Author Topic: Transferring accounts between wallets  (Read 2270 times)

Offline testz

I'm trying to transfer some accounts to a new wallet, with a sexier password. Is there some way to achieve this, especially via the GUI?

You can copy and paste the active and owner keys. Be sure that you have backup of both wallets.

Each account has a 2 key (Active key and Owner key), to get them, go to the appropriate account in the Permissions menu, there is a tab the Active Permissions and Owner Permissions (Memo key - you do not need) in Active Permissions and the Owner Permissions pages, click on the image of a small key, window with blue label "show" will appear, click on it, then enter the password from the wallet and you will see the private key (should start with 5 ...) write this key down. For each account, write down the 2 private key (Active Permissions and Owner Permissions).

In another wallet to add the keys go to the settings, Wallet Management Console and click the Import Keys button in the PASTE PRIVATE KEYS insert one by one all the keys recorded earlier. As a result, you have in your wallet will all accounts from the 2nd wallet, check them out - to contain and Active Permissions Owner Permissions keys.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore

Super, I have acquired control. For posterity : I had deleted the active/owner keys from the acquisition-target address, in the target wallet, using the big friendly 'Remove' button, and inserted 'methodise' into both with weight '1'. That gave me control, but didn't recognise the target address as 'mine' in my target wallet.
That's an advanced feature which is not well supported by current wallet. The good news is that even the wallet doesn't show it as "your account", you can still use it normally in most cases e.g. transfer/trade and etc, however  deposit/withdraw doesn't work.
//Update: sorry, I was wrong, it doesn't work that way.
I've now achieved that end by inserting my acquirer owner key into both active/owner keys for the acquisition-target address.

One learning outcome being that using a 'methodise' type alias isn't sufficient for what I was trying to achieve, whereas using the underlying, ugly key is working for me.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 10:06:41 am by abit »
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline Methodise

I'm trying to transfer some accounts to a new wallet, with a sexier password. Is there some way to achieve this, especially via the GUI?
Why don't you simply change the password of your current wallet?

That's good advise, thanks. However, I do have an account with a name I'd like to retain, in a different wallet. It would be nice to consolidate wallets if possible.
First go to the account you want to transfer, permissions menu, copy both active and owner private keys (you have to click on the pub key and click show in both the active and owner permissions tab).

Then go to settings, wallet management console, and change the active wallet to the one in which you want to transfer the above account.
After that click on import keys and paste the two private keys (active and owner) that you copied in the first step

At this point you should have the account in this second wallet too.

NB: the brain key of the second wallet, will not recover the account imported in such a way, so make sure to do a backup of the wallet and do not relay only on the brain key.

Ps: I think the above issue could be "fixed" later if the Gui implements a method to generate new private keys

Super, I have acquired control. For posterity : I had deleted the active/owner keys from the acquisition-target address, in the target wallet, using the big friendly 'Remove' button, and inserted 'methodise' into both with weight '1'. That gave me control, but didn't recognise the target address as 'mine' in my target wallet. I've now achieved that end by inserting my acquirer owner key into both active/owner keys for the acquisition-target address.

One learning outcome being that using a 'methodise' type alias isn't sufficient for what I was trying to achieve, whereas using the underlying, ugly key is working for me.
BTS: methodise

Offline Bhuz

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bhuz

That's good advise, thanks. However, I do have an account with a name I'd like to retain, in a different wallet. It would be nice to consolidate wallets if possible.
First go to the account you want to transfer, permissions menu, copy both active and owner private keys (you have to click on the pub key and click show in both the active and owner permissions tab).

Then go to settings, wallet management console, and change the active wallet to the one in which you want to transfer the above account.
After that click on import keys and paste the two private keys (active and owner) that you copied in the first step

At this point you should have the account in this second wallet too.

NB: the brain key of the second wallet, will not recover the account imported in such a way, so make sure to do a backup of the wallet and do not relay only on the brain key.

Ps: I think the above issue could be "fixed" later if the Gui implements a method to generate new private keys

Offline Methodise

Offline Bhuz

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bhuz

Offline Methodise