Author Topic: BitShares and Ethereum - Similarities and Differences  (Read 7128 times)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Bitcoin is just not as volatile as it used to be, hence MPAs are just not in demand like they once were.

Not as volatile, still very volatile, and we might be in a quiet period. If BTC is going anywhere near a globally significant marketcap, we're still thousands of percent off the mark.

Personally I still believe in the decentralized exchange idea. People are still using centralized exchanges, e.g. i'm using poloniex, btc-e and bittrex myself, even knowing the incredibly high fault-rate of these things. There is a global market for exchange of not only crypto and fiat derivatives, but other mpa's like gold, and the innumerable stocks and assets that can be tracked given a little volume. It's something I would like to see myself, to globally trade and exchange all kinds of things almost instantly, for practically no fees.

Xeldal

2) BTS committee members need to approve APPs.

In my mind, that is the biggest difference.

You don't need to ask permission to innovate with etherium contracts, with bitshares you do.

As a developer (im not a developer) I would not want to mess with all the fuss and headache required in communicating with a community in order to get approval.   Or spend the time and money on something just to have it refused, pulled out, or ignored.

Etherium allows you to move forward with or without anyone even having heard of you or spoken a word.  Your app/contracts can't be blocked or refused.

I think there is a huge opportunity for BitShares in replicating EVM, because Etherium as I understand it can not match the speed, efficiency, and scalability of BitShares.   If I can run my eth contracts on either network, why would I choose Etherium?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:30:18 pm by Xeldal »

Offline mint chocolate chip

Cool useful apps, such as Augur. Bitcoin is just not as volatile as it used to be, hence MPAs are just not in demand like they once were.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
My suggestion of major points:

1) BTS has speed/tps to replace major global exchanges.
2) BTS committee members need to approve APPs.
3) BTS has self-funded development.

Why ETH is growing so quickly:

1) Social network effect (Meetups etc.)
2) Their initial funding (~5x BTS funding)
3) Consistent message ("Turing complete")
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:10:29 pm by CLains »

Offline CLains

• View Profile
With Ethereum spiking, can we be precise about what makes us part of the same market while being different?

we should see if we can learn anything from the way [ETH] presents their solution.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:08:10 pm by CLains »