Author Topic: Is Bitshares attempting to get on Microsoft Azure?  (Read 34110 times)

Offline Fox

I am in contact with Microsoft on their Azure Blockchain as a Service (BaaS) offering.  My intention is to create a deployment template for a Witness Node & CLI Wallet on Unbuntu 14.04 LTS.  Thereafter, I intend to investigate creating a template for the UI and also a template for Windows instances.

I'll post a link here once the templates are accepted into BaaS.

Please review the Microsoft BaaS blog posts:
https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/author/marleyg/
Witness: fox

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
If I don't see any movement on this in the coming month I promise you we will head this up and be the lead to ensure that we can be available on the Azure BaaS.

At present we are tied up with other things atm and this would require a great deal of attention money and time to execute.

I think it will be worth the effort though.

@BunkerChain Labs Will you really look into this?

I am in the midst of a Bitshares project that can segue into working on this rather well in a few weeks time. We will see what we can arrange then.

At this present moment though my time is totally dominated by seeing that project through. As fuzzy mentioned the committee stuff just eats up time too. Hopefully this latest round for community review will give us a bit of a breather.

Nice, will bump this again in March then
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

If I don't see any movement on this in the coming month I promise you we will head this up and be the lead to ensure that we can be available on the Azure BaaS.

At present we are tied up with other things atm and this would require a great deal of attention money and time to execute.

I am in the midst of a Bitshares project that can segue into working on this rather well in a few weeks time. We will see what we can arrange then.

At this present moment though my time is totally dominated by seeing that project through. As fuzzy mentioned the committee stuff just eats up time too. Hopefully this latest round for community review will give us a bit of a breather.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Akado

• View Profile

He is busy with committee stuff these days I am sure--which is pretty much a full time job in and of itself from what I see in their discussions. 

As far as Azure goes, I have some leads I am working on with Ronny.  Nothing else to say yet though so I am giving what I have at this juncture with no promises other than "I am actively looking into our options and opportunities".

@fuzzy those leads might actually lead us somewhere  :P

http://www.coindesk.com/microsoft-blockchain-azure-marley-gray/

"We want, and frankly our customers want, access to every blockchain. It could be two guys in a garage that forked bitcoin and had this genius idea and people want to try that out. We don’t want to have any barriers. We’re open to all. We help even the smallest of players onboard."
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline konelectric

« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 11:58:33 pm by konelectric »
Tweeter: Konelectric. Steemit: Konelectric. Youtube: Patrick Konshak. Success Council: Yourship. Mumble: Yourship or Konelectric.

Offline fuzzy

He is busy with committee stuff these days I am sure--which is pretty much a full time job in and of itself from what I see in their discussions. 

As far as Azure goes, I have some leads I am working on with Ronny.  Nothing else to say yet though so I am giving what I have at this juncture with no promises other than "I am actively looking into our options and opportunities". 
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Akado

• View Profile

Offline fuzzy

I saw Max during Websummit and AFAIK, he is still very much active behind the scene, though I would appreciate an update from him personally and would love to see some more videos @bitmarket

max is rocking it behind the scenes im confident. 

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I saw Max during Websummit and AFAIK, he is still very much active behind the scene, though I would appreciate an update from him personally and would love to see some more videos @bitmarket

jakub

Welcome to BitShares, here is your new desk.  Nevermind the fact that it has the name Brian Page carved into it.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind having Brian and his budget now that there's a product he could actually sell.

And Max Wright doing youtube videos!

Right, what happened to Max Wright?
Last time I heard him say he still waited till the GUI was stable.
It's quite nice & stable now IMO.

Offline onceuponatime

Welcome to BitShares, here is your new desk.  Nevermind the fact that it has the name Brian Page carved into it.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind having Brian and his budget now that there's a product he could actually sell.

And Max Wright doing youtube videos!

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Offline fuzzy

Yep.  He gave us a list of selling points we could already have been using.  A great asset compared to us complaining.  Thank you @Empirical1.2.  I know it gets tough sometimes but any of us who got into this thinking it would be easy should have never got in in the first place. We are going to keep going and with people doing valuable things like this we have more we can use. 

