Author Topic: [poll] bug found Should the committee use the committee-trade account to trade  (Read 5150 times)

Offline Thom

you guys are making such a small task so complicated.

just put up a sell order at +15% for all bitassets and leave it there.
It doesn't need adjusting or a bot or discussion. you are making a mountain over a mole hill. simple transparent accounting is more important than  selling at the perfect price.

No JC, IT IS COMPLICATED! You say it's not but look at the evidence to the contrary:
- Lack of people participating in these threads or polls
- # of questions and length of responses to them
- the number of elements (fee pool, -trade accounts, bug or not, multisig, purpose of accounts)

The fact you can see the relationship between all of these things clearly does not mean others do. I'm not spring chicken and this is just not as simple as you seem to portray it, nor simple based on the multiple threads discussing all of these elements and factors.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
    • twitter.com/jonnybitcoin
you guys are making such a small task so complicated.

just put up a sell order at +15% for all bitassets and leave it there.
It doesn't need adjusting or a bot or discussion. you are making a mountain over a mole hill. simple transparent accounting is more important than  selling at the perfect price.
I run the @bitshares twitter handle
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Thx xeroc for the explanation. From your affirmative response to the second statement of mine you quoted, then we're not talking about a bug here. We're talking about how to resolve a practical problem the committee has in liquidating / using / trading committee account assets.
I don't really see a practical problem. As it is now, it is pretty much
a self-governed sub-committee that can be replaced entirely by the
(super) committee while the subcommittee itself can reach consensus
about who should be part of the committee-trade account.
It's almost an advantage in this scenario.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this issue. There are several aspects scattered across multiple threads. Puppies has explained the problem concerning the sale of assets and timing constraints, thus the need for a committee-trade account to get around that. Sounds like the difficulties due to committee members living in different time zones coupled with the volatility of the assets the committee wants to trade / liquidate / utilize  and the shareholder approval process makes using the original committee account difficult if not impractical.
The committee-account has a minimum preview period of 1h currently. That
means it can only react to markets within 1h. This 1h delay should
eventually be way higher (like 1 day to 1 week) just to let shareholders
see what is coming next and have them rethink their voting position
before a proposal is executed on chain. That way, shareholders have the
last say and can vote out approving committee-members just before
proposals get executed.

The committee-trade account does not have this limitation and can
execute proposals right away if they are approved by sufficiently many
members. It can surely not change any blockchain parameters though :)

However, there is a drawback here namely, that the committee-account
cannot peg to USD denoted fees with high accuracy simply because the
proposals need at least the review period.
IMHO, we need to find a solution for that issue eventually .. (before we
increase the review period)

The new committee-trade account must use a different set of accounts from that in the original account to get around the problem. If that is the case and the committee has reached consensus on the altered permissions, then the only issue is making sure the shareholders at large agree with those changes and approve the new authority structure. This seems to be a key consideration. It has the effect of changing the approval accounts dictated by shareholder voting to a different (perhaps only a subset) set of accounts on the -trade account. If all the same signatories were in both accounts the problem would still remain.
If shareholders do not agree with the members of that committee-trade,
they could simply create a proposal to replace those members and "force"
the committee-account to approve the proposal. That way the shareholders
have a say over the committee-trade account due to the fact that the
committee-account is the sole owner of committee-trade.
Makes sense?

I think this needs a thorough examination, and I see no reason to rush into a decision.

A few questions I still have:

1) How do these various assets make their way into the committee account? Where do those funds originate?
Those funds are profits from the fee pool currently and later will also
be profits from trading with smartcoins (0.10% if the current fee
schedule proposal is approved). Those funds need to be claimed by the
committee-account and need to be transfered to the committee-trade
account.
Another spot where shareholders could disagree and unvote every
committee-member that approves any of those two proposals (or a combined
proposal)

2) What is the intended purpose of those funds? Is that left entirely up to the committee?
The current committee has decided that those funds belong to the
shareholders (they are essentially profits from bitshares' products) and
thus should be exchanged back into BTS to
a) refill the fee pool and
b) put them back into the reserves

Elsewhere I asked about the fee pool and how that fits into the picture. I'll review that thread for those answers.

