Author Topic: BitShares vs Ethereum  (Read 19334 times)

Offline bytemaster

Good article: Why your Ethereum project will most likely fail

"Most proposed projects on Ethereum cannot point to a plausible end user benefit which is primarily enabled by being on the platform.
Things like “no middlemen” and “decentralization” are not actual end user benefits, they only potentially generate benefits indirectly. Perhaps even more so than in the Bitcoin space, using the Ethereum platform seems to be a decisive end-goal for people in Ethereum projects, rather than providing a better solution to a real world problem."

I concur with the article. Most "decentralized tech" has minimum value to people who do every-day things. The only place decentralized blockchain tech offers a competitive advantage is in areas burdened by regulation. Remove the regulation and you will find centralized blockchain tech taking over because it has all the benefits without the downsides.

We need solutions that help real people do real things. Until that day, blockchain tech will be a niche that serves the fringes of society and the grey/black markets.

This is why I am interested in MAS.  I think a well implemented MAS can appeal to many more people. Initially on the fringe, but it can grow.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline lakerta06

Major takeaway of that video:

* They name every hardfork differently! Frontier, Homestead, serenity
* Only after Serenity they will work on scalability for 1k to 10k tps
* After that .. they will be up to 1M tps ..
* Ethereum 4.0 brings 'infinity million tps" (WTF?! they either break speed of light or the size of the planet :) ) and maybe privacy
* Casper (the POS consensus) has not yet been proven
* solving the Economic scalability (bad actors shouldn't make a profit) in casper is still unsolved
* cross shard interoperability still unsolved
* shard validation and fees still unsolved

I think they will run into a lot of issues if they do not realize that doing things in parallel results in a lot of overhead.

The video is probably not worth your time, Dan. But it gives a nice overview of their current plans

I will say one thing, their "roadmap" is a perfect hype machine. It gives people hope for a perfect solution to every problem.

My experience with ETH (yes, I actually built it and synced the chain)...

1. I really like the JS console
2. my node got stuck syncing multiple times and had to be restarted
3. my node crashed multiple times.
4. It took me an order of magnitude longer to sync their chain

My take away is that for all of their hype, they are about as stable as the early versions of BTS. That said, I believe hype drives price more than value does.

So when is the hype time for BTS coming?  Somebody make a hype machine worker proposal and I will vote with my 2 bts

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
Good article: Why your Ethereum project will most likely fail

"Most proposed projects on Ethereum cannot point to a plausible end user benefit which is primarily enabled by being on the platform.
Things like “no middlemen” and “decentralization” are not actual end user benefits, they only potentially generate benefits indirectly. Perhaps even more so than in the Bitcoin space, using the Ethereum platform seems to be a decisive end-goal for people in Ethereum projects, rather than providing a better solution to a real world problem."

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile

* Ethereum 4.0 brings 'infinity million tps" (WTF?! they either break speed of light or the size of the planet :) ) and maybe privacy
* solving the Economic scalability (bad actors shouldn't make a profit) in casper is still unsolved

I think they will run into a lot of issues if they do not realize that doing things in parallel results in a lot of overhead.

The video is probably not worth your time, Dan. But it gives a nice overview of their current plans

I will say one thing, their "roadmap" is a perfect hype machine. It gives people hope for a perfect solution to every problem.

My take away is that for all of their hype, they are about as stable as the early versions of BTS. That said, I believe hype drives price more than value does.

You just believe it now ?
I thought after the comparison of BTS went to all time hight at August 2014 with a barely functional wallet and the hint of big thing , and  BTS down to all time low with a much better version , you would know it already .
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline bytemaster

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline bytemaster

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains

Offline prophetx

• View Profile
unacceptable uses include using the EVM as a file storage, email or text messaging system, anything to do with graphical interfaces, and applications best suited for cloud computing like genetic algorithms, graph analysis or machine learning.

There would be less of a difference when bitshares eventually implement a compatible EVM.

honestly I am surprised no one on the development team looked into the possibilities last year.  but better late then never.

it will be much easier for bitshares to get fin services users with that bolted on ...

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
unacceptable uses include using the EVM as a file storage, email or text messaging system, anything to do with graphical interfaces, and applications best suited for cloud computing like genetic algorithms, graph analysis or machine learning.

