Author Topic: DDOS, Hacks & Scams, seriously? - Start Using decentralized exchanges now!  (Read 2665 times)

Offline hcf27

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hcf27
And you really just made it "wrong". As stated yesterday already and as anybody should know going evangelizing: This is only true if you spin up your own API-Server aka. full-Node. As soon as anybody sees fit he will ddos openledger.info into oblivion - and than the Y of X persons that followed your advice will say not so nice things to their trollbox friends.

Just sayin. If we really want to bring out the message big time we have to do it right.

I guess what I was trynig to say is that if OpenLedger gets DDoS for example you can always just import your wallet to another server with different API so your funds are not at risk...

The article doesnt really go into these kind of details, I think BTS has a lot of info and its hard for newbies to digest it.

I plan on making another article on decentralized governance, which is another value proposition of BTS

Sounds good - but please get the facts straight. "Importing the the wallet to another server with different API" is surely not what you want to do.

The DEX-Trader that plays it safe Uses
1. A local Install of the ligth wallet
2. His own API-Server (aka fullnode) he has on azure or locally
3. he puts the address of his API-Server in the ligthwallet Configuration

Something like this.

mmmm I dont get it or mabye I understood something wrong...

If I use openledger I can download a backup of my wallet, so if OpenLedger is DDoS or goes down, I can just get that back up and imported to my light-wallet installed on Linux for example. In fact this is what I have done since I have the same wallet on OL, on my Home Computer (Linux) and on my work computer (Windows).

Offline mudshark79

• View Profile
And you really just made it "wrong". As stated yesterday already and as anybody should know going evangelizing: This is only true if you spin up your own API-Server aka. full-Node. As soon as anybody sees fit he will ddos openledger.info into oblivion - and than the Y of X persons that followed your advice will say not so nice things to their trollbox friends.

Just sayin. If we really want to bring out the message big time we have to do it right.

I guess what I was trynig to say is that if OpenLedger gets DDoS for example you can always just import your wallet to another server with different API so your funds are not at risk...

The article doesnt really go into these kind of details, I think BTS has a lot of info and its hard for newbies to digest it.

I plan on making another article on decentralized governance, which is another value proposition of BTS

Sounds good - but please get the facts straight. "Importing the the wallet to another server with different API" is surely not what you want to do.

The DEX-Trader that plays it safe Uses
1. A local Install of the ligth wallet
2. His own API-Server (aka fullnode) he has on azure or locally
3. he puts the address of his API-Server in the ligthwallet Configuration

Something like this.

Offline hcf27

• View Profile

+5% +5% +5%

reposted on facebook

Thanks! I think blog posts really help.. we also need to have more subscribers on our subreddit but I think we will get there!

Offline hcf27

• View Profile
I would also mention bitAssets as an important advantage over other decentralized exchanges like ripple. What are you going to trade between? You may trade between IOUs (or UIAs), but this puts you at third party risk, same as at centralized exchanges. Or, you may choose a better option, bitAssets.

That is a good point, I will try to create another post and talk about smartcoins.

I already talked about the possibilities of Bitgold here: https://medium.com/@chitty/the-blockchain-of-gold-247814e42c3a#.rmdiqozdq

Offline hcf27

• View Profile

Offline yvv

• View Profile
Does anybody run API server on azure? How much does this cost?

Offline mudshark79

• View Profile

Also I guess there are quite some possibilities to build redundancy into the Light Client also. So that if one API-Server goes down it switches over to the next out of a list of servers that are available und distributed geographically and operated by different entities but have a signature that can be verified by the client that the codebase is not manipulated and whatsoever.

Or they go over to Azure and do the one-button-spin-up, if setting up a full node on it's own is too complicated or lengthy. (which is the case mostly).

Maybe this is already adressed somewhere?

Otherwise  +5%, of course  :-*

Regards

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Offline yvv

• View Profile
I would also mention bitAssets as an important advantage over other decentralized exchanges like ripple. What are you going to trade between? You may trade between IOUs (or UIAs), but this puts you at third party risk, same as at centralized exchanges. Or, you may choose a better option, bitAssets.

Offline hcf27

• View Profile
I tried to lead people to using BTS Exchange without being to frontal about it...

https://medium.com/@chitty/ddos-hacks-scams-seriously-e8628e462083#.lyx12ihaz

I think we should all be writting this kind of blog posts and posting them in reddit and other forums, since we dont have a marketing worker, we should all contribute in getting the word out there.