Author Topic: Someone Give Me a Reason To Keep Holding BTS  (Read 22985 times)

Offline fuzzy

What other crypto can give their shareholders access to:

Means of profit - as a shareholder you get a share of the profits

A store of value - if you think the value of BTS is going to go down, why sell shares when you can buy BTC USD EUR SILVER GOLD ..

Short - if you think the value of BTS is going to go up, why sell shares when you can borrow and sell BTC USD EUR SILVER GOLD ... and buy back at a profit without reducing your shareholdings in BTS

Did I mention, this can all be done internally without the need to trust any external exchanges. I have been exclusively trading on our exchange since the first bridges appeared (metaexchange and blocktrades). Now we have even more bridges in our wallet.

There are winners and losers to every trade.

Buy, sell or hold - All BitShares share holders can still profit using the light wallet or Openledger

well one thing i know is that we are one of the only projects out there with the sharebot or anything even similar.  if we could make it so people can send gateway versions of their coins (like OPENBTC, OPENLTC...ETC.), we can make it possible to being all cryptos here not only to be traded, but passed around to networks using twitter, reddit...and anywhere irls can be shared
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

iHashFury

What other crypto can give their shareholders access to:

Means of profit - as a shareholder you get a share of the profits

A store of value - if you think the value of BTS is going to go down, why sell shares when you can buy BTC USD EUR SILVER GOLD ..

Short - if you think the value of BTS is going to go up, why sell shares when you can borrow and sell BTC USD EUR SILVER GOLD ... and buy back at a profit without reducing your shareholdings in BTS

Did I mention, this can all be done internally without the need to trust any external exchanges. I have been exclusively trading on our exchange since the first bridges appeared (metaexchange and blocktrades). Now we have even more bridges in our wallet.

There are winners and losers to every trade.

Buy, sell or hold - All BitShares share holders can still profit using the light wallet or Openledger

Offline sittingduck

• View Profile
Bm isn't good at networking and is overly transparent.  Those companies that get investment have connections.   You can't license block chain tech. It is all going to be open source.  That leaves CNX to be little more than contractors for hire.   Bm has a bigger vision than that. 

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
what happened to that guy who was going to do his best to get into Philippine remittance market?there were pics all around the forum celebrating with mr Bytemaster and rest of his crew.
what was his name?

identabit.com
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline neo1344

• View Profile
what happened to that guy who was going to do his best to get into Philippine remittance market?there were pics all around the forum celebrating with mr Bytemaster and rest of his crew.
what was his name?

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
So there was a hangout today.

Did you listen?

I missed it. Anything good?

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

So there was a hangout today.

Did you listen?

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline wallace

• View Profile
if a thing you think it has kinds of values normally it has no value. the problem is we need to catch the key points and just focus on it to make it happen.

if we want to be the unique blockchain based bank in the world to protect the peoples money we just focus on it first.
if we want to be the greatest exchanges in the world we just focus on it first.
if we want to be the most benefit blockchain based refrel system in the world we just focus on it first.

currently it seems we have a lot of useful features, but actually we have none of them.
give me money, I will do...

Offline yvv

• View Profile
Someone Give Me a Reason To Keep Holding BTS

You shouldn't hold it unless you want to borrow bitAsset. It is a collateral token, nothing more.

This is not true, and if it were true there would be no reason to hold BTS.

BTS also represents a share in the value of profit made from services provided by the Bitshares blockchain, such as exchange, transfers, etc.  Currently this profit doesnt exist because its speculative phase, but if it reached enough adoption to generate a profit, this profit would go to BTS holders by a dividend in the form of a reduction in the BTS supply, and thus an increase in the value of each individual BTS.

That's not true. BTS does not give you a share in earnings. Burning BTS is not the same as distributing it. It's just not.

I think the question is whether reducing supply of something that is in demand, increases the price.

In general I think it does, supply and demand, so reducing supply acts as some form of return for holders imo though you could argue it is inferior.

What about reducing the supply of something that is not in demand?

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
Someone Give Me a Reason To Keep Holding BTS

You shouldn't hold it unless you want to borrow bitAsset. It is a collateral token, nothing more.

This is not true, and if it were true there would be no reason to hold BTS.

BTS also represents a share in the value of profit made from services provided by the Bitshares blockchain, such as exchange, transfers, etc.  Currently this profit doesnt exist because its speculative phase, but if it reached enough adoption to generate a profit, this profit would go to BTS holders by a dividend in the form of a reduction in the BTS supply, and thus an increase in the value of each individual BTS.

That's not true. BTS does not give you a share in earnings. Burning BTS is not the same as distributing it. It's just not.

I think the question is whether reducing supply of something that is in demand, increases the price.

In general I think it does, supply and demand, so reducing supply acts as some form of return for holders imo though you could argue it is inferior.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 04:04:28 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
While Clout explained that he is a custodian for other investors, I still think he got caught out a bit titling a thread 'Give me a reason to keep holding BTS' and then revealing later that he sold his personal position over a month ago  :)

What I do think is interesting is that a lot of people are making the argument that forum negativity is a key reason BTS is struggling to gain momentum. I counter that here https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,20913.msg270908.html#msg270908

But Clout also brings up a good point.

