Author Topic: Bitcoin sidechain instead of bitBTC ?  (Read 4126 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
We can accomplish this with a pretty straight forward Smart Contract on Bitshares I believe.

The process would basically involve creating an EBA (UIA) that interfaces with a hosted wallet of said coin.

Similar to how blocktrades works, a deposit address associated with the EBA would be generated.

When the deposit hits the address a transaction is sent via the smartcontract to issue the EBA to the associated Bitshares account.

When the user wants to withdraw, they would perhaps send the amount they want to withdraw to a given bitshares address with a certain memo to specify the target address. The EBA is removed from their account and the coin is transferred to where ever they wanted it to go.

This would require maintaining a very secure environment.. but it's been done before.

This would effectively transfer coins in and out of bitshares in their full value.

It's doable.. I bet blocktrades is already like 90% of the way there. :)
You need acct for cross chain coin transfers...

Bitshares is capable of ACCT.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
We can accomplish this with a pretty straight forward Smart Contract on Bitshares I believe.

The process would basically involve creating an EBA (UIA) that interfaces with a hosted wallet of said coin.

Similar to how blocktrades works, a deposit address associated with the EBA would be generated.

When the deposit hits the address a transaction is sent via the smartcontract to issue the EBA to the associated Bitshares account.

When the user wants to withdraw, they would perhaps send the amount they want to withdraw to a given bitshares address with a certain memo to specify the target address. The EBA is removed from their account and the coin is transferred to where ever they wanted it to go.

This would require maintaining a very secure environment.. but it's been done before.

This would effectively transfer coins in and out of bitshares in their full value.

You need acct for cross chain coin transfers...
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
    • twitter.com/jonnybitcoin
another take on sidechains but slightly different and bitshares is even mentioned in the infographic.

http://www.truthcoin.info/blog/drivechain/
I run the @bitshares twitter handle
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile

There is no need for a secure bitcoin wallet with sidechains as bitcoin just gets frozen on the bitcoin blockchain and only the token holder can unlock it. AFAIK

twitter.com/bitshares

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
oh yummy.  @JohnnyBitcoin if technically feasible (should be) this is a great idea.  perhaps we could reach out to the blockstream guys and try to hire them on to build it :)

One thought that comes to mind though....why not use something like what seraph was going to build where it was a multisig gateway that essentially automates all that without a sidechain.

The only person who should be able to unlock the real btc should be the holder of the btc token.With a true sidechain there is zero need for committee control or any type of multisig. I hope it is feasible. Some say blockstreams implementation is not perfect yet and they've had $21 million in funding so far.
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline fuzzy

oh yummy.  @JohnnyBitcoin if technically feasible (should be) this is a great idea.  perhaps we could reach out to the blockstream guys and try to hire them on to build it :)

One thought that comes to mind though....why not use something like what seraph was going to build where it was a multisig gateway that essentially automates all that without a sidechain.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:38:01 pm by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

TravelsAsia

@bytemaster  Is it something CNX might be interested in tackling?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
(the hardest part there being implementing scrypt in EVM code […]),

Gonna be an expensive (gas) feature

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
If this is possible, my first impression is that it's a good idea. Again I dont now the technical details, but it's a good way to make use of Bitcoin and build a better relationship with other communities. People might also think it's safer since Bitcoin is more robust. And they wouldn't perceive us as a competing project, but one that complements bitcoin
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
it's about time for me to read through it :)