Author Topic: Of all the worker projects on the table, making the DEX faster should be #1  (Read 6555 times)

Offline xiahui135

• View Profile
can the wallet choose the fastest node for the users?

Changing node is complex for average people.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
I can appreciate that you as a trader would like to see resources dedicated to squeezing every last drop of performance out of the code, however if you look at the situation objectively it should be clear you have some control over your performance problem - run your own node and stop being (in your words) lazy and (my words) selfish.

if i wanted to run my own node, i'd already be doing it. i want to invest and i want to trade. We would be screwed if the only way to have a decent trading experience were to run your own node. the main point of this thread was to flag the issue to improve the user experience. thankfully, @bytemaster and his team were amazingly responsive and this issue can be put to bed.

Glad it worked out for you and everyone else. Just sayin tho, take action where you can and don't complain if others don't jump in to save you.

As I also said, glad you brought up the issue.

thanks. i didn't mean to sound like i was unproductively complaining. I'm just trying to improve the user experience and will keep on pointing out bugs or other features i think can improve.

Offline Thom

I can appreciate that you as a trader would like to see resources dedicated to squeezing every last drop of performance out of the code, however if you look at the situation objectively it should be clear you have some control over your performance problem - run your own node and stop being (in your words) lazy and (my words) selfish.

if i wanted to run my own node, i'd already be doing it. i want to invest and i want to trade. We would be screwed if the only way to have a decent trading experience were to run your own node. the main point of this thread was to flag the issue to improve the user experience. thankfully, @bytemaster and his team were amazingly responsive and this issue can be put to bed.

Glad it worked out for you and everyone else. Just sayin tho, take action where you can and don't complain if others don't jump in to save you.

As I also said, glad you brought up the issue.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile

Offline bytemaster

this is something I addressed today and should be improved within the next week or two.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

unreadPostsSinceLastVisit

same error referenced in this thread, (now <= tx expiration) has been preventing me from claiming vesting bts for quite some time as well. this could bite us in the market cap someday if it's a common problem we take too long to fix and the fix enables somebody to dump later when they would've dumped earlier.

Offline Thom

Same latency issues today. I'm having a horrible time trying to keep up with the market, adjusting open orders taking far too long per order, some of them timing out bc of the delays. We're a new technology, so i get that we'll have technical growing pains, but this really needs to be a community priority to fix.
Imo as a market maker, you should use your own witness_node.  :P
Good news is that bug mentioned above is solved yesterday, so the speed will be improved after next hard fork.

excellent! looking forward to the increased speed. trying to improve technical performance should be a never ending goal.

eh, you're probably right, i should run my own witness node, but i'm a little lazy with the tech stuff and just like to trade and crunch numbers :)

In a perfect world with all the resources in the world, yes, a dev might be assigned to do this. That's not the situation however. They devs are stretched thin as it is with all the demands placed on them for new features. Bug fixing and reliability should be even higher priority than performance IMO.

Look at all the usability issues raised with the stealth UI implementation for example. I don't think CNX was planning on the UI being as difficult to implement as it has been for them. UI is just not really in their wheelhouse (no offense svk, cass, but you two aren't the whole team).

Regarding the design choice to send redundant data to insure reliability thus causing more network traffic and incurring a performance penalty. That was a choice between reliability and performance that I'm sure there are ways to improve, but the general consensus is that performance of the UI in 2.0 using websockets is orders of magnitude greater than it was in the 1.0 era.

Good that you raised the concern tho, which was acknowledged by BM, but also this thread his provided you a solution which may not be the easiest for you to implement, but at least gives you an option you yourself can pursue. xeroc has quite a wealth of documentation on how to setup your own witness node. Check it out & give it a whirl. You might be surprised how easy it is and how much faster it may make your trades.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
I have experienced some of these performance issues as well... they can certainly be fixed.

that would be wonderful  +5%

Offline bytemaster

I have experienced some of these performance issues as well... they can certainly be fixed.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
ugh yeah i'm having the hardest time trying to get in a last bunch of orders for the night. it's taking me way too long to do this, far too many timed out orders.

Offline xiahui135

• View Profile

in case anyone's wondering why there's practically no order book in the BTC-BTS market, i haven't been able to place a single trade for the last 15 minutes; now i'm giving up for the evening and heading out. same for SILVER; i had a half dozen trades execute, but now i can't re-load new ones with these issues.

I have the same problem for the last several hours.

Offline xiahui135

• View Profile
I agree , the dex speed should be improved.
I can not place orders or send bts on windows lite wallet. It is so slow!

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
in case anyone's wondering why there's practically no order book in the BTC-BTS market, i haven't been able to place a single trade for the last 15 minutes; now i'm giving up for the evening and heading out. same for SILVER; i had a half dozen trades execute, but now i can't re-load new ones with these issues.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
Same latency issues today. I'm having a horrible time trying to keep up with the market, adjusting open orders taking far too long per order, some of them timing out bc of the delays. We're a new technology, so i get that we'll have technical growing pains, but this really needs to be a community priority to fix.
Imo as a market maker, you should use your own witness_node.  :P
Good news is that bug mentioned above is solved yesterday, so the speed will be improved after next hard fork.

excellent! looking forward to the increased speed. trying to improve technical performance should be a never ending goal.

eh, you're probably right, i should run my own witness node, but i'm a little lazy with the tech stuff and just like to trade and crunch numbers :)