Author Topic: [Worker Proposal] Blockchain maintenance developer  (Read 7955 times)

Offline dannotestein

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow
[Worker Proposal] Blockchain maintenance developer
« on: February 02, 2016, 07:37:02 pm »
I believe we need a worker proposal to fix many of the small problems discovered in the blockchain protocol and code base. These problems are generally too small to require individual proposals that must then be voted in by shareholders. There's too much overhead, the issues aren't easily explainable to voters, and there's too much delay in such a system to effectively address small tasks. Note that we already have similar proposals voted in for the GUI coding and web development (SVK, Cass, etc).

BlockTrades is soliciting feedback on this idea before making a formal proposal on the BitShares network.

We're thinking of proposing to do this at a rate of 60000 bts/day.
The work would be done by Eric, myself, plus other subcontractors as necessary (e.g. Cryptonomex or SynaptiCAD employees). We would make a report once per month on what has been done during that period.
http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Re: [Worker Proposal] Blockchain maintenance developer
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 07:54:36 pm »
60k bts per day is 2x the amount I am asking for to fund 20h/week of work (though I am doing way more but I need to deal with that)

That said, I think it is a fair price considering your have high-profile devs working on it and we can need every single working hand on the graphene backend!

I would support this if you could elaborate a little more how much time you are willing to put into graphene

These are two reference proposals:
https://github.com/xeroc/worker-proposals
https://github.com/cassiopaia/worker-proposals-bts
Give BitShares a try! Use the http://testnet.bitshares.eu provided by http://bitshares.eu powered by ChainSquad GmbH

Offline dannotestein

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 08:17:39 pm »
I would support this if you could elaborate a little more how much time you are willing to put into graphene
I'm hoping we can manage to keep the work to an average of 20 man hours/week, but I suspect it will sometimes go above that depending on what needs to be done.
http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline roadscape

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 05:39:20 am »
Yeah, "high" but fair price.. it's important low-level work and Dan N & team are very well fit to do it. Could you list some examples of the big and small issues you'd focus on? Would this be purely maintenance work or will you be adding/improving features?
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 06:15:10 am »
I have some questions, who can tell me?

1. we pay workers for USD, do you have different budget when the price changed?
     do you still dilution 10K USD per month for every worker even the price down to 0.0001 USD/BTS? that's 100M BTS/month.
2. what's the plan after all 3.7 billion have dilluted?
3. workers ask for a fair payment, should all others ask too? of course not everybody's worker will success, then their choise is leave BTS, do nothing for BTS if they can't get the payment. so here we are, we do everything only for money. I have no  interesting for such a community.
dilution until  the market cap to 0, go on.

I support you developer's work, but I will against all dilution workesrs at such price, to protect my BTS not go to zero.
please set "baozi" as your proxy if you against dilution.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 06:26:11 am by alt »

Offline deer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 06:31:57 am »
haha,bitshares is a charity founded by the poor shareholder who keep dulition themselves until all bankrupt just to feed some “ever un-application ”developer. :)

Offline gamey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 07:15:10 am »
That is a reasonable price for Bitshares to remain competitive.

Too bad there weren't any Chinese devs willing to step up to bat ?  What are the issues?

This is all a side effect of closing the source code off, getting away from any talk of a 'toolkit', etc. Hiring any developer now will require a learning curve, so the ~$70 an hour is likely a good deal ...

I see some guys seeming to get pissed off. I wouldn't let pride or jealousy force your decisions.

PS BitShares is always good for entertainment.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline freedom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 08:11:40 am »

do you still dilution 10K USD per month for every worker even the price down to 0.0001 USD/BTS? that's 100M BTS/month.
3. workers ask for a fair payment, should all others ask too? of course not everybody's worker will success, then their choise is leave BTS, do nothing for BTS if they can't get the payment. so here we are, we do everything only for money. I have no  interesting for such a community.