Currently, the core exchange rates for smartcoins is +5% above the feed
price. that means that every one that pays the fees in USD or EUR ..,
pays some 5% extra to the fee pool to exchange into BTS.
Those 5% extra are then part of the accumulated fees from the USD, EUR
asset and those are the fees we are currently talking about.
Later we will probably also see market fees (0.10%) that are collected
there as well.

When I think about the primary purpose of the committee, that being to adjust fees and policies related to fees, or blockchain parameters such as the maintenance period, I don't see how a committee account is required to do that. I just don't recall that element or it's purpose.  Yet that is what seems to be driving this problem to the fore.
The point was that the smart assets accumulated way over 7k USD and this
directly results in a high premium for USD since some of the liquidity
was locked up in the accumulated fees.
We (read: the current committee) also felt the need to provide some
liquidity with those funds.
We even discussed shorting USD with the accumulatd BTS but decided to
not take the risk. So, the current committee is not speculating with the
profits made from the products.

Offline Thom

Thx xeroc for the explanation. From your affirmative response to the second statement of mine you quoted, then we're not talking about a bug here. We're talking about how to resolve a practical problem the committee has in liquidating / using / trading committee account assets.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this issue. There are several aspects scattered across multiple threads. Puppies has explained the problem concerning the sale of assets and timing constraints, thus the need for a committee-trade account to get around that. Sounds like the difficulties due to committee members living in different time zones coupled with the volatility of the assets the committee wants to trade / liquidate / utilize  and the shareholder approval process makes using the original committee account difficult if not impractical.

The new committee-trade account must use a different set of accounts from that in the original account to get around the problem. If that is the case and the committee has reached consensus on the altered permissions, then the only issue is making sure the shareholders at large agree with those changes and approve the new authority structure. This seems to be a key consideration. It has the effect of changing the approval accounts dictated by shareholder voting to a different (perhaps only a subset) set of accounts on the -trade account. If all the same signatories were in both accounts the problem would still remain.

I think this needs a thorough examination, and I see no reason to rush into a decision.

A few questions I still have:

1) How do these various assets make their way into the committee account? Where do those funds originate?
2) What is the intended purpose of those funds? Is that left entirely up to the committee?

Elsewhere I asked about the fee pool and how that fits into the picture. I'll review that thread for those answers.

When I think about the primary purpose of the committee, that being to adjust fees and policies related to fees, or blockchain parameters such as the maintenance period, I don't see how a committee account is required to do that. I just don't recall that element or it's purpose.  Yet that is what seems to be driving this problem to the fore.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 04:47:26 am by Thom »
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
However, neither of you really clarified the issue of whether it's a bug
or not for the active participants to change the multisig account
characteristics.

The only thing that is now possible, that wasn't documented as such is
that the active authority can change the active authority.
They can still not change the owner authority.
Owner authority can still overwrite any other authority.

Everything that changes is that the active authority has slightly more
power which could be seen as a good thing if you think of the owner key
as a cold-storage key.
For instance, you have an account on your mobile phone which has a cold
owner key. Now you can change phones and migrate to a new phone without
even exchanging private keys at all and without the need to take
your owner key out of coldstorage.

From an attackers perspective not so much changes (assuming the owner has
access to its owner key) because the theft of the active key can result
in a loss of all funds in any case.

The only thing that really changes is if someone has lost his owner key.
Then, the loss of the active key would allow an attacker to take owner
ship of the account.

Correct me if this is wrong, but the only difference between active keys
and owner keys is that owner keys can change the active keys. Aside from
that they are equal. If that is true then the active key holders are
indeed allowed to alter the account characteristics.
Yes.

Either the active keys or owner keys could be used by a witness account
to sign blocks for example. I know that is definitely how it was in BTS
1. However, regarding multisig accounts it would make sense if ONLY the
owner keys could alter the account characteristics. I'm afraid the
manual is rather short on details concerning the distinctions, it only
describes the general difference.

