Author Topic: Someone Give Me a Reason To Keep Holding BTS  (Read 23131 times)

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
At this point the only reason to invest in BTS is Identabit, but even that is dubious. I love that no one mentioned that. The features aren't the problem, its the resources, connections and funding that are.
If you have sold a month ago, what is the purpose of op? It seems disingenuous. Also you make statements like the one quoted as if it were fact. I am excited about Identabit and wish the project the very best, but it has not yet launched. I find it curious that you would claim it as the only reason to invest in BTS....which has an incredibly powerful product launched, active network, existing community, active funding and is being actively developed.

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile

While I think Augur in particular could have a great deal of success, a lot of businesses building on your platform doesn't necessarily translate to increased value...

Did you invest in Augur?

Nope :( There's some REP IOUs trading on Gatecoin though which already values Augur at $20 million on $5 million raised.

I'll probably be buying but will wait for it to properly start trading though, the limited supply could be inflating the price/valuation like the small amount of pre-traded ETH IOU did.

If I remember correctly.  For most of the time IOU ethereum was less than laugh date ethereum...

http://coinmarketcap.com/historical/20150802/

No ETC (Ethercoin) traded at between $2-3 each (So ETC was valuing ETH at a CAP of $180 million)

When ETH immediately started trading it may have referenced the ETC valuation but then rapidly crashed to a lower valuation as supply hit the market.

From 160 to 80 million in 12 hours T_T

Under 50M now, still falling. 
The initial buyers were idiots, buying at 20x the IPO.

Cass the ruthless speculator did well though  :P

I just want to say ... i've investet 2 BTC --> 4000 ETH during the IPO sale last year!

And did sell them for approx. 19 BTC! So from the investment point of view ... ETH was a really good investment!
But i've also learned from BTS ... If i had sell my BTS last year when high .. it would be the same ...

With this revenue i can fund my next 3 month working for BTS/CNX ... so IMO good deal :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 11:27:27 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline topcandle

]

Can't wait for Augur to start trading on Poloniex so I can short it.

For what reason you'll short augur?  Why do you think there not legitimate?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

clout

At this point the only reason to invest in BTS is Identabit, but even that is dubious. I love that no one mentioned that. The features aren't the problem, its the resources, connections and funding that are.

Offline topcandle

While I think Augur in particular could have a great deal of success, a lot of businesses building on your platform doesn't necessarily translate to increased value...

Did you invest in Augur?

Nope :( There's some REP IOUs trading on Gatecoin though which already values Augur at $20 million on $5 million raised.

I'll probably be buying but will wait for it to properly start trading though, the limited supply could be inflating the price/valuation like the small amount of pre-traded ETH IOU did.

If I remember correctly.  For most of the time IOU ethereum was less than laugh date ethereum...
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
You can expect further abuse of shareholders, while changing the rules so frequently that no business can start much less survive... All while staying financially and intellectually centralized by CNX.  Todays whale slaying just gives more concentrated power to CNX.

But remember... this whole price drop is because of negative people on the forum who scare away investors...lol

Please give the name and date of the last unnecessary 5 rule changes (outside the batch upgrade to 2.0 which implemented all the lessons learned from the previous year).

Please give one thing CNX has done to prevent decentralization.

No concentration in power distribution, since for every seller there was a buyer.

And yes, price is a function of supply and demand and pessimistic, negative vibs on this forum can't help but cut into demand from people we refer here for the first time.  It's called negative marketing.  It's what trolls do.

The upgrade to 2.0 killed or critically damaged several companies trying to build on bts (moonstone, metaexchange says its one of the hardest API's to integrate, all the sqr and arbitrarily implemented shorting rules that smoked many shorts, improperly communicated hardforks with exchanges).  Not counting the merger which started the price crushing, in which Dan basically said 'dilute and pay a shitload for FMV otherwise i'm gone'.