I support you developer's work, but I will against all dilution workesrs at such price, to protect my BTS not go to zero.
+5% +5% +5%

jakub

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 11:49:08 am »
haha,bitshares is a charity founded by the poor shareholder who keep dulition themselves until all bankrupt just to feed some “ever un-application ”developer. :)

Let's assume you and I have set up a company: you have 50% of shares and I have 50% of shares so we participate in the company's profits on an equal footing.
- You work several hours a day to expand the company, build a better product and acquire more customers.
- I do nothing, just sit and watch you doing the work. Occasionally I might comment on something and offer my advice.

Do you really think it's a fair deal for you?
If so, I'd like to set up a company with you.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 11:58:02 am »
Do you really think it's a fair deal for you?
If so, I'd like to set up a company with you.
I am in as well .. I can even dedicate a distinct mail address for the partnership: noreply[member=73]bitshares[/member].eu
Give BitShares a try! Use the http://testnet.bitshares.eu provided by http://bitshares.eu powered by ChainSquad GmbH

jakub

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 12:00:45 pm »

Dilution is nothing bad if it serves a good purpose.
In our case the purpose is this: to transfer some value from shareholders who do nothing to shareholders who do something useful for the company.

This way the company grows and each share rises in value, which should (if the work is truly useful) easily offset its drop in value due to dilution.

What you propose, alt, is stagnation, waiting for some kind of miracle that would make the world realize how valuable BitShares is.
Or you count on people working for you for free. Which is equally delusional.

Offline alt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 12:10:35 pm »
many people are  doing their job to make BTS more valuable
transwiser, blocktrade, metaexchange, ccedk.... maybe dacx
they build business for BTS, they don't need dilution,
we should wait for these business development, we need more business, more users.

do you play game starcraft?
we spent too much energy to upgrade our technolgy , but we don't produce solders, we don't open new miners,
we'll upgrade technology until we spent our last cent.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 12:16:37 pm »
many people are  doing their job to make BTS more valuable
transwiser, blocktrade, metaexchange, ccedk.... maybe dacx
they build business for BTS, they don't need dilution,
we should wait for these business development, we need more business, more users.

do you play game starcraft?
we spent too much energy to upgrade our technolgy , but we don't produce solders, we don't open new miners,
we'll upgrade technology until we spent our last cent.
So .. how do you think I can make money out of giving everyone support and writing documentation as well as the python library and others?
If you want me to ask fo $5 per answered support issue I'll gladly take it instead of running a worker.

For me, a worker is essential to keep my work here going. If it wasn't for those funds, I would need to get a regular job, which is certainly not a problem, and I would get payed WAY MORE money than it get here. If coming back and I will have to spend 40h+ at that job. The consequence is that I cannot contribute anymore to this community but only do paid jobs for businesses to profit and not for BitShares to profit from.

Offline alt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 12:24:04 pm »
xeroc, I appreciate  your work, you give me the most help.
I'll be glad to approve to pay you from the committee's balance.
but not from dilution. I have said, dilution 1 USD, share holders lost 10 USD.

you are the important person as I know, because your work support the business.

at the same time, I am worriy about we don't have enough money to pay for you,
so I'm glad to request a parttime job, I wish you can earn more money from other rich company.

another way is I wish promise pay you  with the future income, if you are not lack of money for basic life now.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Steemit Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 12:25:40 pm »
That is a reasonable price for Bitshares to remain competitive.

Too bad there weren't any Chinese devs willing to step up to bat ?  What are the issues?

This is all a side effect of closing the source code off, getting away from any talk of a 'toolkit', etc. Hiring any developer now will require a learning curve, so the ~$70 an hour is likely a good deal ...

I see some guys seeming to get pissed off. I wouldn't let pride or jealousy force your decisions.

PS BitShares is always good for entertainment.
I'm a Chinese developer. I've been doing some maintenance work for a while.. I do want to get paid as well..
BTS account: abit
BTS committee member: abit
BTS witness: in.abit