There would be less of a difference when bitshares eventually implement a compatible EVM.
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
https://github.com/ethereum/wiki/wiki/Ethereum-Development-Tutorial

At least BTS can do text messaging?
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline lovejoy

• View Profile
    • Cryptofresh
  • BitShares: lovejoy
this summer

Do I sense another exciting edition of "BitShares Summer Announcements" on the horizon? tbh those "Winter Storm Warnings" just weren't doing it for me...

:P

I prefer we all go out and actively try to get people to join our little motley crew instead of asking when others will make it happen. 

If anyone wants to know the "secret sauce" it literally comes down to us all doing as much as we can and trying to not lose focus of what WE can do to help (as opposed to getting upset about others' failures while they are throwing their hat in the ring. 

Love you @btswildpig but seriously bro, has every single thing you have worked on worked out?  I assure you it hasn't.  Unfortunately for Stan, he is in the position where he has to show people the possibilities without  making promises because complete silence will be taken as "nothing is going on".  So I for one am very happy he comes on and gives us the updates of what could "potentially" be on the horizon.  I mean look how little the community knows about PLAY and MUSE these days...  And I assure you that silence has many in the community too concerned to buy in.  So which has been more valuable I guess is the question.  If silence was, then I'd imagine MUSE and PLAY would be higher substantially than BTS.

According to CFA guidelines which I have been reading lately , suggesting people what the price of a speculative/investment object will be by a person at a unique position constitutes potential misrepresentation .
You can predict price , he can't . There might be consequence someday if the space is more regulated .

schooled on regulation.  My oh my how it strangles the invigorating contest for freedom and innovation *sigh*.  I must certainly agree that these are potential issues...

We are all in unique positions.

Offline fuzzy

this summer

Do I sense another exciting edition of "BitShares Summer Announcements" on the horizon? tbh those "Winter Storm Warnings" just weren't doing it for me...

I prefer we all go out and actively try to get people to join our little motley crew instead of asking when others will make it happen. 

If anyone wants to know the "secret sauce" it literally comes down to us all doing as much as we can and trying to not lose focus of what WE can do to help (as opposed to getting upset about others' failures while they are throwing their hat in the ring. 

Love you @btswildpig but seriously bro, has every single thing you have worked on worked out?  I assure you it hasn't.  Unfortunately for Stan, he is in the position where he has to show people the possibilities without  making promises because complete silence will be taken as "nothing is going on".  So I for one am very happy he comes on and gives us the updates of what could "potentially" be on the horizon.  I mean look how little the community knows about PLAY and MUSE these days...  And I assure you that silence has many in the community too concerned to buy in.  So which has been more valuable I guess is the question.  If silence was, then I'd imagine MUSE and PLAY would be higher substantially than BTS.

According to CFA guidelines which I have been reading lately , suggesting people what the price of a speculative/investment object will be by a person at a unique position constitutes potential misrepresentation .
You can predict price , he can't . There might be consequence someday if the space is more regulated .

schooled on regulation.  My oh my how it strangles the invigorating contest for freedom and innovation *sigh*.  I must certainly agree that these are potential issues...
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
this summer

这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline fuzzy

this summer

I prefer we all go out and actively try to get people to join our little motley crew instead of asking when others will make it happen (not saying you are advocating sitting on our asses, btw). 

If anyone wants to know the "secret sauce" that will make us fly it literally comes down to us all doing as much as we can and trying to not lose focus of what WE can do to help (as opposed to getting upset about others' failures while they are throwing their hat in the ring). 

Love you @btswildpig but seriously bro, has every single thing you have worked on worked out?  I assure you it hasn't for any of us.  Unfortunately for Stan, he is in the position where he has to show people the possibilities without  making promises because complete silence will be taken as "nothing is going on".  So I for one am very happy he comes on and gives us the updates of what could "potentially" be on the horizon.  I mean look how little the community knows about PLAY and MUSE these days...  And I assure you that silence has many in the community too concerned to buy in.  So which has been more valuable I guess is the question.  If silence was, then I'd imagine MUSE and PLAY would be higher substantially than BTS but I have been wrong before!  If you don't believe me...ask my wife!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 03:34:38 am by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D