Author Topic: Exchanges Market Valuation  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
I would take trading fee (.01 for poloniex) and multiply that by their total dollars traded per year.  That should give you their expected revenue on trading.  Then you would need to estimate withdrawals.  As a blind guess I would say that there is 1 withdrawal for every 100 trades with the withdrawal value being equal to 1 trade.  This should give you an estimate for revenue from withdrawals.

You also need to subtract operational costs:  I'm going to venture a guess that poloniex costs $500k-$1mil a year to run.

Here's my back of the napkin for poloniex:

$1,500,000 in transactions per day *.01 = $15,000/day trading revenue
$15,000 in withdrawals per day *.01 = $150/day withdrawal revenue
-$2740/day in operating costs (Guessing it costs $1million a year to operate)

Grand profit total: $12,410 per day =  $4,529,650/year

,Give it a standard stock multiple of 15x earnings and that gives poloniex a valuation of about $68,000,000

(Remember multiples can vary wildly based on growth rates or news flashes)

Wow that's.. a lot!

I was just curious following the thought of BitShares actually owning businesses. Would that even be possible? Imagine we are successful and we could in theory buy an exchange for sale that already has a large amount of users, just to have that user base.

I assume with a worker proposal that could be done, of course BitShares value would need to be ridiculously high. Even though, assuming that is true, the committee account would then pay whoever decides to sell their business. BitShares now has increased their userbase. The question is, who would manage it. Would shareholders receive a portion of its profits similar to how OpenLedger does?

A decentralized entity would own a centralized one that needs to be operated. I mean, objective is to have businesses running on top of BitShares, sure, but what if we wanted to acquire a large user base? What if that opportunity ever comes? The buy could be done but who would manage it? I guess BitShares would then have to pay for someone to "decentralized" that exchange and get it running on top of it? But what about the exchange's website. Imagine it's polo. It still needs to be taken care of. It doesn't run by itself. Would shareholders need to pay for someone to handle it? I think that would be it.

Just brainstorming. To do that BitShares would already be ridiculously valuable so probably no need to acquire businesses that way, business owners using BitShares platform could do that itself. I was just wondering in the remote possibility, just speculating, what if a chance like that happened and we would gain because it had a large amount of users? That way BitShares' user base would increase plus it could share the profits from that acquired exchange or business with its shareholders, creating another revenue stream and adding more value to BitShares in the long run... Would this even make sense? Assume it would be a 1 in a million deal of course, that we could actually benefit from. How would shareholders manage it? Pay for someone else to run it for them in exchange of a bigger cut on the profits? I think that would make sense.

BitShares acquires business A
Shareholder volunteers to run it and gets paid a bigger percentage of profits (imagine 20 or 40%) while the rest of the shareholders get the rest.
Committee would handle the payment each month? Assume the person who runs it goes rogue. The payment needs to be done continuously and not in a single 1 time. For example there shouldn't be issued any shares for that person because he could just steal the. Maybe via smartcontracts? Where for example every 2 weeks if the committee agreed upon that person doing his job, would get that % of profits?

This might seem completely random but I like to brainstorm on every possibility we could exploit
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
I would take trading fee (.01 for poloniex) and multiply that by their total dollars traded per year.  That should give you their expected revenue on trading.  Then you would need to estimate withdrawals.  As a blind guess I would say that there is 1 withdrawal for every 100 trades with the withdrawal value being equal to 1 trade.  This should give you an estimate for revenue from withdrawals.

You also need to subtract operational costs:  I'm going to venture a guess that poloniex costs $500k-$1mil a year to run.

Here's my back of the napkin for poloniex:

$1,500,000 in transactions per day *.01 = $15,000/day trading revenue
$15,000 in withdrawals per day *.01 = $150/day withdrawal revenue
-$2740/day in operating costs (Guessing it costs $1million a year to operate)

Grand profit total: $12,410 per day =  $4,529,650/year

,Give it a standard stock multiple of 15x earnings and that gives poloniex a valuation of about $68,000,000

(Remember multiples can vary wildly based on growth rates or news flashes)

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
At how much would you value exchanges? Are there any ways to calculate that with any info we might have publicly available? If there are none, how would you value them based on their average 24h Volume (with the exception of zero fees exchanges) and number of users? Do we even know the number of users per exchange?

There are multiple factors but any formula you would suggest? Mainly based on volume since that's pretty much what we know.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads