Author Topic: Marketing plan for Bitshares 2.1  (Read 16354 times)

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
So what's the timeline here? When the stealth and free transactions features are ready? If I understood right, Bytemaster said in the latest hangout that they might be in a same hardfork quite soon.

If we want to use this possibility for focused marketing effort, we need to know only two things:

1) Is the version number going to change to 2.1?
2) When the hardfork is going to happen?

If we know these as soon as possible, anyone can make marketing plans either together or individually. We don't need to agree on a certain message, but we all need to make the effort at the same time to get the full benefit.

@bytemaster, @Stan would be nice to hear a comment from Cryptonomex on this topic.
IMOH(!) ... CNX is only a software provider for BitShares and nothing more. They probably won't and shouldn't be able to *just* decide on bumping the version number.
As they are merely the technological providers for BitShares, the marketing side of things has to be done by other parties (and it should be as we all know how well
marketing went with CNX/I3).

How come we have a decentralized network, decentralized community, decentralized exchange but not decentralized marketing yet?!?

completely agree. besides, i bet CNX would like it if more of us stepped up and took on active roles.

Offline Pheonike

So what's the timeline here? When the stealth and free transactions features are ready? If I understood right, Bytemaster said in the latest hangout that they might be in a same hardfork quite soon.

If we want to use this possibility for focused marketing effort, we need to know only two things:

If we know these as soon as possible, anyone can make marketing plans either together or individually. We don't need to agree on a certain message, but we all need to make the effort at the same time to get the full benefit.

@bytemaster, @Stan would be nice to hear a comment from Cryptonomex on this topic.
IMOH(!) ... CNX is only a software provider for BitShares and nothing more. They probably won't and shouldn't be able to *just* decide on bumping the version number.
As they are merely the technological providers for BitShares, the marketing side of things has to be done by other parties (and it should be as we all know how well

How come we have a decentralized network, decentralized community, decentralized exchange but not decentralized marketing yet?!?

We have a perfectly working decentralize marketing program. Can't you see. When it is decentralized there's no one person entity that can be held accountable for results which means there is no way to measure results. Decentralize means efforts can't been focus properly so we get what we have.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
We got that fixed today .. take a look at bitshares.org ..

Thanks, the way it was just seemed some fancy words together to sound cool. It was trying too hard.

A few screenshots would be nice though.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline infovortice2013

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BitShares en español
  • BitShares: traderx
The truth is we all get bogged down in details of bitshares. We need a simple clear message with no details.

bitshares can do many things but the core product is that it is a decentralised exchange.

The front page of our website should say     "Bitshares is a fully decentralised exchange"

Right now it says:
BitShares is an industrial-grade financial blockchain smart contracts platform.
Built using the latest in industry research, BitShares 2.0 delivers
a decentralized financial platform with speeds approaching** NASDAQ.

WTF does this even mean?

research for money comming from out cryptoworld i think
New Keyoteeid: 5rUhuLCDWUA2FStkKVRTWYEqY1mZhwpfVdRmYEvMRFRD1bqYAL
new08/21 id 5Sjf3LMuYPSeNnjLYXmAoHj5Z6TPCmwmfXD6XwDmg27dwfQ

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
We got that fixed today .. take a look at bitshares.org ..

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
The truth is we all get bogged down in details of bitshares. We need a simple clear message with no details.

bitshares can do many things but the core product is that it is a decentralised exchange.

The front page of our website should say     "Bitshares is a fully decentralised exchange"

Right now it says:

WTF does this even mean?

yes, completely agree  +5%

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
    • twitter.com/jonnybitcoin

Right now it says:

WTF does this even mean?
I run the @bitshares twitter handle
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
There are no flowers by their bedside, no teddy bears and no cards with well wishes ... just complaints and negative feedback telling them how they should have done more for the rest of you while they lay on their death bed.

Sorry if my message was too negative. I just tried to give constructive criticism.

The point is that marketing of Bitshares hasn't been working so far. It's really hard to get people's attention nowadays and it's getting harder all the time. While I really appreciate the effort that you are doing, I have to say that it's not usually enough. Results are the only thing that matter here. If there are no likes, clicks and comments, content hasn't been valuable and something has to change. It is through continuous trial and error how the formula is found that gives results.

Nobody should think that they are entitled to have people's attention just because they say "bitshares". Attention has to be earned.

I think we have to go to basics first. Explain very clearly what exactly Bitshares is, how does it work, for what it can be used for and what makes it valuable. Newbies don't have any clue about these things. Many people even here on this forum have some gaps in their understanding of the system. When you can explain how beautiful this system really is, marketing is much easier. People come to look for information all by themselves, without us needing to actively reach for them. That is something we need to aim for.

Offline Flor

• View Profile
Why Bitshares hasn't it's own big show ? DEVCON1 had probably a great impact on the Ethereum buzz in media and crypto community. First one (or second if the 0 edition matter) was held in the heart of London then DEVCON2 will be hold in China with major price catalyst to be expected.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 04:09:45 pm by Flor »

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

This is better. Hangout recordings and transcripts are probably really valuable to some people. But this has also the problem of not having much really original content. No blog posts that are thoughtfully written and give "whoa, this is really good stuff, I have to link this to all my friends!" feelings to people.

"Ok, here is some straight and honest feedback:"

This community has about 5-10 members that will consistently click and upvote a post on reddit.

This community has about 3-5 members that will simply click retweet a tweet.

This community has 1-2 members that will Plus1 a Google+ post.

OC cost $ or time, and this community rarely (if ever) donates to people/groups trying to promote BitShares, mostly out of their own pocket(s).

Hangout transcripts cost $60 - $120 USD each or days of time and transcripts are OC, in the sense that you don't see them anywhere else, except the one other site I posted them to (on my time) after paying for them out of my own pocket.

