Author Topic: Let`s kickstart the Stock derivatives Market  (Read 8401 times)

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
    • twitter.com/jonnybitcoin
We should focus on only one BTS/BITASSET market.  Probably CNY or USD.  Then we should have market making in the CNY/USD market where the risks are lower.

I believe this is the way forward.
I run the @bitshares twitter handle
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline btswolf

What is needed to bring Stock derivatives online?
If I understand it correct the Committee could bring in a lot of MPAs that reflect the price of real Stocks, ETFs etc?
What is holding us back in creating those assets?

I would love to diversify my portfolio by mixing it with many more kinds of investments.
We could be the first Exchange to trade really anything.

This would bring us a lot of attention and thus more users and liquidity.
We should bring ever week a couple of new assets.
every week in the news
growing a bit every week

Thoughts?

Unfortunately none of the MPAs/bitassets/smartcoins are serving there purpose due to lack of liquidity, large spreads and no depth.

All efforts should be focused on getting bitUSD and bitCNY functioning with low spreads and market depth.

We are a long way from having stock market indexs as MPAs let alone individual stocks.

There has to be a reason why people should buy bitUSD CNY etc. The more Assets can be traded against pegged FIAT the more demand and liquidity will come.

we can think and talk all the time about how to bring liquidity, but whatever we try to create artificially will be a waste of time and resources. we need to create demand through opportunities. give me the possibility to create a buy order on my favorite stock and I`m sure I will find someone to short it.

lots of people would want bitusd if it was available to buy. But you can't! theres only $1000 available for sale at the moment at a 20% premium!

- And what`s the  cause?
I believe the cause is that our the trading community is too small.

- And what`s the conclusion?
I believe we just need a bigger community.

- And how to become a bigger community?
I believe we need to create incentives.

- And how to create incentives?
I believe people want to be able to trade at any time, anything for the cheapest possible trading fees.

- And how to trade at any time, anything for the lowest fees?
You can already trade at any time for the lowest fees compared to traditional stock exchanges and FOREX brokers on BitShares.
I believe we just need more assets that reflect the value of real world assets and to create more trading incentives.

Sure this is nothing that will grow our community over night. But even if we could generate just a bit more publicity by being able to compete with traditional markets this would be a success.
Create 10 CFDs per week and gain ongoing promotion for free.
Create headlines by adding stocks that are popular at a given time, e.g. Forbes Top50 Fintech for 2016.
If a company comes up with a new popular Stock or whatever you can trade at a exchange create a CFD of it on BitShares.

Every single user we can bring in will add his tiny bit of liquidity.

The key to success is to keep growing, by diversity.

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
If I understand it correct the Committee could bring in a lot of MPAs that reflect the price of real Stocks, ETFs etc?

I would love to diversify my portfolio by mixing it with many more kinds of investments.

every week in the news
growing a bit every week

Thoughts?

Unfortunately none of the MPAs/bitassets/smartcoins are serving there purpose due to lack of liquidity, large spreads and no depth.

All efforts should be focused on getting bitUSD and bitCNY functioning with low spreads and market depth.

We are a long way from having stock market indexs as MPAs let alone individual stocks.

There has to be a reason why people should buy bitUSD CNY etc. The more Assets can be traded against pegged FIAT the more demand and liquidity will come.

we can think and talk all the time about how to bring liquidity, but whatever we try to create artificially will be a waste of time and resources. we need to create demand through opportunities. give me the possibility to create a buy order on my favorite stock and I`m sure I will find someone to short it.

lots of people would want bitusd if it was available to buy. But you can't! theres only $1000 available for sale at the moment at a 20% premium! 
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile

every week in the news
growing a bit every week

Thoughts?

According to FactSet, year-to-date combined average volume of the 10 most actively-traded companies on the S&P 500 SPX, -0.94%  was more than the volume of the bottom least-traded 250 companies.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/these-are-the-most-heavily-traded-stocks-on-wall-street-2015-05-29

So I would suggest we add the top 10 traded stocks and 2/3 indices even though they are unlikely to be traded much/if at all at first.

It would still be a unique feature that I don't think other blockchains have.

Competing with crypto-currency exchanges isn't easy because you can't deposit & withdraw your favourite altcoins, so stock derivatives are definitely a good USP.
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline btswolf

every week in the news
growing a bit every week

Thoughts?

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile

every week in the news
growing a bit every week

Thoughts?

twitter.com/bitshares

Offline mindphlux

• View Profile
I would love to support this.

Would have to decide on asset names though.

Is it AAPL, NASDAQ.AAPL, STOCKS.AAPL?
Same with GOOG. We would have to decide on one common naming scheme. I would prefer AAPL and GOOG in this example.

4 char cost 260k BTS, but this could be changed by the committee temporal while it creates the assets.
Please consider voting for my witness mindphlux.witness and my committee user mindphlux. I will not vote for changes that affect witness pay.

Offline pioneer

• View Profile
I would love to somehow provide others with the service of being able to invest in my country's stock market (there are many fast growing companies that are unavailable for foreigners to invest in easily).

I do research and invest in promising companies. Together my portfolio outperformed the rest of the market by over 20% in 2015. To be able to offer those same stocks in Bitshares, together with fundamental analysis for potential investors, would be fun.

Offline btswolf

every week in the news
growing a bit every week

Thoughts?