Author Topic: Potential BitShares Road Map for 2016  (Read 29359 times)

TravelsAsia

We also paid delegates like method-x to do marketing, in which he did absolutely nothing.

You might want to check your history. I was with you concerning Brian Page.

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

People are apprehensive about paying for marketing ever since Brian page fucked us.  Not saying that pay for marketing wouldn't work, but the last attempt set bts back massively.  It was false promise after false promise.

We also paid delegates like method-x to do marketing, in which he did absolutely nothing.

Fool me once, shame one you. Fool me twice shame on me. Fool me three times, kick me in the balls and tell me not to be so dumb.

Yeah... but I think you can agree that some of their lack of performance had to do with a less than marketable product. Or at least not being able to find a market that wanted/needed/could use that product other than those that invested.

What we had then to what we have now is like night and day.

We do not need to pay a marketer.. what we do need are tools to allow people to better market what we have and a roadmap to how people can profit for themselves using the refer program. Now mind you someone can design a program like this themselves and host their own wallet and then in turn be able to profit based on their performance. It's just that the barrier to entry on that front on the technical end is a bit more than most marketers are willing to stomach.

So there are two or three items I see that we could potentially consider if we were going to use a Worker in this regard:

1. Market research to better identify our target audiences so that we can target our messaging accordingly - intelligence
2. Develop the process/app of launching customized wallets to be more adoptable for marketers - tools
3. Have a management and development department with these tools to promote/manage/support marketers - execution

There is literally the largest army on earth of work at home affiliate marketers that can be employed if the right type of alignment is put in place as i have outlined.

That is where we should be focusing as a DAC platform.

To enable the masses with opportunities to prosper through Bitshares.

We can put together such a proposal for a 'roadmap' in this regard along with budgetary requirements and proposal to execute.

Perhaps with the introduction of no negative voting it might have some legs.

This all really depends on if you want to see Bitshares brand itself grow. Leaving it to anybody else only will result in the promotion of their own brand. Take for example Ronnie.. Openledger is the brand being promoted along with Obits... his efforts affect the price of obits, not really Bitshares.

If you want to see market cap and branding of Bitshares grow, then these are my recommendations based on 20+ years in business.

Thoughts?
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline tbone

• View Profile
  • BitShares: tbone2
I think marketing should be done by each one of us or as a community effort. No need for worker funds, it has already been proven it doesnt work, funds go to waste and we are not yet at a level where its worthy to use big funds for that since we still need to improve a lot of stuff.

Marketing will be done by each service using BitShares, the question is finding those services, not how to advertise BTS. If we have a good product, people will surely come, maybe it will take more time but they will. We should focus on that,

I strongly disagree. Looking at the great success of Ethereum I think we need a coordinated, Blockchain funded(worker), marketing approach that drafts a story around our technology. I do not believe that people will just "come". That might have been the case with Bitcoin, since it was all new. Now 99% of people know the Name Bitcoin, while 1% have ever bought a Bitcoin. No IT-geek will start to look over again for the best technology out there. They looked at Bitcoin and see it fail.

If you look for Blockchain solutions today, we have over 200 stand alone Blockchain providers alone. All those Blockchain consultants and independent IT Software solutions are loud and negotiating with corporate and governments about trail projects today. There will be no second Overstock scanning the whole market for the best solution. Let alone R3 & IBM and is providing working solutions for their clients already.

In these days BitShares can not allow to be quite and just build feature after feature to hope that maybe somebody will discover us in our little corner of the market.

BitShares needs to be loud. It needs to show presence at conferences and market the hell out of it. @Dan must go back on the road and challenge Ethereum in an epic battle of super Blockchain masterminds.

At the end we will all benefit from that. Every BitShares company will take off like a rocket as soon as the marketcap rises and we can sell our BitShares depots to fund further development. What if you have been an Ethereum Startup with a few thousands ETH in reserves? You had enough time to liquidate at ~$10 USD and are now sitting on a working capital of $+100.000 to market, build and create awesome products. BitShares does not have that luxury, so we need to come all together, use the resources we have today and promote our main features - Price stable Crypto Currencies!! That beats Bitcoin alone!

