Author Topic: Appearance of Deflation vs No Dilution  (Read 14326 times)

Offline fuzzy

If I recall correctly the exclusion of the reserve pool from total supply was because it couldn't be spent and it provided the feeling of deflation. However the cost of that is the stigma of dilution any time that pool is tapped.

What are the communities thoughts on basically pulling a "Ripple" and adding the reserve pool to the communicated total supply and doing away with the term dilution altogether? There'd be a one time hit as the market adjusted to the new supply but the long term benefits may outweigh that cost.

Thoughts?

Hell no.

What would happen is that instead of having an $8M market cap at a 2.5B supply, we would go down to a $*M market cap for the 3.7B supply.

The only thing pulling a ripple did was make everyone hate them, remember? 

Furthermore, listing 3.7B supply of BTS would not be accurate, because this amount does not exist.  It would be like listing BTC's supply at 21M right now, and saying its market cap is 50% higher.

well it did one other thing oretty effectively...destroy a amassive headwind pushing us up past them.  had they not done that, i still suspect we would have stayed higher than them....but then again i could be wrong.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

If I recall correctly the exclusion of the reserve pool from total supply was because it couldn't be spent and it provided the feeling of deflation. However the cost of that is the stigma of dilution any time that pool is tapped.

What are the communities thoughts on basically pulling a "Ripple" and adding the reserve pool to the communicated total supply and doing away with the term dilution altogether? There'd be a one time hit as the market adjusted to the new supply but the long term benefits may outweigh that cost.

Thoughts?

Hell no.

What would happen is that instead of having an $8M market cap at a 2.5B supply, we would go down to a $*M market cap for the 3.7B supply.

The only thing pulling a ripple did was make everyone hate them, remember? 

Furthermore, listing 3.7B supply of BTS would not be accurate, because this amount does not exist.  It would be like listing BTC's supply at 21M right now, and saying its market cap is 50% higher.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
people would most likely think we diluted even if we didn't.

Exactly.

Sometimes I feel like the community is looking for problems where really non exist. Let's focus on real problems like liquidity and I believe we'll be fine.
Totally! Great idea riverhead

Offline Pheonike

Exactly.

Sometimes I feel like the community is looking for problems where really non exist. Let's focus on real problems like liquidity and I believe we'll be fine.

+5% 

Lets work on the problems we already have.

Offline Frodo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: frodo

Exactly.

Offline hcf27

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hcf27
I agree with this proposal, its the best strategy long term

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Yes .. let's pull a Ripple! :D

Offline bytemaster

It would probably boost us on coin market cap! 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Riverhead

Thoughts?