I am very thankful for the Brownie Points from Dan via fuzzy that covered a small portion of my expenses to do so and the donations from around 10 community members from time to time after that supplemental funding ended, but that minimal support too has ended for the most part.

The point is, OC is expensive over time and the community by and large does not help promote this OC or for the most part any post about BitShares by simply clicking a link/button, much less offer any supplemental monetary support for these contributions and/or time.

But Tuck, what about a Worker Proposal? 

Yeah, that was brought up with "BitShares News" a few weeks ago but I discouraged them from persuing one due to the communities attitude towards workers (see various threads on this forum) and the lack of support shown for anyone attempting to market BitShares.

There's plenty of criticism dished out (see various post by community members on this forum), but very little support for the time given by those trying to help on the BitShares marketing front.

And these people trying to market BitShares asked for nothing up front (like some others who were paid handsomely and ran <cough>), but instead did the work then hoped even a few people would simply upvote/retweet or Gawd forbid donate for their time and effort.

That simply has not happened on a worthwhile scale or anywhere close to it.

Take a gander at the Ethereum subreddit and see how many upvotes a simple post gets.

Now go compare that to the most upvoted post of all time on the BitShares subreddit.

Do you see where I'm going with this? 

I think you do, so I won't bother spelling it out (even though part of me wants to, just to rub it in with some salt). ;)

In my opinion (which has had about 9 months of trying to market BitShares to think it over) ultimately the lack of community participation (a simple upvote, retweet, Plus1, etc), complaining and negative feedback instead of positive support will pretty much kill off any efforts to market BitShares by people trying to do so on their own time or own $.

Any BitShares marketing in the future will most likely come from paid articles (see CCEDK), which have far less effect on the general public ... because it's a paid article and everyone knows it.

The days of people giving up their time and money to promote BitShares from their heart is currently on life support and no one's visiting them in ICU.

There are no flowers by their bedside, no teddy bears and no cards with well wishes ... just complaints and negative feedback telling them how they should have done more for the rest of you while they lay on their death bed.

Some cold stone truth right there.

I do my part to like posts in facebook.. all the others mentions though I am just not active in so I must confess I am among those that have not helped out on those either.

If you were posting to facebook though I been like/wow/loving it all the time. :) If you are already there then I must have missed it so please share the link.

Your point though that is well and clear is that the expectation of people to continue to promote bitshares for free so that a bunch of ingrates can crack a whip and blame you for why they are not richer is just not a sustainable model.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Tuck Fheman

This is better. Hangout recordings and transcripts are probably really valuable to some people. But this has also the problem of not having much really original content. No blog posts that are thoughtfully written and give "whoa, this is really good stuff, I have to link this to all my friends!" feelings to people.

"Ok, here is some straight and honest feedback:"

This community has about 5-10 members that will consistently click and upvote a post on reddit.

This community has about 3-5 members that will simply click retweet a tweet.

This community has 1-2 members that will Plus1 a Google+ post.

OC cost $ or time, and this community rarely (if ever) donates to people/groups trying to promote BitShares, mostly out of their own pocket(s).

Hangout transcripts cost $60 - $120 USD each or days of time and transcripts are OC, in the sense that you don't see them anywhere else, except the one other site I posted them to (on my time) after paying for them out of my own pocket.

I am very thankful for the Brownie Points from Dan via fuzzy that covered a small portion of my expenses to do so and the donations from around 10 community members from time to time after that supplemental funding ended, but that minimal support too has ended for the most part.

The point is, OC is expensive over time and the community by and large does not help promote this OC or for the most part any post about BitShares by simply clicking a link/button, much less offer any supplemental monetary support for these contributions and/or time.

But Tuck, what about a Worker Proposal? 

Yeah, that was brought up with "BitShares News" a few weeks ago but I discouraged them from persuing one due to the communities attitude towards workers (see various threads on this forum) and the lack of support shown for anyone attempting to market BitShares.

There's plenty of criticism dished out (see various post by community members on this forum), but very little support for the time given by those trying to help on the BitShares marketing front.

And these people trying to market BitShares asked for nothing up front (like some others who were paid handsomely and ran <cough>), but instead did the work then hoped even a few people would simply upvote/retweet or Gawd forbid donate for their time and effort.

That simply has not happened on a worthwhile scale or anywhere close to it.

Take a gander at the Ethereum subreddit and see how many upvotes a simple post gets.

Now go compare that to the most upvoted post of all time on the BitShares subreddit.

Do you see where I'm going with this? 

I think you do, so I won't bother spelling it out (even though part of me wants to, just to rub it in with some salt). ;)

In my opinion (which has had about 9 months of trying to market BitShares to think it over) ultimately the lack of community participation (a simple upvote, retweet, Plus1, etc), complaining and negative feedback instead of positive support will pretty much kill off any efforts to market BitShares by people trying to do so on their own time or own $.

Any BitShares marketing in the future will most likely come from paid articles (see CCEDK), which have far less effect on the general public ... because it's a paid article and everyone knows it.

The days of people giving up their time and money to promote BitShares from their heart is currently on life support and no one's visiting them in ICU.

Lucksacks.com - The Largest Cryptocurrency Freeroll Poker Site in the World!

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
What kind of group working tools do you prefer? Is Google docs ok? We need a place where to write all plans, articles etc.

What's the timeline for stealth and free transactions? That would be good to know as soon as possible. No need to be an absolute deadline, but something that we can use as a goal (and move it if needed). @abit, @bytemaster?

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
i'd like to see this community more active on Twitter. building a presence there will help us interact more frequently with traders, crypto enthusiasts, and the over-hyped (but active) fintech crowd.