We do not have 4 months time to wait. The train will be gone for us.

Obviously every business that builds on top of Bitshares will do some form of marketing for their own business/brand.  But I agree with @Chris4210 that Bitshares itself very much needs a coordinated, focused marketing effort.  Isn't CNI going to be handling that?

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
People are apprehensive about paying for marketing ever since Brian page fucked us.  Not saying that pay for marketing wouldn't work, but the last attempt set bts back massively.  It was false promise after false promise.

Fool me once, shame one you. Fool me twice shame on me. Fool me three times, kick me in the balls and tell me not to be so dumb.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
Thanks @Akado to list the current major projects for Bitshares.

Please also add the Liquidity discussion to the list too. https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,21597.0/all.html
maybe @xeroc could help @Empirical1.2 to set up a BSIP?

I think we must decide very soon which projects really can bring us forward. We should not spend our worker funds on simple assumptions or fancy techy proof of concept projects. We do not need to fund a prediction market today, we also do not need a ethereum virtual machine yet. We need to promote the features we have today. Why don´t we focus on our competitive trading fees and price stable crypto currencies?

I suggest we spend a fair amount of the worker funds for real marketing and promoting our features today´s. That could include taking BTS of the major exchanges and promote BitUsd instead. What if Polo traders could store their trading profits of eth etc. in bitusd instead of btc? I think that could be very interesting for crypto only exchanges like polo.

We also need a project to promote BitShares to major exchanges. Why not focusing on bringing BitUSD to Bitfinex, Kraken, BTC38? Every Fiat on-ramp will help us.

i tend to agree with @Chris4210 on the point that we need to be promoting current capabilities. that's not to say that i think we should simultaneously halt tech dev, but perhaps shift some % of resources from new R&D to marketing. i'd recommend allocating about 20% of our budget to marketing, 80% to the usual worker project mix that includes docs, Web, and features. start there, see how things evolve, and iterate as it makes sense.
You're officially announcing that the referral program is a failed design. Why use worker funds to do marketing?

I think, in my opinion, that the referral program has been to weak from the start. You cannot build a profitable business based on the referral program alone! I calculated 4 different business plans based on BitShares and considered several profitable income streams. At the end, the referral program always ended up with below 5% of the total income. It is hard to predict the real referral income for the next 3 years. You cannot convince any investors with such a business model.

If you want to build MLM systems look at http://beonpush-guide.com/english/index.html or similar platforms. Nobody else pays you 0,5%-3,5% interest per day! That is a real MLM construct. You would need to take Beonpush on BitShares to build a interesting MLM for Online Marketers.

I think marketing should be done by each one of us or as a community effort. No need for worker funds, it has already been proven it doesnt work, funds go to waste and we are not yet at a level where its worthy to use big funds for that since we still need to improve a lot of stuff.

Marketing will be done by each service using BitShares, the question is finding those services, not how to advertise BTS. If we have a good product, people will surely come, maybe it will take more time but they will. We should focus on that,

I strongly disagree. Looking at the great success of Ethereum I think we need a coordinated, Blockchain funded(worker), marketing approach that drafts a story around our technology. I do not believe that people will just "come". That might have been the case with Bitcoin, since it was all new. Now 99% of people know the Name Bitcoin, while 1% have ever bought a Bitcoin. No IT-geek will start to look over again for the best technology out there. They looked at Bitcoin and see it fail.

If you look for Blockchain solutions today, we have over 200 stand alone Blockchain providers alone. All those Blockchain consultants and independent IT Software solutions are loud and negotiating with corporate and governments about trail projects today. There will be no second Overstock scanning the whole market for the best solution. Let alone R3 & IBM and is providing working solutions for their clients already.

In these days BitShares can not allow to be quite and just build feature after feature to hope that maybe somebody will discover us in our little corner of the market.

BitShares needs to be loud. It needs to show presence at conferences and market the hell out of it. @Dan must go back on the road and challenge Ethereum in an epic battle of super Blockchain masterminds.

