Author Topic: PTS and NRS GPU Miner PtsGPUz v0.5b for Windows(GTX 750Ti~820cpm)  (Read 135036 times)

Offline earthbound

• View Profile
    • earthbound.io
Re: ProtoShares CUDA GPU Miner Windows 32bit binary version
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 10:56:55 pm »
The adage gets a bit stretched when it comes to digital theft; especially if you never planed to buy the movie if you couldn't down load it...but I'm sure some folks download vs bought.

Refusing to engage in commerce on the basis of refusing to give others their due (or, more accurately, insisting on getting something for nothing) = greed = same driving principle (often) behind theft = same diff. I don't see a difference, and I don't think that's stretching it.
I think I'm not alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless dominion of our solar system. -Jack Handey

Offline r05

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 10:52:45 pm »
[I see your point. I think it's a sweeping statement and there are exceptions to the rule but on the whole - I think you've got some ground there. :) Especially when it comes to commercial entities offering normally paid-for services gratis.

Agreed.  Like most clever sayings (I got that one from one of those demotivational posters, I'm not that clever) it's best not to think too much on it :).
Ha absolutely.
If I have helped you, please consider buying me a beer:
PTS: PZ6ZED8q1i7nQqnZiwFHdgLMELi3sgpnzL
BTC: 1CPF64k1AraWAUiDSh2QthRhbtJJznzRtw

Offline Riverhead

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 10:44:16 pm »
[I see your point. I think it's a sweeping statement and there are exceptions to the rule but on the whole - I think you've got some ground there. :) Especially when it comes to commercial entities offering normally paid-for services gratis.

Agreed.  Like most clever sayings (I got that one from one of those demotivational posters, I'm not that clever) it's best not to think too much on it :).

Offline r05

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014, 10:34:22 pm »
If you're getting something for free you'd otherwise need to pay for you're not the customer you're the product.
So if I opt to download a movie that was released on DVD instead of paying for it from Amazon, then I have become that DVD?!

If you do the right kind of drug you may feel that way  :D [size=78%]. [/size]

Google doesn't provide folks Gmail for free out of the goodness of their heart.  They're scraping keywords from email to sell targeted ad opportunities.  You're not their customer you're their product they sell to advertisers.  You can extend that concept to just about everything of value you get for "free".

Usually harmless, sometimes nefarious.  I just feel it's worth trying to understand the motivation behind someone giving me something for "free".  Especially someone offering up a binary for folks to run as their first post :).

In the case of your downloaded movie: someone had to take the time to rip it, encode it, and publish it.  Why would they do this?  Perhaps the reason is as simple as they hate the MPAA, and frankly that's not hard, and feel their work is taking money out of MPAA's pocket.  In that case you're no so much the product but the tool but the bottom line is they didn't do it for you and the cost is that if enough revenue is lost in this fashion less movies will be produced.  Unlikely, but that's just the first scenario I came up with in the 30 seconds I've thought about the cost of your "free" movie.  The adage gets a bit stretched when it comes to digital theft; especially if you never planed to buy the movie if you couldn't down load it...but I'm sure some folks download vs bought.
I see your point. I think it's a sweeping statement and there are exceptions to the rule but on the whole - I think you've got some ground there. :) Especially when it comes to commercial entities offering normally paid-for services gratis.

Offline Riverhead

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014, 10:29:48 pm »
If you're getting something for free you'd otherwise need to pay for you're not the customer you're the product.
So if I opt to download a movie that was released on DVD instead of paying for it from Amazon, then I have become that DVD?!

If you do the right kind of drug you may feel that way  :D [size=78%]. [/size]

Google doesn't provide folks Gmail for free out of the goodness of their heart.  They're scraping keywords from email to sell targeted ad opportunities.  You're not their customer you're their product they sell to advertisers.  You can extend that concept to just about everything of value you get for "free".

Usually harmless, sometimes nefarious.  I just feel it's worth trying to understand the motivation behind someone giving me something for "free".  Especially someone offering up a binary for folks to run as their first post :).

In the case of your downloaded movie: someone had to take the time to rip it, encode it, and publish it.  Why would they do this?  Perhaps the reason is as simple as they hate the MPAA, and frankly that's not hard, and feel their work is taking money out of MPAA's pocket.  In that case you're no so much the product but the tool but the bottom line is they didn't do it for you and the cost is that if enough revenue is lost in this fashion less movies will be produced.  Unlikely, but that's just the first scenario I came up with in the 30 seconds I've thought about the cost of your "free" movie.  The adage gets a bit stretched when it comes to digital theft; especially if you never planed to buy the movie if you couldn't down load it...but I'm sure some folks download vs bought.

Offline r05

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 09:42:50 pm »

Offline slothlike

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 09:36:29 pm »
Can you please add in a quick command line option to select the cuda device this runs on, ie -d 0 or -d1.  Right now it only runs on device 0.

Offline abc123

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 05:20:37 pm »
hoping for a sm2.1 version as my gtx 550 can't work on this...
Today I am busy doing other things unrelated to coins. I will try to do this when I received the cards I booked.

Offline draconis

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 03:47:07 pm »
hoping for a sm2.1 version as my gtx 550 can't work on this...

Offline abc123

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 03:29:13 pm »
hope  GPU Miner Windows 64bit binary version  get out!!!
Almost all mining work is done on GPU in my miner, so the mining efficiency of the 64bit binary version is same with 32bit's. As all x86-64 Windows system support 32bit exe file, the release of 64bit binary version makes no sense but to increase confusion. I will release the x86-64 exe file in my new version of this miner. You can test it by yourself then.

Offline thistome

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 06:39:00 am »
hope  GPU Miner Windows 64bit binary version  get out!!!

Offline archit

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 06:19:05 am »
I wish to help you manage it

Offline earthbound

• View Profile
    • earthbound.io
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 02:00:17 am »
About my nickname: This (abc123) is the only account I have on this site, I registered it only to search posts on this bbs about 50 days ago, and I doesn't think that I will post a topic one day then. Now, I think abc123 is a very rare nickname, which can't be get on most site, so I decide to use it.

Ya gotcha self a deal, Cap'n . . . if I can figure the heck out how to build a release version . . . :)
I think I'm not alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless dominion of our solar system. -Jack Handey

Offline abc123

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 01:51:36 am »
About my nickname: This (abc123) is the only account I have on this site, I registered it only to search posts on this bbs about 50 days ago, and I doesn't think that I will post a topic one day then. Now, I think abc123 is a very rare nickname, which can't be get on most site, so I decide to use it.

Offline dga

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 12:39:53 am »
No offence, but why post it with a newbie account...

with 0 tax ...... so weired

Perhaps after bigger fish.  Running a binary file from an unknown source is probably the most dangerous thing you can do.  At the very least I'd only run this binary on a computer with a throw-away Windows install connected to a completely separate network from my other machines and then only if I felt this binary would return a substantial profit vs other avenues.

I gotta agree with this.

Screw reverse-engineering this. I am not going to try to patch it to mine to some other address--I had thought of establishing a donation address that way, to fund developing an open-source Windows compile (for example by mining five percent of the time to the donation address), but I'm not going to bother. And I am not going to run this executable.

If someone very expert with reverse-engineering/computer forensics wants to make sure this executable does nothing malicious, and/or patch it to mine to a donation address for the purpose I mention, I'd welcome that.

And as an alternative:  If someone wants to team up to make binary builds of my miner that split donation mining between us, I'd be delighted to collaborate.  I don't have the time to maintain the software at the level that makes it really easy to use, but I _do_ have the ability to devise some more speedups to keep it a fast and effective tool.