Author Topic: Someone Give Me a Reason To Keep Holding BTS  (Read 23127 times)

Offline btswolf

I`m too lazy to cash out and actually I`m just beginning to understand the system better from day to day.
Giving up now would mean I had invested a lot of my time for just taking a huge loss in money.
Maybe I`m a bullshitwolf and idiot but even if we are all a disorganized bunch of bellyacher I do like to stay side by side with most of you.
No I don`t give up, not now.

Offline Riverhead

If you have to ask this question then maybe it's time for you to sell.

If you cannot find an objective and rational reason to hold, to stay, then perhaps you shouldn't.
I feel like bitshares is stuck between is it a platform for other businesses/developers to build on or is it an exchange company?

In either case there are design issues.  For example no way people are going to build on a platform where in order to get your app/business on you have to get people to vote for it etc.

Alternatively look at ethereum...its clearly a platform that wants others to build on top of it.  And many have already.

We all have complains and concerns. I've complained about the lack of micropayment capability as being a main hindering factor. I've complained about the lack of bonds or similar functionality as being a limiting factor. Of course there is no place to collect yield in Bitshares 2.0, so of course there are a lot less people holding in Bitshares 2.0. What did anyone expect?

And of course BitUSD isn't successful because without micropayments it never will be. People around the world and in poorer parts of the US are getting paid in what Silicon Valley developers would call micropayments. Without the ability to pay micropayments you miss the majority of payment types which take place online.

Now it's time to be tough. You can either hold no matter what, even if BTS goes to  0.001 and lower, and wait the situation out, or you can sell now and get out before the next seemingly inevitable price drop. Until the exchange has bond markets, lots of unique assets, prediction markets, stealth, and we have micropayments, we can't really say Bitshares 2.0 is good enough to deserve a $100,0,000,000 marketcap or even a $50,000,000 marketcap.

Bitshares is at a low price because that is where it's current utility is. Unless more utility is built around it, it's not supposed to be priced higher than it's worth. Ethereum is actually over priced due to hype and should be $20,000,000 or less, but it's Ethereum.

Hahah i don't know why you're stuck on micropayments. That's simply not where the money is.

I sold a month or so ago when Dan made the post about vision. I realized then that this going nowhere. Dan's too much of an idealist and this project has lived and died by that ethos.
Dan's use case is ideological but the platform isn't.

clout

If you cannot find an objective and rational reason to hold, to stay, then perhaps you shouldn't.
I feel like bitshares is stuck between is it a platform for other businesses/developers to build on or is it an exchange company?

In either case there are design issues.  For example no way people are going to build on a platform where in order to get your app/business on you have to get people to vote for it etc.

Alternatively look at ethereum...its clearly a platform that wants others to build on top of it.  And many have already.

We all have complains and concerns. I've complained about the lack of micropayment capability as being a main hindering factor. I've complained about the lack of bonds or similar functionality as being a limiting factor. Of course there is no place to collect yield in Bitshares 2.0, so of course there are a lot less people holding in Bitshares 2.0. What did anyone expect?

And of course BitUSD isn't successful because without micropayments it never will be. People around the world and in poorer parts of the US are getting paid in what Silicon Valley developers would call micropayments. Without the ability to pay micropayments you miss the majority of payment types which take place online.

Now it's time to be tough. You can either hold no matter what, even if BTS goes to  0.001 and lower, and wait the situation out, or you can sell now and get out before the next seemingly inevitable price drop. Until the exchange has bond markets, lots of unique assets, prediction markets, stealth, and we have micropayments, we can't really say Bitshares 2.0 is good enough to deserve a $100,0,000,000 marketcap or even a $50,000,000 marketcap.

Bitshares is at a low price because that is where it's current utility is. Unless more utility is built around it, it's not supposed to be priced higher than it's worth. Ethereum is actually over priced due to hype and should be $20,000,000 or less, but it's Ethereum.

Hahah i don't know why you're stuck on micropayments. That's simply not where the money is.

I sold a month or so ago when Dan made the post about vision. I realized then that this going nowhere. Dan's too much of an idealist and this project has lived and died by that ethos.

jaran

For example no way people are going to build on a platform where in order to get your app/business on you have to get people to vote for it etc.

This is incorrect. The only time a business needs votes is if they require a protocol change or expect the blockchain to pay for something.

To contrast with Ethereum, which also freely allows anyone to build on top of it, there is no mechanism for shareholders to vote for features, forks, etc. A problem they are currently struggling with.

I don't mean to say one is better than the other but there is a bit of "grass is always greener" going on.

Correct, I was thinking of apps that need to run on chain as a smart contract. 

Also, I was not saying ethereum is "better" than bitshares I was saying look at the messaging / branding.  Ethereums messaging is clear.  They are a platform you can build on within its technical limitations.  Just like IOS is a platform you can build apps on within it's technical limitations.

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile

While I think Augur in particular could have a great deal of success, a lot of businesses building on your platform doesn't necessarily translate to increased value...

Did you invest in Augur?

Nope :( There's some REP IOUs trading on Gatecoin though which already values Augur at $20 million on $5 million raised.

I'll probably be buying but will wait for it to properly start trading though, the limited supply could be inflating the price/valuation like the small amount of pre-traded ETH IOU did.
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
You can expect further abuse of shareholders, while changing the rules so frequently that no business can start much less survive... All while staying financially and intellectually centralized by CNX.  Todays whale slaying just gives more concentrated power to CNX.

But remember... this whole price drop is because of negative people on the forum who scare away investors...lol

Please give the name and date of the last unnecessary 5 rule changes (outside the batch upgrade to 2.0 which implemented all the lessons learned from the previous year).

Please give one thing CNX has done to prevent decentralization.

Please explain how concentration in power occurs, since for every seller there was a buyer.

Please explain your rationale for a why pure negative marketing here will have a non-negative effect on market demand (or interest in further investigation) when newcomers come here to check us out before making their first purchase. 

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 10:13:43 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

TravelsAsia

Like with Augur, I have more faith in the value of the services using the technology than the technology value itself.

Wait your bullish on Augur?  Did you invest?  I am the only one left out?

Yes, I invested in Augur. However, I meant I'm more interested in services such as Peertracks/MUSE than BTS itself. I'm re-buying 70k-100k bts per 100 drop just because there's always a chance we hit lightning again.

Offline fuzzy

+5%

I hate to agree but it isn't necessarily a bad thing..
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
  For example no way people are going to build on a platform where in order to get your app/business on you have to get people to vote for it etc.

This is incorrect. The only time a business needs votes is if they require a protocol change or expect the blockchain to pay for something.

To contrast with Ethereum, which also freely allows anyone to build on top of it, there is not mechanism for shareholders to vote for features, forks, etc. A problem they are currently struggling with.

Ethereum practically has no users. It's entirely developers. It has no GUI last I checked. It's not able to scale effectively last I checked. The smart contract capability is not as secure as it needs to be last I checked.

Ethereum isn't really much better than Bitshares. For many things Ethereum clearly isn't better, such as decentralized exchange. For other things Ethereum is only temporarily better, such as with smart contracts, but the Ethereum smart contracts aren't implemented in the best possible way either so it's not sensible to copy their approach.

In the end Ethereum and Bitshares 2.0 are pretty much neck and neck in terms of functionality and utility. Ethereum on the other hand actually has Augur in development, actually has more apps in the pipeline, and that is the only reason there is more excitement around it. Not because Bitshares can't do the same stuff but because Ethereum is doing what we keep saying Bitshares needs to do.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline topcandle

Like with Augur, I have more faith in the value of the services using the technology than the technology value itself.

Wait your bullish on Augur?  Did you invest?  I am the only one left out?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

TravelsAsia

+5% all day long, all day long.

I've purchased another 70k bts today, when it drops to the 500s, I'll probably do the same.  Dan might find lightning in a bottle again down the road, so I'm willing to buy at these falling prices.  I'm more interested in the success of Peertracks, so it's important to me that Bitshares at least continues to mature.  Like with Augur, I have more faith in the value of the services using the technology than the technology value itself.

Offline Riverhead

To contrast with Ethereum, which also freely allows anyone to build on top of it, there is no mechanism for shareholders to vote for features, forks, etc. A problem they are currently struggling with.

I don't mean to say one is better than the other but there is a bit of "grass is always greener" going on.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 09:49:38 pm by Riverhead »

Offline topcandle

While I think Augur in particular could have a great deal of success, a lot of businesses building on your platform doesn't necessarily translate to increased value...

Did you invest in Augur?

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 09:47:27 pm by luckybit »

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
But remember... this whole price drop is because of negative people on the forum who scare away investors...lol

That always make me laugh  :D

Seems like China's attempt at addressing that same false issue on their stock market has failed too, go figure  :)

Yeah Ethereum seems to often be better suited to that task, also it seems easier to develop on it (Vs. needing to understand Graphene/Go through CNX.)

Look at the amount of businesses on NXT, XCP & MSC (17 of top 20) and their combined valuations http://coinmarketcap.com/assets/
BitShares still has a long way to go before it catches up/overtakes the existing market leaders in this area.
Worse, even when it does...  XCP + NXT + MSC = < $10 million

Personally I think if you want to make money on a decentralized blockchain you have to focus on offering products & services that benefit from privacy, transparency, may be restricted in certain jurisdictions and can mostly be coded.

So I guess a reason to keep holding is that even if it's not the core focus, BTS is a great platform for some of those products and services which will be added over time.

In terms of easiest way for BTS to increase market value, profit & adoption right now...

1. Crypto-currency               (Remove dilution & commit to being sound money - highly unlikely.)
2. Gambling                          (Blockchain based Dice)
3. Liquid Smartcoins           (Liquidity incentives & lower fees)
4. DEX features                    (Bond Market)
5. Sports Betting                 (Prediction Market)
6. Blue Chip Stocks            (Derivatives of world's most popular stocks.)
7. STEALTH                          (More valuable when you have a popular product any of 1-5 above to apply STEALTH too.)
8. Referral Programme      (Need sellable product for referral programme to work.)
9. UIA's                                 (Counterparty and NXT currently dominate UIA's and demonstrate they don't add significantly to market value)

I take an interest in the project still but besides my mostly unclaimed AGS allocation which is actually a reasonable size, I haven't been additionally invested in BTS for while.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 09:43:30 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats