Author Topic: When will the first business make BTS it's backbone?  (Read 5413 times)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Serious projects are not going to talk about them on this forum.

They maybe getting underway with dev now or have been developing.

You really won't know anything about it until the time comes to vote for them.

I think given the launch time and everything else that transpired so close to the holidays some got put on hold until now.

It takes at least a month to develop an MVP of pretty much anything and the general consensus is that if a good programmer spent two weeks really studying and working with graphene they could pick it up and would also get all the support they need from CNX along the way.

So while I understand the frustration.. 3 months from the launch of the 2.0 MVP really is not a whole lot of time for anything to happen.

I will admit though that we are behind schedule on some things that we plan to deliver on the platform that have nothing to do with the current core offering of 2.0, while others will compliment it.

Don't forget.. Private Transactions are coming pretty soon!

When there are so many options for a "good coder" to dive into, why would they come to bitshares?  Why wouldn't they just go to ethereum, work with an existing exchange, or start their own thing with bitcoin or any of the other alts worth more than bts?    I don't see what advantage BTS has over any of these options...

Wouldn't the best plan of action be for CNX to layout a profitable business idea, and let a new coder or business guy run with it?  Wouldn't this show the world that people other than CNX can make money on this chain?  I know i'll get the answer "CNX should be the ones monetizing their ideas", but wouldn't offering just 1 small project up be miniscule in risk but great in reward?

There is no fresh blood in BTS... most of the guys still doing work have been around since well before 2.0 ever launched and that group gets smaller by the week.

Good questions.

You choose BitShares rather than starting your own chain because 90% of the work is already done for you and you want pre-existing network effect and low friction economic interactions with other businesses.
You choose BitShares rather than Ethereum if you need performance more than flexibility.
You choose BitShares in addition to Ethereum because you don't want someone else to do that for you.
You choose BitShares over existing exchanges because you want to own your idea, not work for someone else.

This forum is full of great ideas, some of ours and some of others - just waiting for some entrepreneur to pick one up and go.  CNX is picking its own best bets and encouraging others to do the same.

There are built in mechanisms for raising funds by referrals and RBAs - supporting almost any business model.

I get contacts from new blood almost every week.  Most don't want to give their ideas away before they have a MVP to show the world.  Raising funds and working on a product takes time and many fall away before finishing.

But there are still those making steady progress.

So don't assume lack of smoke means there is no fire.
It's just that most entrepreneurs familiar with this forum no longer want to risk being accused of blowing smoke.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 04:28:36 am by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

And what would be the levers of control to be used by those you hired?  You're not making sense.
Just brainstorming. I'm not satisfied with the current pace of progress.

The current elected committee would retain all power and would "hire" a business development team, including a CEO if that were agreed upon as a useful addition. I would see the elected committee functioning like a Board of Directors, every day-to-day contractor reporting to them. They already have been voting on proposals from the development side.

Keep that. But recognize that aside from Stan and a few people who help out, there is really no one working on making this a sustainable business. I think we've seriously neglected the business aspect. So create a pool of money, donated if that's the only way to raise it (or create another UIA -- same thing), from which we could offer heavily incentive-laden deals to some contractors who can help us add businesses and/or increase market cap. At present market cap (if I am not mistaken), even the development is not sustainable. We need to grow this thing if we want it to work.

Again, all would be under control of the current elected committee. And nothing would occur without voting approval.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 04:19:01 am by donkeypong »

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

I think given the launch time and everything else that transpired so close to the holidays some got put on hold until now.

It takes at least a month to develop an MVP of pretty much anything and the general consensus is that if a good programmer spent two weeks really studying and working with graphene they could pick it up and would also get all the support they need from CNX along the way.

So while I understand the frustration.. 3 months from the launch of the 2.0 MVP really is not a whole lot of time for anything to happen.

I will admit though that we are behind schedule on some things that we plan to deliver on the platform that have nothing to do with the current core offering of 2.0, while others will compliment it.

When there are so many options for a "good coder" to dive into, why would they come to bitshares?  Why wouldn't they just go to ethereum, work with an existing exchange, or start their own thing with bitcoin or any of the other alts worth more than bts?    I don't see what advantage BTS has over any of these options...

Wouldn't the best plan of action be for CNX to layout a profitable business idea, and let a new coder or business guy run with it?  Wouldn't this show the world that people other than CNX can make money on this chain?  I know i'll get the answer "CNX should be the ones monetizing their ideas", but wouldn't offering just 1 small project up be miniscule in risk but great in reward?

There is no fresh blood in BTS... most of the guys still doing work have been around since well before 2.0 ever launched and that group gets smaller by the week.

Are you kidding?

A developer is a developer.. they need a lead or a business partner with the vision and business know how to get other things done to make something viable. Advantages? If you think developing for iPhone version 1 is the better way to go. Go nuts. Whatever you have missed/dismissed in what appears to be a very jaded outlook.. we are still at the leading edge of blockchain development.

This forum is littered with TONS of ideas. You have even complained about how BM is too transparent about his ideas. Anybody could grab hold of one and run with it. They already declared their own plan of action. MAS.