BTS is centralized because CNX can push through anything it wants... It owns the majority of the witness spots via inits or CNX minions.  CNX has control over by far the largest proxies.  People are afraid Dan is going to do what he did during the merger again (via MAS) and he has the ability to do it right now.

If CNX wants bts to survive, it needs to distribute it's knowledge monopoly.  It needs to come up with features that it thinks need to be implemented, but give them to another developer to do and implement.  This will at least distribute the knowledge centralization that CNX has.

It is trivially easy to stop CNX from "pushing through anything it wants".  We can be down-voted 20 to one.  If no one does that, that's a vote of confidence in our recommendation.

All our documentation is openly available to anyone else and the contents of our engineers heads are available for consulting at any time.

Dan has made it clear that MAS is something he is doing on his own dime and offering to BTS for free.

And, yeah, we should have stayed back at BitShares 0.9 indefinitely.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

clout

So, if you sold "a month ago" does the title of this thread make you some kind of troll or just an ignoramus?

I had others invest a substantial amount in BTS early on. I sold my personal stake, because I saw more opportunity in day trading on Poloniex.  I haven't told the other investors to pull out yet, but I will be...

Have you downloaded and are you testing the android bitshares wallet? Linking to the POS with 50,000 users expected by March?

Do you know that Privacy Mode GUI development has been paid for and is under development with a defined time table, implementation expected around the end of February?

No problem with telling those people that you recommended to buy BTS to now sell because I'll be buying. Well, actually, there is an ethical problem. Perhaps you should have told those others that you brought in that you were selling before you sold out and put downward pressure on the market price.

You're not understanding the problem if you think that those promises are going to correct the market.

I sold because I have the time to explore other markets, investments and trading strategies before they do. The price didn't fall because I sold my shares...

Offline onceuponatime

So, if you sold "a month ago" does the title of this thread make you some kind of troll or just an ignoramus?

I had others invest a substantial amount in BTS early on. I sold my personal stake, because I saw more opportunity in day trading on Poloniex.  I haven't told the other investors to pull out yet, but I will be...

Have you downloaded and are you testing the android bitshares wallet? Linking to the POS with 50,000 users expected by March?

Do you know that Privacy Mode GUI development has been paid for and is under development with a defined time table, implementation expected around the end of February?

No problem with telling those people that you recommended to buy BTS to now sell because I'll be buying. Well, actually, there is an ethical problem. Perhaps you should have told those others that you brought in that you were selling before you sold out and put downward pressure on the market price.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
You can expect further abuse of shareholders, while changing the rules so frequently that no business can start much less survive... All while staying financially and intellectually centralized by CNX.  Todays whale slaying just gives more concentrated power to CNX.

But remember... this whole price drop is because of negative people on the forum who scare away investors...lol

Please give the name and date of the last unnecessary 5 rule changes (outside the batch upgrade to 2.0 which implemented all the lessons learned from the previous year).

Please give one thing CNX has done to prevent decentralization.

No concentration in power distribution, since for every seller there was a buyer.

And yes, price is a function of supply and demand and pessimistic, negative vibs on this forum can't help but cut into demand from people we refer here for the first time.  It's called negative marketing.  It's what trolls do.

The upgrade to 2.0 killed or critically damaged several companies trying to build on bts (moonstone, metaexchange says its one of the hardest API's to integrate, all the sqr and arbitrarily implemented shorting rules that smoked many shorts, improperly communicated hardforks with exchanges).  Not counting the merger which started the price crushing, in which Dan basically said 'dilute and pay a shitload for FMV otherwise i'm gone'.

BTS is centralized because CNX can push through anything it wants... It owns the majority of the witness spots via inits or CNX minions.  CNX has control over by far the largest proxies.  People are afraid Dan is going to do what he did during the merger again (via MAS) and he has the ability to do it right now.

If CNX wants bts to survive, it needs to distribute it's knowledge monopoly.  It needs to come up with features that it thinks need to be implemented, but give them to another developer to do and implement.  This will at least distribute the knowledge centralization that CNX has.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 10:20:06 pm by lil_jay890 »

clout

Did you invest in Augur?

