Author Topic: [Worker Proposal] Blockchain maintenance developer  (Read 43048 times)

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow
Another issue is should proxy in DPOS work for 1 level or multiple levels? Please feel free to give your comment.
https://github.com/bitshares/bsips/issues/79
I left my comments on the issue.
http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
I'm aware of the unclaimed funds: I don't tend to forget such sums of money, especially when they've appreciated like BTS has since they were allocated. My intent for the usage of the funds remains unchanged from my previous statements about it: I'll draw upon them for work I think especially important to the future of the chain.

... I plan to involve some of our engineers in development work prior to that time (I introduced the guys to the concepts of UIAs, for example, yesterday).

Thanks for the clarification and contributions.

One thing I would like to see now and would be willing to fund for a reasonable price from the allocated funds: an onchain or offchain solution to the bug where the vote counts aren't available for committee members that aren't presently elected. To me this seems like a distinct weakness in the governance system.

There is an github issue for this: https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-core/issues/987, actually I've got an idea about how to fix it just a few days before, although not yet started to code, due to priority. It's also good if someone else can get it fixed. However, IMHO, efforts related to this issue can be covered by the core dev worker if there isn't a dedicated bounty for it.

Back to the topic, 7 million BTS seems a bit too huge in comparison to such small bounties. Now we already have a core dev worker to cover the maintenance job which was intention of this worker. Since we haven't yet decided how to use this fund, given the fact that most workers on chain now are being paid via escrows, I propose that we move the remaining funds of this worker to be controlled by an escrow service (for example BBF) or merge it with the core dev worker, if we still want to use it to fund core development / maintenance. We do want experienced project manager and developers to help and contribute, not only funds. On the other hand, if we're going to use it to fund other things, which would be out of this worker's scope, IMHO it's best to re-vote.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline Bangzi

• View Profile
    • Steemit: Bangzi
  • BitShares: bangzi

One thing I would like to see now and would be willing to fund for a reasonable price from the allocated funds: an onchain or offchain solution to the bug where the vote counts aren't available for committee members that aren't presently elected. To me this seems like a distinct weakness in the governance system.

True. Another issue is should proxy in DPOS work for 1 level or multiple levels? Please feel free to give your comment.
https://github.com/bitshares/bsips/issues/79
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 03:47:25 pm by Bangzi »
Bitshares DEX - Over 1000 Coins, Buy, Sell, Transfer & List Any Coins |Free Signup Today: https://wallet.bitshares.org/?r=bangzi

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
Please be aware that there are still 7,072,500 BTS unclaimed in this worker. I guess it's unused? So perhaps make some good use with it, or return it to the reserve pool?
I'm aware of the unclaimed funds: I don't tend to forget such sums of money, especially when they've appreciated like BTS has since they were allocated. My intent for the usage of the funds remains unchanged from my previous statements about it: I'll draw upon them for work I think especially important to the future of the chain.

So far, I haven't had time to do much BitShares development work personally for a while due to commitments to other contracts, but that is changing soon. As a first step, recently I've begun reviewing the "state" of the project to determine areas where I think some work could be beneficially focused and also doing a small amount of contract work to customers interested in BitShares (the contract work was totally paid for by the customers and didn't involve changes to BitShares itself, so there was no reason to charge the maintenance funds for it). I won't be able to devote a large amount of my own time until my current commitments are completed (somewhere in next 2 to 6 months I hope), but I plan to involve some of our engineers in development work prior to that time (I introduced the guys to the concepts of UIAs, for example, yesterday).

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 02:04:49 pm by dannotestein »

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
Please be aware that there are still 7,072,500 BTS unclaimed in this worker. I guess it's unused? So perhaps make some good use with it, or return it to the reserve pool?

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcrab
  • GitHub: bitcrab
Email:bitcrab@qq.com

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
@dannotestein could you update us on this proposal? you are still working on this, right? and what's your plan on it in the coming future?
Hi @bitcrab,

I answered this in another thread (https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,22528.msg293114.html#msg293114), but I guess parts of that thread bear repeating here:

I'm treating the funds accumulated in this account as "allocatable" to blockchain maintenance projects. So if someone proposes to fix a bug at a cost I consider reasonable, I can guarantee that there's sufficient funding to pay for the work. So while funds will build up at times when no one is specifically working on a project, those funds will only be paid when work is performed (and I'll post about the amount paid and what work was done by whom). If the amount builds up to an amount I consider excessive, I'll simply send some back to the reserve account.

At this moment, I've allocated $1000 USD equivalent of BTS (actual amount paid will depend on BTS price at time of payment) from the fund for BlockTrade's work on the memo key bug. I'm also planning to spend some from this account to partially pay for work being done on adding the ability to distribute dividends to UIA holders. Beyond that, we'll just be on the lookout for other problems that arise or a compelling feature that seems to have community support that can be added at relatively low cost.

In other news, I have hired a new web programmer who will start in 2 weeks, and I plan to assign him some tasks related to improvement of the web wallet. If there's no major objections, I would pay him part of his salary from the blockchain maintenance worker and I'll subsidize the rest.

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcrab
  • GitHub: bitcrab
@dannotestein could you update us on this proposal? you are still working on this, right? and what's your plan on it in the coming future?
Email:bitcrab@qq.com

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
I think all that would be required is to identify someone trustworthy enough to grant access to github.   
@abit certainly deserves access to github
Abit has my vote as well, he's a machine!

+5%
Thank you guys, perhaps my skills fit the job, but I'm afraid that my rate won't be as low as @bitcrab and/or other Chinese community members expected, since I'm not living in China, nor a junior developer.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
I think all that would be required is to identify someone trustworthy enough to grant access to github.   

+5%
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

+5% agreed
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline svk

Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline bytemaster

Are there people in China that are able and willing to take on maintenance?  Perhaps the best solution is to outsource this support to people who are more cost effective for the blockchain.

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

@dannotestein then let's continue to discuss this at the end of April, have a good holiday.

@BunkerChain Labs yes I think this work proposal have chance to continue, if the price can be limited in a relatively reasonable level, we should support useful and efficient work, if it is not over paid.
sounds good

+5%
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+