Author Topic: Connecting the dots  (Read 8542 times)

TravelsAsia

Atm people think "Who the hell is BitShares coming here all of a sudden trying to overcome Bitcoin", instead they need to think "Wow I can actually use BitShares smartcoins to increase my Bitcoin holdings"

Yes! Once we start providing services that make it even easier for Bitcoin holders to leverage their wealth, the better.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado

I wonder why we always get overlooked in the Bitcoin media, despite being in the top 10 and top 4 coins for the longest time. Why is that? POS or something else?

I feel like we're the red headed step child. Answer that and we might get some traction

the founders of this project called bitcoin a failing business and will eventually dead . And even some of us follow the lead and does that .
what do you expect from those bitcoin people .

Maybe now is a prime opportunity for some PR considering we've been pushing this view for quite some time. With all of the Mike Hearne drama, maybe we can get some major media outlet to show us a little love?

Or maybe it's time to make people change their idea about us and not seeing as an opponent but a complement instead.

Instead of going "Bitcoin is a long term failure, BItShares is better, use BitShares" type of arguments (that's how people see it), go "Use our smartcoins to hedge against Bitcoin volatility in order to make more profit when you go back to BTC" or something of the type. People only need to see us as a complement, hell, even a stepping stone to achieve profits, as long as they use us. That's all that matters. It's not in our best interest to pass the idea we're a competing chain which is what everyone thinks.

Maybe even getting something like that on our page would make people start to change their minds and realize we're here to help Bitcoiners, not compete with them and "steal" their profits @cass

I think a simple phrase sharing that idea would go a long way and start to change people's perception of BitShares.

Atm people think "Who the hell is BitShares coming here all of a sudden trying to overcome Bitcoin", instead they need to think "Wow I can actually use BitShares smartcoins to increase my Bitcoin holdings"
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline CoinHoarder

• In Cryptocoins I Trust
    • View Profile

I wonder why we always get overlooked in the Bitcoin media, despite being in the top 10 and top 4 coins for the longest time. Why is that? POS or something else?

I feel like we're the red headed step child. Answer that and we might get some traction

the founders of this project called bitcoin a failing business and will eventually dead . And even some of us follow the lead and does that .

Maybe now is a prime opportunity for some PR considering we've been pushing this view for quite some time. With all of the Mike Hearne drama, maybe we can get some major media outlet to show us a little love?
https://www.decentralized.tech/ -> Market Data, Portfolios, Information, Links, Reviews, Forums, Blogs, Etc.
https://www.cryptohun.ch/ -> Tradable Blockchain Asset PvP Card Game

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile

这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline fuzzy

our community is seen as a hostile community to outsiders.

- we think we are superior to all the other projects (at least the outside thinks this about us)

We are the least connected community if you think about how often we are mentioned and talked about us.

in converences their are no people invited to talk with other communities about the challanges crypto sees. So when should
new blood coming into bitshares?

everyone should get up and doing something!

well i keep telling everyone we can get people to try bitshares simply by making their own tokens, putting in a small buy order for bts and then let them sell them in under 3 seconds...

I am not the only one already doing it (reaching out in ways few other cryptos can)..and it gets peoples attention. 

You can only lead a horse to water (er.... www.sharebits.io) though.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
our community is seen as a hostile community to outsiders.

- we think we are superior to all the other projects (at least the outside thinks this about us)

We are the least connected community if you think about how often we are mentioned and talked about us.

in converences their are no people invited to talk with other communities about the challanges crypto sees. So when should
new blood coming into bitshares?

everyone should get up and doing something!

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
This pump and liquidity is a good chance for the fee pool to be used for the creation of assets. Couldn't it help tighten the peg?

The issue here is the slow moving nature of the committee account.  Even if we were able to get 51% of the committee online at the same time, there is a minimum 1 hour review period on all committee actions. 

Realistically speaking if I were to create a proposal to sell the bittassets that we have collected from the fee pool, I would need to set the expiration at at least 12 hours.  This is not exactly real time, and we would have to be careful about what the price was when the proposal expired, so we didn't accidentally end up dumping under the feed.

The same issue comes up if we need to cancel an order.  If we set a sell wall, and then the price changes, we are powerless to cancel our sell wall for at least 1 hour.

To help combat this I have created a separate account committee-trade.  This account is owned by the committee account and has active key multi-sig.  Currently it is a 2 of 4 scheme with bhuz (the only volunteer), myself,  Xeroc, and abit (since I didn't think they would mind).  If you are good with the CLI and would like to be added please let us know. 

This is not endorsed by the committee yet.  I have started this in motion in an attempt to spur something.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile

Back in 2014 on the back of BTSX and BitAssets, BitShares was mentioned fairly frequently.

Daniel was also invited to and did speak at a couple of Bitcoin conferences I think.

BM was even given an honourable mention as essentially one of the top 15 most influential people in Bitcoin in 2014.
http://www.coindesk.com/10-influential-people-bitcoin-year/

The merger put a lot of those theories into practice which haven't produced the results they were expecting/hoping for yet but if they do, or if we can get SmartCoins tightly pegged,  I think more people will take notice again.

We could fix the spread on smart coins right now.  We lack the will, not the ability.

The question is how to fix them in a sustainable, cost effective way.

I agree.  What I propose would be a bootstrap not a long term fix.  I think we need to do something in the short term though.

I agree. A short term solution would be good.

I'm not a fan of Maker though as I think that is also a short term solution that doesn't address the underlying problem and will cost BTS lots of future trading fees. 

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 06:49:45 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline puppies

• View Profile
We could fix the spread on smart coins right now.  We lack the will, not the ability.

I agree.  What I propose would be a bootstrap not a long term fix.  I think we need to do something in the short term though.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
This pump and liquidity is a good chance for the fee pool to be used for the creation of assets. Couldn't it help tighten the peg?

Offline mike623317

• View Profile

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile

If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline puppies

• View Profile

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
You need to  think bigger, Pinky.

The SmartCoin product works best in a system where demand is reliably growing for other reasons.  That's why we are now emphasizing the addition of those other reasons.

From Wikipedia:

A ramjet is a form of airbreathing jet engine that uses the engine's forward motion to compress incoming air without an axial compressor. Ramjets cannot produce thrust at zero airspeed; they cannot move an aircraft from a standstill. A ramjet-powered vehicle, therefore, requires an assisted take-off like a rocket assist to accelerate it to a speed where it begins to produce thrust.

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
The smart coin design is contingent on people speculate on the rise of BitShares ..

And BM always said : speculators are just people who want to dump their shares at higher price . They don't contribute to the system like the developers do . They contribute "nothing" compare to the developers .

Here we are . A smart coin system whose core is totally based on the theory of a speculative market , and the builder himself think speculating on the price of bitshares has no meaning . And he think as long as they can keep develop , no matter the ungreatful speculators keep leaving , users will come , the system will be good . But how on earth could we provide a product to the customers when our product relies on people positively on the short term return of BTS ?
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.