Based only on the general description, it looks like a bug to me. Based
on what puppies said, who holds the owner keys for the multisig
committee accounts?
there are no "keys" involved in the multi-sig accounts.
Essentially, an authority can consist of
* pubkey
* bts address (used for stealth), and
* account_ids
A multisig account that contains account_ids as authority (i.g. the
committee-account) requires approval by the active (or owner) keys of
the corresponding account_ids.

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
bump.

To all shareholders, proxies:

Your input is needed.
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
There is no owner permission for the committee-account.  The owner of committee-trade account is the committee-account.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Thom

Thax abit. Xeroc is really moving along on those docs. Much progress since I last looked.

And yes, Owner key should be what puppies was referring to. If not he better switch his wallet keys  :o

However, neither of you really clarified the issue of whether it's a bug or not for the active participants to change the multisig account characteristics.

Correct me if this is wrong, but the only difference between active keys and owner keys is that owner keys can change the active keys. Aside from that they are equal. If that is true then the active key holders are indeed allowed to alter the account characteristics.

Either the active keys or owner keys could be used by a witness account to sign blocks for example. I know that is definitely how it was in BTS 1. However, regarding multisig accounts it would make sense if ONLY the owner keys could alter the account characteristics. I'm afraid the manual is rather short on details concerning the distinctions, it only describes the general difference.

Based only on the general description, it looks like a bug to me. Based on what puppies said, who holds the owner keys for the multisig committee accounts?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 02:38:27 am by Thom »

Offline puppies

• View Profile
I for example, do not have the active key of dele-puppy loaded into any wallets.
I think you mean owner key.
Quite right.  thanks abit.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
I for example, do not have the active key of dele-puppy loaded into any wallets.
I think you mean owner key.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline puppies

• View Profile
@Thom The committee-account does not have an owner.  The committee-account active authorities are determined by voting. 

The owner key is not the key that registered the account.  It is supposed to be the key that is used to adjust the active keys.  I for example, do not have the active key of dele-puppy loaded into any wallets.  If someone hacked one of my servers and got my active key, I should be able to use that offline owner key to change my active key and lock the attacker out. 

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
This is a fundamental question, and one I would normally go to the "owner's manual" to get a definitive answer about. How is the design supposed to work? Unfortunately no such "manual" exists that I know of.
Here is the manual: http://docs.bitshares.eu/bitshares/user/account-permissions.html

Offline Thom

Not truly certain I understand the issue. There are 2 aspects:

1) is it a bug for the active authority of a multisig account to be able to change the active authority?
2) which account (committee-trade vs some other account) should be used until #1 is settled?

As for #1, to say its a bug to allow the account's characteristics to be altered by the active account participants presumes a higher authority than those active account holders. I may be wrong but I believe the BitShares account ownership model is a strict hierarchical model, and every single account (except maybe some root account at the top of the hierarchy) has an owner, which I presume is the account that performs the registration. Again, this is not real clear to me.

Presumably multisig accounts are no different than any other in terms of this ownership hierarchy. The question seems more related to registrars, b/c that is a class of ownership that creates accounts for other parties to use. I'd hate to think that my BitShares accounts have an "overlord" owner than has more control over my accounts than I do.

On the other hand if I wish to create an account and give the owner keys to it away (which I believe is the way registrars work - I hope) I should have zero control over what happens to it from that point on.

This raises the question of "who owns" the committee account? The committee or someone else? If the answer is CNX it is not the right answer IMO. The whole point of a multisig account to mitigate the risk of an individual or defined minority from controlling the account. If CNX is STILL in control then they not demonstrating any confidence in the DPoS model they implemented and the "training wheels" are STILL bolted on.

This is a fundamental question, and one I would normally go to the "owner's manual" to get a definitive answer about. How is the design supposed to work? Unfortunately no such "manual" exists that I know of.

Offline puppies

• View Profile
Ill create the proposal later.  If someone beats me to it that would be just fine.

Offline Bhuz

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bhuz
Let's use the poll result.

It is a yes, use the committee-trade

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

We brought an issue to the forum for the whole community to participate as you have wanted @jakub . It stopped the committee from being able to take any action for almost 2 days now and thus far we have had nobody response except the committee themselves.