Now I still have to admit, however.  I am at a loss how you can compile a list like this yet still honestly say we have nothing we can approach others with...I mean you just basically made all your earlier points in this thread rrelevant with this post (which is respectable actually if you already know it and made a choice to fight the low marketcap demons) :D

+5% Thanks

Well my earliers statements were because nearly everything on that list requires SmartCoins to be more tightly pegged. SmartCoin to Fiat will also add to the true cost of many services mentioned. 

However it was you talking about the Emercoin & Factom approach that lead me to agree with you that from a marketing point of view you can also focus on the product and service 'potential'.

This is why I spend so much of my time thinking about Smartcoins, I personally think it's at the centre of what BitShares has to offer and getting those more tightly pegged is what's going to make investors and new developers believe that the potential of many of those products and services can be actualized.

@cass , would you consider placing it on our website as part of your current worker proposal?
Together with a couple of screen-shots of our GUI, this would be a very refreshing addition.
We could keep the webpage as it is but just add a dedicated section for non-technical newcomers with Empirical's text and some screenshots.

If this is outside the scope of your worker, I think this is worth a separate worker proposal and having it done by you or someone else who has the time.

Thanks, If you're going to use it on the site, feel free to add/remove products or change the text especially if any of the content isn't accurate/misleading.

@Empirical1.2  I realize this is off topic of this thread.. but I wanted to get your impressions since you seem to be expelling a great deal of brain power on Smartcoins.. what you think will bring the peg more inline with real world fiat.

Is it simply a chicken/egg situation if liquidity where someone is just going to have to step up and eat losses to try and pull all the other market traders inline to hold their trades within at least a 2% margin of the feed?

Or should the system change to where we put a ceiling on it and only allow the margins to go so far?

Is there something the committee could do in all this to make them work better?

Please forgive me if you have already stated such things and I have just forgotten or missed them and feel free to just cut and paste them if that is the case. :)

Personally I think BTS will benefit so much from tightly pegged Smartcoins that by supporting the peg we are not really eating a loss overall.

At the very least I think it's worth directing trading fees to dividends for the Shorts to bring them closer to the peg.

I think MAKER may fail because after two years/whenever, if the same market conditions persist Shorts will still be reluctant to come to the peg. (& we will have committed some of our future trading fees to Market Makers for past services rendered so won't be able to use that to incentivize them.)

My current thinking about how to get the Smartcoin peg tighter is here https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,21125.0.html

However there are people on here, obviously including BM himself who understand these problems better than me.

and there are people outside this forum we could be gaining interest from so they too can help us solve these probs.  but we cant tale the approach that we arent good enough. 

let anyone interested in deving w/ blockchains see even the basic network capabilities (3sec tx times that get lower as the network grows, separations of power, nearly unlimited scalability...) and they will get interested. 

these are things no other blockchain has...why not embrace them and tell people shamelessely that we need them to join us in our constant journey to find solutions for life liberty and property, and that we are always looking for people to join our cause and offer their solutions. 

the point im making here is that we are sitting on groundbreaking tech....tightly pegged smartcoins or not.  dude bitshares is already so money!  Lets keep working on improving but dont that keep us from advocating and recruiting!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 04:47:17 pm by fuzzy »

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Personally I think BTS will benefit so much from tightly pegged Smartcoins that by supporting the peg we are not really eating a loss overall.

At the very least I think it's worth directing trading fees to dividends for the Shorts to bring them closer to the peg.

I think MAKER may fail because after two years/whenever, if the same market conditions persist Shorts will still be reluctant to come to the peg. (& we will have committed some of our future trading fees to Market Makers for past services rendered so won't be able to use that to incentivize them.)

My current thinking about how to get the Smartcoin peg tighter is here https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,21125.0.html

However there are people on here, obviously including BM himself who understand these problems better than me.

So you want to pay a yield to shorts out of the fees.

Ok... I suggested something along the lines of a vesting balance in another thread. This makes more sense to me though because the vesting balance would be providing smartcoin liquidity at the same time to bring it closer to the peg.

I like it.. thought your analysis of us taking the same trading as polo assumes we get the same fee returns. There are quite a few here who don't even want to see 0.2% trades. Our current fee structure actually is cheaper than that too.

Nonetheless.. if we can set the returns to be relative to the system generated activity.. I think that will properly align incentives for everyone.

What is the downside to this exactly? As in what are the risks to the shorter?
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+