Author Topic: Annoying problem matching orders  (Read 4754 times)

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Bitshares is awesome, just needs a little work here and there and more people willing to put money into the system to trade. i'd be happy to help you with some trading basics if you're still interested in playing around with the system. i think it's worth it long run and my money is where my mouth is, which should count for something.

Placing orders is the fundamental thing, I can't imagine how they could not fix it, if it was well known for some time. I guess I'll give it a try again, now when I know that it should be possible somehow in the end.
Where I can find information about OPEN.BTC, BTC, bitBTC currencies?

In all likelihood it is 100% my fault.
I have complained about this at least 7 time during BTS 1.0....and me complaining about something is sure way for an issue to quickly loose priority...to be totally honest they finally  'fixed' it...by making the auto-fill to use bigger amount than required, bigger then required by quite a few more than just a few sat...
So, just as an advice try the auto-fill for not the first but some other order...if you do not like it - as I said it is better for you to bring the issue and not me...

I think it is js not having a native library for fixed point calculations (I believe the CLI written in C++ has no such issue)

----------
OPEN.BTC is token (user issued asset) of OpenLedger
bitBTC has symbol BTC , so do not expect to find any bitBTC (in the GUI or CLI)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:01:22 pm by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
Bitshares is awesome, just needs a little work here and there and more people willing to put money into the system to trade. i'd be happy to help you with some trading basics if you're still interested in playing around with the system. i think it's worth it long run and my money is where my mouth is, which should count for something.

Placing orders is the fundamental thing, I can't imagine how they could not fix it, if it was well known for some time. I guess I'll give it a try again, now when I know that it should be possible somehow in the end.

cryptofresh.com has a thorough listing of all the smartcoins and assets. here's what it looks like for bitBTC: http://cryptofresh.com/a/BTC

Some things to note are current supply and SQP, which, divided by 100, is the margin call ratio threshold. if you maintenance margin falls below that number, then your collateral will be force liquidated. Given the weak liquidity for these markets,  you do not want that to happen. Note, that's only an issue if you ever borrow an asset/smartcoin and then sell it, leaving yourself with an uncovered short position.

placing orders is pretty straightforward. just look at the order book in any market for the highest big, lowest ask, and note the settlement price. Given the lack of liquidity, we typically see all the action happening above settlement price.

@svk has either already, or will shortly fix the bug that started this thread. Despite being annoying, it wasn't too much of an issue for me. Still, it'll be nice having it fixed.

Let me know if there's anything else i can help with wrt trading mechanics.

Offline egzi

• View Profile

Offline Riverhead

Fantastic! This bugged the heck out of me :).

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
About a third of the time i try placing direct buy or sell orders against an open order by simply clicking on the bid or ask in the order book, the trade isn't matched. There seems to be some microscopic price difference that prevents trade execution. I've wasted at least hundreds of BTS in fees by having to cancel out that order and put it back in at some token amount higher. This is a very annoying bug in the system that probably has an easy fix.

Whenever i click on a bid or ask to auto populate a buy or sell order, the price should be EXACTLY matched. it often is, but far too often there is a mismatch that i cannot see and i end up wasting fees.

Any ideas how to fix?

I think I finally figured this out today, turns out there was a <1 satoshi mismatch in some cases when calculating the total value using the integer price ratio. I tested it a fair bit on the testnet and all my orders matched so I really hope this has it fixed. I've asked valzav to do a release later today so hopefully you'll see it sooner rather than later.

freaking awesome @svk, thank you so much for being so responsive! 1 satoshi diff sounds about right.  +5% +5% +5%

Offline svk

About a third of the time i try placing direct buy or sell orders against an open order by simply clicking on the bid or ask in the order book, the trade isn't matched. There seems to be some microscopic price difference that prevents trade execution. I've wasted at least hundreds of BTS in fees by having to cancel out that order and put it back in at some token amount higher. This is a very annoying bug in the system that probably has an easy fix.

Whenever i click on a bid or ask to auto populate a buy or sell order, the price should be EXACTLY matched. it often is, but far too often there is a mismatch that i cannot see and i end up wasting fees.

Any ideas how to fix?

I think I finally figured this out today, turns out there was a <1 satoshi mismatch in some cases when calculating the total value using the integer price ratio. I tested it a fair bit on the testnet and all my orders matched so I really hope this has it fixed. I've asked valzav to do a release later today so hopefully you'll see it sooner rather than later.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
I had the same problem. I wondered why there is so little information on the internet about bitshares. I guess I found out why. This kind of things are unacceptable.
I deposited some bitcoins, then I realized that there is nothing called bitUSD I can buy anywhere, and there is 25% difference from other markets price for something called USD (what the heck). I decided to withdraw my bitcoins but I did't have any BTS to cover the fee. It didn't want to mach the orders. After some tries  I realized there is 9,9BTS fee return, and that way I managed to collect the fee for withdrawal. Meanwhile I got a headache. It looked so good...

This tells a lot...
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
I had the same problem. I wondered why there is so little information on the internet about bitshares. I guess I found out why. This kind of things are unacceptable.
I deposited some bitcoins, then I realized that there is nothing called bitUSD I can buy anywhere, and there is 25% difference from other markets price for something called USD (what the heck). I decided to withdraw my bitcoins but I did't have any BTS to cover the fee. It didn't want to mach the orders. After some tries  I realized there is 9,9BTS fee return, and that way I managed to collect the fee for withdrawal. Meanwhile I got a headache. It looked so good...

Offline egzi

• View Profile

Xeldal

oh nice, excellent! very good to know.

nonetheless, this is an annoying bug, should be fixed sooner rather than later.

Yes, bug should be fixed, can you tell pair which you trade and has this issue, it's OPEN.BTC:X where prices very small?
Every pair has this issue.  It's to do with the way all prices are calculated using a ratio instead of absolute price.  I think because we are able to flip markets upside down it is done this way?  IDK

Offline testz

Yes, bug should be fixed, can you tell pair which you trade and has this issue, it's OPEN.BTC:X where prices very small?

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
... I've wasted at least hundreds of BTS in fees by having to cancel out that order and put it back in at some token amount higher. This is a very annoying bug in the system that probably has an easy fix.
Any ideas how to fix?

It's impossible to waste hundreds of BTS, cancel not filled order cost you 0.1 BTS.

the 10 BTS that goes into placing the order?

But 9.9 BTS returned to you if order wasn't filed as vesting balance, check vesting menu of your account.

Offline testz

... I've wasted at least hundreds of BTS in fees by having to cancel out that order and put it back in at some token amount higher. This is a very annoying bug in the system that probably has an easy fix.
Any ideas how to fix?

It's impossible to waste hundreds of BTS, cancel not filled order cost you 0.1 BTS.

But 9.9 BTS returned to you if order wasn't filed as vesting balance, check vesting menu of your account.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
We've had this bug since the beginning of BTS 0.x

I guess there is either no easy solution or no one cares enough to fix it.  I think It would require a complete reworking of how prices are calulated, so probably pretty difficult. 

It is completely unacceptable though IMO.  If I was a new user I would not stick around if this happened to me.  I would use a different system.  It is terribly frustrating.

i agree, this type of bug would be extra annoying for a new user testing Bitshares. we're all here bc we're actively trying to make this a success, so our tolerance for bugs is much higher than a trader looking for a good new trading platform.

any workers considering fixing this bug? you'd easily get my vote.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
Any ideas how to fix?