As someone who is concerned with ensuring the debunking of the idea of an elite committee, it seems important to you the community are the ones deciding on these things and not the committee. Can you @jakub please get everyone to stop talking about zero fees and other matters and get everyone to focus on this? We need to take action on this liquidity issue, but we don't want to have to work hard on it as you have said we shouldn't.

Thanks for your help.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog

Offline puppies

• View Profile

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
It may not be a bug after all but a desired feature. The owner key may ve considered as a coldkey tgis way. It seems I made some errors in the docs talking about authorities.
IMO it's a bug. Don't change the docs.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
This bug does not increase the risk of having these funds stolen while they are being traded.  This would require that of bhuz, bitcube, abit, xeroc, and myself three of us colluded together to steal these funds.  It does however increase the chance that the account can be stolen.  It effectively removes the ability of the committee to add or remove active authorizations to the account.  This instead needs to be done by the existing active authorities until this bug is fixed.
I'd like to point out that the committee still have full control over the "committee-trade" account, so it's possible for the committee to revoke any granted active authorities at any time.
It's just a matter of trust.
I voted for "use this account to trade right now" for better efficiency.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
It may not be a bug after all but a desired feature. The owner key may ve considered as a coldkey tgis way. It seems I made some errors in the docs talking about authorities.

Offline puppies

• View Profile
We previously had a poll https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,21218.0.html which showed low turnout, but rather wide support for transferring the bitassets collected by the fee pool to a separate account called committee-trade to sell them for bts.  The OP was

The committee has withdrawn the fees collected by the fee pools for our committee owned assets.  We have not yet sold these bitassets into the market.  This is the first of a number of polls to help determine the best way to accomplish this. 

The issue we have run into is that it is impossible to do anything with the committee account in real time.  Even if we got 51% of the committee on at the same time there is a 1 hour review period required for all committee proposals.  Realistically in order to get 51% of the committee to vote on something would take more like at least 12 hours.  The price of these bitassets can change fast, and the price which we set could be completely inappropriate by the time the proposal passes.  This is even more of a risk if we need to cancel a market order.  I think that using the committee account risks causing more damage to the peg than good.

To combat this I have created a new account http://cryptofresh.com/u/committee-trade It has owner permissions set to the committee, so the committee still has control of the account.  The active authority is currently set to myself, bhuz, abit, and xeroc.  abit and xeroc have not agreed to join in, I added them because I don't think they will mind.  Bhuz volunteered to help.  It is currently set as a 2 of 4 multi sig.  Because the committee account owns this account the committee can adjust the active authorities as it sees fit. 

I propose that we iron out exactly who will have active authority on this account, set the permissions properly, and transfer the bitassets held by the committee-account to committee-trade.  Committee-trade can then sell these assets in real time.  We could even devise a simple bot that will set sell walls at a certain percentage over feed price.

The committee currently owns

USD   6,910
EUR   10.24
GOLD   0.00381
SILVER   3.09
CNY   7,870
BTC   0.476

The consensus from earlier conversations was that we would sell these assets into their BTS market at a certain percentage above the peg.  There will be a separate poll to determine the rate above peg which we should target.  What we should do with the BTS received from these sales, is also a separate conversation.  I would like to keep this conversation about whether or not we should use the committee-trade account or the committee-account account to process these sales.  Also if anyone with good knowledge of the cli_wallet wants to step and help by becoming a multi sig active auth please let us know.

Yesterday we adjusted the active authority on the cOmmittee-trade account to add bitcube, and to increase the required weight to 3 of 5.  This should have required the owner authority of the account, which in this case is the committee.  Instead we discovered a bug.  The active authority can be adjusted by the active authority.  It only required abit and I to add bitcube, and to increase the threshold required.  Abit has filed an issue https://github.com/cryptonomex/graphene/issues/556 

This bug does not increase the risk of having these funds stolen while they are being traded.  This would require that of bhuz, bitcube, abit, xeroc, and myself three of us colluded together to steal these funds.  It does however increase the chance that the account can be stolen.  It effectively removes the ability of the committee to add or remove active authorizations to the account.  This instead needs to be done by the existing active authorities until this bug is fixed.

Please vote for what you think.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 07:01:25 am by puppies »