I already said any serious development isn't talking about it in this forum. Just because you don't see it right now, doesn't mean it isn't there. I know that sounds cliche but it's true in this case. Give it a little time for things to emerge.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline onceuponatime

Honestly, I wonder if we should all donate x% of our BTS and see if we can hire ourselves a CEO and Business Development team. The Decentralized concept is great, but it seems like at any one time, we're either growing incrementally or just flailing in the wind, hoping our sails catch the breeze. When any business does come along that wants to create a project, all it does is further drain the precious savings of this community to try and bootstrap something that ends up with limited volume.

I would donate a healthy percentage of my BTS to hire some businesspeople to run this thing.

And what would be the levers of control to be used by those you hired?  You're not making sense.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Honestly, I wonder if we should all donate x% of our BTS and see if we can hire ourselves a CEO and Business Development team. The Decentralized concept is great, but it seems like at any one time, we're either growing incrementally or just flailing in the wind, hoping our sails catch the breeze. When any business does come along that wants to create a project, all it does is further drain the precious savings of this community to try and bootstrap something that ends up with limited volume.

I would donate a healthy percentage of my BTS to hire some businesspeople to run this thing.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 03:21:24 am by donkeypong »

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi
I agree with you
thanks to the dev, we have got a so great plat
But I think we should have a rest for develop the new features.
It's time for us to focus on business and application based on BTS now.
show the world the real worth of BTS now.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
It is one of our core goals to promote the use of feed backed assets like bitUSD, bitEUR and there like for our POS systems. These assets are backed by BTS and will drive the price of BTS in the long term.

In my point of view is BitShares struggling to sell its core features to potential investors since we constantly develop and add new features without marketing the existing ones.
I am looking forward to other companies and individuals to promote our existing system and use the features we have today. Any YouTube how to guide, blog post or small website helps. I think stabile crypto currencies are our core achievements!

Why not build more apps? Why not reach out to exchanges and promote our IT System. Ken and I were talking about meetup groups the last meetings.

They are another great way to spread the word and raise awareness of BitShares. Also going to Bitcoin meetings and talk about current issues is a lot of fun and will raise some interst. Try it!

From what I have read, a lot of features are almost ready to use.  The problem is they are being held back by one little thing (API, no GUI support, other things i'm not thinking of).  Wouldn't it make sense to finish just 1 of these and properly document it?  Maybe even give an example business plan of how it could be monetized?

I like what Solomon is doing with the Hollywood thing, but that seems really big and really a long way off.  It also doesn't seem very centric to bitshares.  It seems like it could be done with fiat or btc or any other form of exchange.  Isn't there something simple and profitable that one of the members can create?  I just don't see how you can use bitshares to make any money that you wouldn't be able to do with fiat...

I'm a novice at coding, but have been working my way through codeacademy and diving into javascript text books.  I've finished 4 tracks (javascript, html CSS, jquery, build a website) but am still lost on what kind of profitable business can be built on the bitshares chain.

Right now it seems like the only ones making any money with bitshares are the dev's by coding new features via worker proposals when people don't even know how to use the ones that are already there.

Offline Chris4210

• Keep Building!
    • View Profile
    • www.payger.com
  • BitShares: chris4210
It is one of our core goals to promote the use of feed backed assets like bitUSD, bitEUR and there like for our POS systems. These assets are backed by BTS and will drive the price of BTS in the long term.

In my point of view is BitShares struggling to sell its core features to potential investors since we constantly develop and add new features without marketing the existing ones.
I am looking forward to other companies and individuals to promote our existing system and use the features we have today. Any YouTube how to guide, blog post or small website helps. I think stabile crypto currencies are our core achievements!

Why not build more apps? Why not reach out to exchanges and promote our IT System. Ken and I were talking about meetup groups the last meetings.

They are another great way to spread the word and raise awareness of BitShares. Also going to Bitcoin meetings and talk about current issues is a lot of fun and will raise some interst. Try it!
Vote Chris4210 for Committee Member http://bit.ly/1WKC03B! | www.Payger.com - Payments + Messenger | www.BitShareshub.io - Community based fanpage for the BitShares Blockchain

Offline Xypher

• View Profile
Kuro and hybridd have been working on something.. working on something..working on something... :)

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
Seems metaexchange could be the one to achieve it first, if there is a solution for the fees issue
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
We have been frequently told that BTS is this great platform to build business's on, but so far we havn't seen any examples of that.  Yes there is Muse, but that hasn't launched and it's a separate chain.  Same thing with identabit.  We were told CCEDK would utilize bts for their back end, but that also hasn't happened.

I know it's only been 3 months since launch, but why have we not seen 1 implementation yet?  We've seen announcements, but those either failed or have gone dark.  If this platform was so great, wouldn't CNX find way to use BTS in a more integral way, other than using worker proposals to aquire funding?

OPENPOS is probably the closest we have gotten to something exclusively using BTS, but even that isn't using BTS as it's "backbone".

When we had 1.0, DACX was planning on using bts as it's backbone.  There was talk of overstock as well.  We were talking of using the raised funds to create/buy a credit union.  We have heard nothing close to this with 2.0 and i'm wondering why.