I honestly really started to lose confidence in this project when Dan suggested that CNX was not able to get VC funding. CNX is a blockchain development company that can't get funding in a year where the demand for industrial grade blockchains has surged. There's an issue with that picture.

If a big part of the problem is the attitude of some BTS shareholders, forum posters & difficulty bringing on new investors then why is CNX who have the same talent without those problems not exploding in market value & receiving millions in VC investments given that private blockchain investments have surged? http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/02/technology/bitcoin-1-billion-invested/

It's also pity that BTS DAC gave up being a currency but still doesn't seem to have a product or service that would make a compelling addition to BAAS which has recently added Ethereum, Emercoin, Ripple, Factom among others... https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/blog/azure-blockchain-as-a-service-update-3/

So personally I don't think if BTS was more of an echo chamber or just generally more positive and supportive when shareholders didn't believe that was warranted would make BTS more successful.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 04:08:32 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
The truth is that people keep leaving this project and this community for a reason and its not the BTS price.

Balderdash. It certainly is the price that is generating the anxiety and frustration. Dan is a convenient scape-goat. That's not to say he's infallible, but who is?

It's so easy to look for someone to blame, the truth is BitShares needs more work and the means of growing the network needs some further adjustments.

Did we all think we were going to be rich within a couple of years.....is that it? And it looks like a great deal more work is required so it tantrums instead of facing facts and getting on with it?

There are many who exemplify the attitude that will bring the results....it should be obvious who they are.  Let's try to unify behind their efforts or try something ourselves. If someone is struggling, let's not accuse them and hang them out to dry, let's ask if we can help. If someone fails, well that's life, let's learn from it and move on with the next effort.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 03:21:50 pm by Ben Mason »

clout

I don't know why I expected this project to be further along. Maybe I thought it was an actual business that was being cultivated, but I realize now that is not the case. It doesn't matter what the underlying software can do or not, CNX can't get funding, they can't produce a competitive exchange and don't know the market they are entering into. Bitshares, if looked at as a company, can't be run by a community of individuals that do not know or entirely trust each other. I don't have the answers for how to turn things around, but I see the same mistakes continually being made and I don't have a reason to stay anymore.
Complaining is easy, but if you put things in the right perspective you might have the reason to hold. You might not actually know how hard it is to bring something completely new to market and create a profitable business. Here are some brilliant people working and trying to make something sustainable and profitable, and it's still way too early to tell which crypto's will succeed in the end. No cryptocurrency is actually used (arguably) in the real world yet, other than for speculation, so there is no reason to be upset if bitshares isn't. When bitshares succeeds, you will make a profit too -by just holding. You could listen to the hangouts and Beyond Bitcoin and notice how smart the people working for you are.
I my eyes the best things about bitshares are 1) It has the most sustainable long-term funding/incentive model of any crypto-project and 2) It has the most impressive technology. What a combination actually! Just think about NXT. What will be the long term incentive to keep developing the platform once the major stakeholders have made all the profit they can? Now it might seem good, but it will be interesting to see where it goes when it gets harder to make profit. The long-term funding model of Ethereum isn't clear either. They actually just hope for the best, like bitcoin. Bitshares has an actual plan.
One more reason to hold bitshares is to concieve some business that utilizes cryptocurrencies. If I was to create a business today, which needed a cryptocurrency, I would try to implement it on bitshares first because it is the most efficient (cheapest, quickest), it has an internal exchange (broader market, less risk), and it has a long term plan (less risk again). Those are three crucial elements, which set bitshares apart from most other crypto's.

Thank you for actually taking a stab at answering my question.

I agree that if I ever wanted to do anything that required a cryptocurrency, I would use bitshares. I'll probably get back into when that time comes. At the moment however I see this forum going the way of bitcointalk. I think that the devs have done a remarkable job creating a innovative solution for financial services. I just don't have any faith in their ability to establish and most importantly maintain the necessary connections to give this platform actual utility.

I have heard many people complain about Dan for a variety of reasons and I did not heed their warnings because I felt he was genuine and highly intelligent (all of which I still believe). The truth is that people keep leaving this project and this community for a reason and its not the BTS price.

clout

A currency lives and dies on micropayments. Micropayments are the only reason people will adopt cryptocurrency at all. It's not like people aren't already getting paid in their local currencies so why would they care about BitUSD or BitCNY or any of these strange niche currencies that can't even do micropayments?

On the other hand once they can do micropayments and people gain some experience with them, the size of the community grows. Even if it grows bottom up, from the poorest on up, it's still able to grow. While now it's not growing very much because only rich people are being targeted and expected to buy BTS without anything they can do with it.

If there is no yield you shouldn't expect to attract rich people to hold anything.

Whatever you say...