. Your idea of mutual aid societies will have a much bigger effect on the Bitshares token price than "finishing" the DEX will. MAS has no competition in the cryptosphere... the DEX has AT LEAST 4 competing projects fighting over a small and limited user base (most of which has already made up their minds one way or the other about Bitshares.) Swing for the fences. These guys can't see your vision right now and how much more lucrative it is than "finishing" the DEX, but they will be thanking you a year from now if you push on with your MAS idea and the user base expands exponentially because of such (along with the value of the BTS token and ironically the liquidity/volume of the DEX.) The PR alone from this will be worth its weight in bitGOLD.

+5%
+5%

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
    • twitter.com/jonnybitcoin

I run the @bitshares twitter handle
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

+5%
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline valtr

• View Profile
Honestly I can not guess if MAS would be better in attracting users, but I think BitShares needs advance in DEX.
Please make a proposal for shareholders voting.

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile

If you want to take the island burn the boats

jakub

I appreciate it a lot that you've made this proposal. Even if the price is quite high, at least we are offered a choice.

If you spend 75% of your time - how many months (roughly) will it take?
Also, is it safe to assume that you'll need $20k to devote 50% of your time?

Offline morpheus

• View Profile
Put it to the ultimate test - shareholder vote.  That is the only way you are going to find out which way this project is truly headed.  Find out whether stakeholders want to focus on the dex, mas or both.  Fortunately all the forum disdain for stakeholders doesn't matter with DPOS.  The only thing that matters is stakeholder vote.

The dex needs to be finished... and if we were perhaps to capture a portion of the global derivatives market, then it may never truly be finished.  Mas is just a distraction at this point IMO.

Offline bitacer

+5%

Offline CoinHoarder

• In Cryptocoins I Trust
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:51:54 am by CoinHoarder »
https://www.decentralized.tech/ -> Market Data, Portfolios, Information, Links, Reviews, Forums, Blogs, Etc.
https://www.cryptohun.ch/ -> Tradable Blockchain Asset PvP Card Game

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
Holy shit. This proposal is amazing.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

ohh danny  how much is it gonna cost us for you to not take your ball and continue playing whatever game you like?

how much is it gonna cost us for you to stop crying anytime not everybody kneels in total admiration when you decide that "this game is not so good but the next one is gonna be great"?
 :'( :'( :'(

Do you know what? It is your baby left without a hand (or a leg), for you deciding you are no longer interested enough to work on his non-essential and boring parts...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:01:58 am by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile

How about get 30K per months by working for other people/company/big banks/ who wants a DEX and BTS get all the features as to what you implied from the upgrade threads of BTS2.0 ?
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop

Where's percentage based fee? I'm wondering why you keep ignoring BSIP4. Do you think it is worthless?
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
30k per month for how long? 3-4 months? 6 months? 10 months?

I think most people ask for DEX stuff, me included, because of everything they see on bitshares.org/technology which made everyone think we'd have those features on 2.0 when we clearly don't. I think that was the major problem originally. Of course I didn't think you'd make all of that for free but if it takes $500000 to get that done then I believe most people just had the wrong and complete idea of how 2.0 would be. Lack of communication once again.

I strongly believe most people thought they would have this on 2.0 https://bitshares.org/technology/ when 1st: we seem to be heading elsewhere and 2nd: they didn't take into account you would charge for it. I'm not saying you should do this for free, but most people didn't expect to pay lik3 $300000-500000k to have all of this on 2.0

Price-Stable Cryptocurrencies - check - though it seems some aren't happy with this model
Decentralized Asset Exchange - check?
Industrial Performance and Scalability  - check?
Dynamic Account Permissions - do we have this at GUI level?
Recurring & Scheduled Payments  - Nope, at least in hte GUI
Referral Rewards Program - check
User-Issued Assets - check
Collateralized Bond Market - Nope
Stakeholder-Approved Project Funding  - Check
Transferable Named Accounts  - Dont know the status
Delegated Proof-of-Stake Consensus - check

Still, nice to see you considering DEX related stuff. Could you share a few more details what do you plan to improve? Does that include some of the stuff you mentioned when you created that list with worker proposals? Would like to know since, taking the worst case scenario values and you need 500k to make all of that a reality, at current marketcap of 9M it's a dilution of 5,5%. A list of stuff should be easier for people to consider against those values.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 02:04:25 am by Akado »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.