Can't wait for Augur to start trading on Poloniex so I can short it.

clout

Dan's use case is ideological but the platform isn't.

This is a financial services platform that is not integrated with any noteworthy financial institutions. There's no utility in that, and Dan's idealism leads him to think that people and business are going to magically appear and start using Bitshares. That's symply not the case.

I honestly really started to lose confidence in this project when Dan suggested that CNX was not able to get VC funding. CNX is a blockchain development company that can't get funding in a year where the demand for industrial grade blockchains has surged. There's an issue with that picture.

TravelsAsia

And of course BitUSD isn't successful because without micropayments it never will be. People around the world and in poorer parts of the US are getting paid in what Silicon Valley developers would call micropayments. Without the ability to pay micropayments you miss the majority of payment types which take place online.

+5% all day long, all day long.

I've purchased another 70k bts today, when it drops to the 500s, I'll probably do the same.  Dan might find lightning in a bottle again down the road, so I'm willing to buy at these falling prices.  I'm more interested in the success of Peertracks, so it's important to me that Bitshares at least continues to mature.  Like with Augur, I have more faith in the value of the services using the technology than the technology value itself.

Don't buy bts because of Peertracks. That would be a terrible mistake.

I'm not. I've basically invested heavy into Peertracks and ONLY NOW buying back a little Bitshares since I have the money to speculate at these low prices. 2 different strategies, just need one of them to pay off. :) 

clout

clout

And of course BitUSD isn't successful because without micropayments it never will be. People around the world and in poorer parts of the US are getting paid in what Silicon Valley developers would call micropayments. Without the ability to pay micropayments you miss the majority of payment types which take place online.

+5% all day long, all day long.

I've purchased another 70k bts today, when it drops to the 500s, I'll probably do the same.  Dan might find lightning in a bottle again down the road, so I'm willing to buy at these falling prices.  I'm more interested in the success of Peertracks, so it's important to me that Bitshares at least continues to mature.  Like with Augur, I have more faith in the value of the services using the technology than the technology value itself.

Don't buy bts because of Peertracks. That would be a terrible mistake.

Offline onceuponatime

If you have to ask this question then maybe it's time for you to sell.

If you cannot find an objective and rational reason to hold, to stay, then perhaps you shouldn't.
I feel like bitshares is stuck between is it a platform for other businesses/developers to build on or is it an exchange company?

In either case there are design issues.  For example no way people are going to build on a platform where in order to get your app/business on you have to get people to vote for it etc.

Alternatively look at ethereum...its clearly a platform that wants others to build on top of it.  And many have already.

We all have complains and concerns. I've complained about the lack of micropayment capability as being a main hindering factor. I've complained about the lack of bonds or similar functionality as being a limiting factor. Of course there is no place to collect yield in Bitshares 2.0, so of course there are a lot less people holding in Bitshares 2.0. What did anyone expect?

Now it's time to be tough. You can either hold no matter what, even if BTS goes to  0.001 and lower, and wait the situation out, or you can sell now and get out before the next seemingly inevitable price drop. Until the exchange has bond markets, lots of unique assets, prediction markets, stealth, and we have micropayments, we can't really say Bitshares 2.0 is good enough to deserve a $100,0,000,000 marketcap or even a $50,000,000 marketcap.

Bitshares is at a low price because that is where it's current utility is. Unless more utility is built around it, it's not supposed to be priced higher than it's worth. Ethereum is actually over priced due to hype and should be $20,000,000 or less, but it's Ethereum.

Hahah i don't know why you're stuck on micropayments. That's simply not where the money is.

I sold a month or so ago when Dan made the post about vision. I realized then that this going nowhere. Dan's too much of an idealist and this project has lived and died by that ethos.

So, if you sold "a month ago" does the title you gave to this thread make you some kind of troll or just an ignoramus?