Author Topic: Why there is so little trading volume on the DEX  (Read 11101 times)

Offline noisy

Take a look on: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,19625.msg251894.html - I have a crazy idea - lets convince cryptonomex developers to use livecoding.tv

jakub

@lil_jay890
I agree with you that a MT plugin would be a big milestone for BitShares.

Why don't you write a formal BSIP?
It helped in my case. Back in December, when I started a thread about percentage-based fees,  the idea did not get much attention until... I turned it into a formal BSIP. This attracted abit to take on the task of turning it into code.

So it worked like this:
idea -> BSIP -> a coder comes along -> the idea becomes doable -> people start treating the idea seriously -> worker proposal

EDIT: And do it as FBA.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 08:55:34 pm by jakub »

julian1

+5%. It only needs to offer a few premium stocks, commodities and currencies. Integrated into a standard trading platform. A way for newbie traders to gain real exposure but without having to obtain a broker account/ meet kyc requirements. Working out the stop-loss integration might be complicated.

Offline karnal

• View Profile
I think this is the type of stuff that should be discussed. I'm not a trader and couldn't help noticing any of that but I'm glad you shared your opinions on it. We need more people like this. More input from traders. Base our work on that and listen to them.

+5%

Offline Pheonike

What is needed is A PLUGIN FOR METATRADER 4

Discussion of what is needed for this here: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,19816.0.html
Bug fixes are important but I agree that tools for pro traders are critical. Plus this could be added feature to entice users to LTM or AM.

Offline monsterer

My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
I think this is the type of stuff that should be discussed. I'm not a trader and couldn't help noticing any of that but I'm glad you shared your opinions on it. We need more people like this. More input from traders. Base our work on that and listen to them.

Fee debate isn't as important as this atm, imo. This should be the priority.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 05:17:00 pm by Akado »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
For a while now people have been trying to figure out why there is so little trading volume on the DEX.  I've traded forex and stocks for over 10 years and have written dozens of trading bots (Expert Advisors) in the mql language.  I've turned $2,500 into $50,000 in 6 months.  I've also turned $50,000 into $20,000 in 6 months as well. I think I have a pretty good idea of what traders need and expect from a platform.

1. Shorting in the DEX is cumbersome and confusing
I recently tried to short using the DEX.  I borrowed CNY and then sold that CNY for BTS.  I ended up getting margin called as BTS fell in price.  I'm ok with being wrong about a position, but I'm very confused with the mechanics of how this happened.  I also had no idea what my position was worth throughout the trade, and I'm not even entirely sure how much I lost.  Shorting needs to be streamlined and simplified.  The borrow/sell thing is too many steps and not knowing the positions value during the trade is borderline scary.

2.Is there a way to put a stop loss or take profit order?
Because right now I can't figure out how to do it.  This means there is no money management ability.  Without the ability to manage a trade, the DEX is unusable for serious traders.  There needs to be at a minim stop loss orders.  There really should be a way to put trailing stops in as well.

3.Indicators are shaky at best
Right now there are 4 indicators and 2 of them are moving averages.  The RSI doesn't appear to be working as the only reading I see on the more liquid markets are 100, 50, or 0.  It looks like an EKG witch tells me something isn't working correctly.  Not all traders use indicators, but many do.

These are just basic GUI things that are preventing traders from using the DEX.  It doesn't even include the inability to use leverage.  Just fixing the 3 things above will bring much more utility and liquidity to the dex.  I will guarantee it.  The people that originally designed the DEX were not traders.  They thought poloniex was a good interface to base their platform on.  Unfortunately, poloniex is not a good platform.  A professional trader would never use Poloniex.  Poloniex's platform is modeled off some cheap retail trading platform.

How do we fix this??
Right now we are consumed by petty fee debates and if we should keep calling ourselves DPOS.  These things are not that important right now.  It's not what will drive mainstream traders to the BTS platform.  What is needed is A PLUGIN FOR METATRADER 4.  While it isn't the most sophisticated trading platform, it's the most widely used and known.  It's also light years ahead of the current DEX.  What I propose is that instead of @dannotestein and blocktrades using a worker proposal to fix basic blockchain bugs, rather is work on creating a plugin for MT4.  They are already an exchange and have a good understanding of BTS.  I know it's not as easy as fixing "bad coding techniques", but getting this plugin for BTS would do more to improve the market cap and utility than anything else.