Author Topic: Tacit knowledge of management of DAC  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
Why not post to General discussions board?

It's already so bloated and I thought this is anyway pretty much metadiscussion.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
Why not post to General discussions board?
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
I just listened to Econtalk episode with Cesar Hidalgo on Why Information Grows and it got me thinking about learning to manage a decentralized autonomous company.

Hidalgo talks about importance of networks in creating new knowledge and know-how. The Bitshares DAC is a network that connects people around the world. It's somewhat like a traditional company, but because of the strong trust that blockchain creates, people don't need know each other and they don't need to work and cooperate face-to-face what is usually required for human organizations. DAC is very unique in that sense.

Mostly we try give right economic incentives for people. But that is not necessarily enough. We, as a community, need to also accumulate know-how how to actually run this thing succesfully for a long period of time. It is a big challenge because anybody can come and go as they please. Shareholders, workers, committee members and witnesses are not bounded in any way to Bitshares. They can leave anytime they want. But on the other hand, we can approve new people in very easily – we just need to learn how to effectively teach them the know-how that we have accumulated.

Even if Bitshares fails someday, I will be probably very thankful for all the experience and knowledge that I've gathered from this community. We are trying to do here something that nobody else has ever done. We are pioneers of DAC management. Every failure and struggle that we enocunter teaches us at least what does not work and we learn to avoid it in the future. Even with this very incomplete and inadequate information we know more about DAC management than 99.99 % of the people in the world.

Any thoughts?