At the end we will all benefit from that. Every BitShares company will take off like a rocket as soon as the marketcap rises and we can sell our BitShares depots to fund further development. What if you have been an Ethereum Startup with a few thousands ETH in reserves? You had enough time to liquidate at ~$10 USD and are now sitting on a working capital of $+100.000 to market, build and create awesome products. BitShares does not have that luxury, so we need to come all together, use the resources we have today and promote our main features - Price stable Crypto Currencies!! That beats Bitcoin alone!

Thanks, your words are very good.

But, who do you think you can convince by posting HERE, to achieve your/our goals? Is it very useful if you convinced me? No, I'm not a marketing guy, so I won't do anything even if I agree with you. I don't have much stake to be able to make decisions either. So don't waste time on me. And who else?

Yes, be loud. But to OUTSIDE.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline Chris4210

• Keep Building!
    • View Profile
    • www.payger.com
  • BitShares: chris4210

Please also add the Liquidity discussion to the list too. https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,21597.0/all.html

I think we must decide very soon which projects really can bring us forward. We should not spend our worker funds on simple assumptions or fancy techy proof of concept projects. We do not need to fund a prediction market today, we also do not need a ethereum virtual machine yet. We need to promote the features we have today. Why don´t we focus on our competitive trading fees and price stable crypto currencies?

I suggest we spend a fair amount of the worker funds for real marketing and promoting our features today´s. That could include taking BTS of the major exchanges and promote BitUsd instead. What if Polo traders could store their trading profits of eth etc. in bitusd instead of btc? I think that could be very interesting for crypto only exchanges like polo.

We also need a project to promote BitShares to major exchanges. Why not focusing on bringing BitUSD to Bitfinex, Kraken, BTC38? Every Fiat on-ramp will help us.

i tend to agree with @Chris4210 on the point that we need to be promoting current capabilities. that's not to say that i think we should simultaneously halt tech dev, but perhaps shift some % of resources from new R&D to marketing. i'd recommend allocating about 20% of our budget to marketing, 80% to the usual worker project mix that includes docs, Web, and features. start there, see how things evolve, and iterate as it makes sense.
You're officially announcing that the referral program is a failed design. Why use worker funds to do marketing?

I think, in my opinion, that the referral program has been to weak from the start. You cannot build a profitable business based on the referral program alone! I calculated 4 different business plans based on BitShares and considered several profitable income streams. At the end, the referral program always ended up with below 5% of the total income. It is hard to predict the real referral income for the next 3 years. You cannot convince any investors with such a business model.

If you want to build MLM systems look at http://beonpush-guide.com/english/index.html or similar platforms. Nobody else pays you 0,5%-3,5% interest per day! That is a real MLM construct. You would need to take Beonpush on BitShares to build a interesting MLM for Online Marketers.

Vote Chris4210 for Committee Member http://bit.ly/1WKC03B! | www.Payger.com - Payments + Messenger | www.BitShareshub.io - Community based fanpage for the BitShares Blockchain

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
i tend to agree that a solid product is attractive to new users on its own, but i'd still consider experimenting with some marketing ideas. i also agree that for anyone who cares enough about Bitshares to be reading this forum, we ought to have some personal responsibility in getting the message out ourselves. i personally make it a point to use my twitter account to support the community and i have talked to plenty of friends and colleagues urging them to give it a try.

@cylonmaker2053 You are a perfect candidate to be a Meetup group host. Meetups are the best way to introduce new people to Bitshares and everything the platform has to offer. We have a mobile wallet now too and in a couple weeks we will have the first couple POS systems ready for launch as well so right now is the perfect time to setup a meetup at your local coffee shop, bar or whatever. It's friendly, social people like you who are our greatest asset! Check this out, it is very easy:
http://bitshares.meetup.com
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053

i tend to agree that a solid product is attractive to new users on its own, but i'd still consider experimenting with some marketing ideas. i also agree that for anyone who cares enough about Bitshares to be reading this forum, we ought to have some personal responsibility in getting the message out ourselves. i personally make it a point to use my twitter account to support the community and i have talked to plenty of friends and colleagues urging them to give it a try.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile

referrals only be one type of marketing. why not consider our budget like any other business --part would go to SG&A, R&D, and part of the former would be a diversified marketing strategy.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile

Offline Chris4210

• Keep Building!
    • View Profile
    • www.payger.com
  • BitShares: chris4210

Vote Chris4210 for Committee Member http://bit.ly/1WKC03B! | www.Payger.com - Payments + Messenger | www.BitShareshub.io - Community based fanpage for the BitShares Blockchain

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
To be honest I'm interested in the liquidity pool only (my own opinion).

One question: will BitUSD in liquidity pool produce interests? If yes, to whom?
).

The interest will go to people who put their BitUSD/BTS in the liquidity pool paid for by BTS shareholders.

If you were yield harvesting BitUSD, so had BitUSD in your account anyway it may not take much to convince you to send some of it to the liquidity pool. I know very little about market making and liquidity pools but I  have created a liquidity pool discussion and given an example of one so hopefully I/we can find out more about if they are a helpful/cost effective way of achieving liquidity and a tight peg. Would be interested in your opinion/input...

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,21800.0.html
What if the pool sold out some or most of its BitUSD? Then where does the interest come from?

My temporary conclusion is: when it's possible to do yield harvesting, if you want more interest from BitUSD, don't put your BitUSD into liquidity pool. Or say, any interest on BitUSD will make the cost of running a liquidity pool more expensive, since the investors expect more return.

By the way, why not quote and/or reply to the rest of my previous post?
All these features can be done in 3rd-party CLIENT SOFTWARE, but not have to be done in the core, nor have to ask for BM's or other core developers' opinion. It's safe to let the committee hold and distribute the funds for incentives.

In regards to the funds for development, you can try IPO or other ways to raise funds first, after main functionality is completed developing, sell the feature to stake holders via worker (or maybe you'll find it's good to operate it by yourself at that time).

What if the pool sold out some or most of its BitUSD? Then where does the interest come from?

When the sell side gets depleted, the interest rate gets higher to attract new BitUSD into the pool. You could also raise the price from $1.01-$1.02. (The interest for the pool would be subsidized by BTS shareholders.)

My temporary conclusion is: when it's possible to do yield harvesting, if you want more interest from BitUSD, don't put your BitUSD into liquidity pool. Or say, any interest on BitUSD will make the cost of running a liquidity pool more expensive, since the investors expect more return.

That's true but I think even if you were yield harvesting at around 5% a year, that would only be 0.013% a day so it shouldn't have much impact on our decision to use the liquidity pool which pays 0.2% a day I think however there should be a lot of BitUSD in existence willing to participate if it was already yield harvesting.

Sorry, my response was only to the interest part so I only quoted that. (I don't have a strong opinion on the rest yet but I think yes a third party option would probably be best at first so it can be tweaked easily.) 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 12:11:34 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
To be honest I'm interested in the liquidity pool only (my own opinion).

One question: will BitUSD in liquidity pool produce interests? If yes, to whom?
).

The interest will go to people who put their BitUSD/BTS in the liquidity pool paid for by BTS shareholders.

If you were yield harvesting BitUSD, so had BitUSD in your account anyway it may not take much to convince you to send some of it to the liquidity pool. I know very little about market making and liquidity pools but I  have created a liquidity pool discussion and given an example of one so hopefully I/we can find out more about if they are a helpful/cost effective way of achieving liquidity and a tight peg. Would be interested in your opinion/input...

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,21800.0.html

All these features can be done in 3rd-party CLIENT SOFTWARE, but not have to be done in the core, nor have to ask for BM's or other core developers' opinion. It's safe to let the committee hold and distribute the funds for incentives.

In regards to the funds for development, you can try IPO or other ways to raise funds first, after main functionality is completed developing, sell the feature to stake holders via worker (or maybe you'll find it's good to operate it by yourself at that time).