Author Topic: [SOLVED!] Poloniex is pumping ETH !!! WHY ? (bug or something else?)  (Read 5195 times)

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
PS I still remember the order was about 13 BTC... next time I take a screen shot before I cancel my open orders... (unfortunately these logs are nowhere accessible from my account )

0.02560000 ETH at a price of 500.00000000 BTC   ~13 BTC
500 ETH at a price of 0.02560000 BTC                      ~13 BTC

My 2 cents

Yep, now I am convinced  :)

Offline DestBest

PS I still remember the order was about 13 BTC... next time I take a screen shot before I cancel my open orders... (unfortunately these logs are nowhere accessible from my account )

0.02560000 ETH at a price of 500.00000000 BTC   ~13 BTC
500 ETH at a price of 0.02560000 BTC                      ~13 BTC

My 2 cents
BitShares French ConneXion, le portail francophone BitShares.
BitShares French ConneXion, the BitShares french gateway.
www.bitsharesfcx.com

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
Poloniex gave me a "reasonable" explanation...

Hi Daniel Schwarz,

Logs indicate that you placed an order to sell 0.02560000 ETH at a price of 500.00000000 BTC instead of an order to sell 500 ETH at a price of 0.02560000 BTC.

Best regards,

Tristan D'Agosta
Poloniex Support

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
but if the market value went over your asking price, there's no reason for your ask not executing.

exactly (that was the case)

Offline bitcon

• View Profile
Its possible someone else had an order set for the same price.   if they had their order in before you, they would have had priority over your order.  but if the market value went over your asking price, there's no reason for your ask not executing.

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
I'm thinking you probably misplaced a zero or something.

Its not like with BTS with the 4-5 zeros  :P
and secondly I remember exactly the 12.8 BTC sum on my order  :)

Good call Ander, but I am sure that was not the case!

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
I'm thinking you probably misplaced a zero or something.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
You should have filmed it to expose this. You always have your history though, take a few prints if you don't mind and compare it with the highest price at that time. Do you have any way of proving this?

I opened a ticket to see if they admit it before I expose it with evidences.
They certainly have all the open orders history (when putted, canceled etc.)
I am wondering how they will explain it... well, we will see...

They likelihood of them pumping eth for your order is extremely small. Were you trying to short ETH or just sell your holdings?  Also what type of order did you use? If someone came in with a large buy order to take up a good amount of the order book (ie above your price), the platform may just be trying to fill his order at the same price.  You would have gotten filled at no worse than your original limit price if this was the case.

Highly doubt it is collusion or manipulation.  That would be way to high risk for them to do.

It was a typical sell order on the ETH exchange (not margin account) to sell my existing  holdings.
I did canceled my opened order about 5 minutes after I realized that the prizes are higher than my open order and I saw many transaction filled smoothly from others in the meanwhile higher (0.0260-0.0265 BTC).... no lags not anything... everything seem to be as usual, except my non executed order...

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
You should have filmed it to expose this. You always have your history though, take a few prints if you don't mind and compare it with the highest price at that time. Do you have any way of proving this?

They likelihood of them pumping eth for your order is extremely small.  Were you trying to short ETH or just sell your holdings?  Also what type of order did you use?  If someone came in with a large buy order to take up a good amount of the order book (ie above your price), the platform may just be trying to fill his order at the same price.  You would have gotten filled at no worse than your original limit price if this was the case.

Highly doubt it is collusion or manipulation.  That would be way to high risk for them to do.

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info

Offline Tuck Fheman

I had an open order to sell 500 ETH at 0.0256 BTC

There's a clear buy signal which I've circled here.

If the poloniex-openorder-system don't sell "half" of the ETHers is it not a direct manipulation of ETH price?
Was it a bug or something else happens?
Your thoughts please! Did anybody of you had identical experience?

I had a similar experience in 2013 on BTC-e, that's all I can add.

Stawp selling ETH maybe?

It was perhaps the CoinGawds trying to protect you.  8)

Memory Lane: Remember a few years back on reddit when we had our NXT vs BitShares discussion? Looking back, were either one of us right?  :P
Lucksacks.com - The Largest Cryptocurrency Freeroll Poker Site in the World!

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:43:10 pm by Akado »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info

I had an open order to sell 500 ETH at 0.0256 BTC from yesterday but the platform didn't sell any even the price reached 0.0265 BTC !!!
It was a coincidence that  I was on line at this moment so I canceled my open order and sold manually most of my ethers at 0.0262 BTC.
That trade was of course at my favor but what would happen if I did not took action ? If the poloniex-openorder-system don't sell "half" of the ETHers is it not a direct manipulation of ETH price?
Was it a bug or something else happens?
Your thoughts please! Did anybody of you had identical experience?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 01:26:48 am by liondani »