Author Topic: $5000 Bounty - Momentum Proof-of-Work Hacking [PAID]  (Read 54064 times)

Offline tromp

• View Profile
Just to sum things up, is momentum (or the enhanced version) still resistent to GPU mining?

So far I believe it is the most GPU resistant algorithm.

I believe the new Cuckoo Cycle proof-of-work is more GPU resistant, since it doesn't allow
for any time-memory trade-off. See https://github.com/tromp/cuckoo
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:16:40 pm by tromp »

Offline 5chdn

• i wonder how many chars i can put in this field 50
    • View Profile
    • Votesapp
  • GitHub: 5chdn
Just to sum things up, is momentum (or the enhanced version) still resistent to GPU mining?

I think the quest for prime chains in Primecoin is the most GPU-resistant algorithm as they calculate with pure integers.

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Bitcoinfan

• View Profile

Offline bytemaster

So, is a gpu miner for PTS still in the works? Surprised it hasn't been released yet since MMC has a GPU miner now.

We are not building one, rumors indicate one may exist in the wild and that it is 3-4x faster than a CPU but that is all I know.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline SpeedDemon13

• View Profile
So, is a gpu miner for PTS still in the works? Surprised it hasn't been released yet since MMC has a GPU miner now.

Offline AnonyMint

• View Profile
Thanks. So to clarify, the reason I didn't build a gpu miner and go for the $5000 is I didn't think it was most helpful to bytemaster nor to myself. A cpu-only coin needs a very different structure that is afaics incompatible with the need for a fast hash. So I shared my thoughts and left the $5000 for someone who might provide more help for maximizing benefits for bytemaster. I didn't want to expend so much effort and then end up disappointed or arguing, especially that is not enough to get me so excited. I am busy working on my own project(s) that is most exciting for me. Yet I did try to share and help in a small way. Thanks again for the tip.

Perhaps bytemaster and gigawatt will find some way to leverage the on die AGPU + CPU or otherwise keep the GPU at minimal advantage to the CPU. The main goal is for the GPU to not have a huge performance/watt advantage.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:11:06 am by AnonyMint »

Offline bytemaster

Hahaha. You will soon see how incorrect that selfish appraisal is. As well, you reneged on what you already said you would do, which was send a tip. And I told you, I didn't care the amount, only the gesture.

But this is fine, because it is excellent motivation for what you will soon see.

Tip paid.

Confirmed. Thank you. Favor returned here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=339902.msg3646754#msg3646754

Gpu miner still matters because perhaps if he thought deeply about the information I gave him, he could eliminate gpus, if that is desirable. Yet all my work on  a CPU-only miner, I can't get the hash to be fast enough for what I think bytemaster needs in his design.

What is the slowest hash your design can tolerate?

Where you able to defeat gpus with Gigawatt's help?

Not having a gpu miner doesn't mean someone won't have one and thus this is very risky unless you've proven it can't run faster on a gpu. So the way I presented thinking about it, is very important I think. But I don't know what Gigawatt has come up with.

To recap, either you provide a gpu miner to all, or you prove beyond any reasonable doubt that no one can make one. That is very important I think. But you may have other priorities?

Someone is being paid to attempt to build a GPU miner.  If they are successful I will know about it and will then let the forum know and will open source it. 

Offline AnonyMint

• View Profile
Hahaha. You will soon see how incorrect that selfish appraisal is. As well, you reneged on what you already said you would do, which was send a tip. And I told you, I didn't care the amount, only the gesture.

But this is fine, because it is excellent motivation for what you will soon see.

Tip paid.

Confirmed. Thank you. Favor returned here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=339902.msg3646754#msg3646754

Gpu miner still matters because perhaps if he thought deeply about the information I gave him, he could eliminate gpus, if that is desirable. Yet all my work on  a CPU-only miner, I can't get the hash to be fast enough for what I think bytemaster needs in his design.

What is the slowest hash your design can tolerate?

Where you able to defeat gpus with Gigawatt's help?

Not having a gpu miner doesn't mean someone won't have one and thus this is very risky unless you've proven it can't run faster on a gpu. So the way I presented thinking about it, is very important I think. But I don't know what Gigawatt has come up with.

To recap, either you provide a gpu miner to all, or you prove beyond any reasonable doubt that no one can make one. That is very important I think. But you may have other priorities?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 03:08:35 am by AnonyMint »

Offline bytemaster

bytemaster

As we see a lowered memory requirement for mining and possibility of a gpu miner are there any changes planned to the basis of momentum algorithm?

I am working with Gigawatt on some enhancements.

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
bytemaster

As we see a lowered memory requirement for mining and possibility of a gpu miner are there any changes planned to the basis of momentum algorithm?

Offline barwizi

• Noirbits, NoirShares, NoirEx.....lol, noir anyone?
    • View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org
I think a gpu implementation is still a relevant idea. though if kept private it would further skew the distribution of PTS
--Bar--  PiNEJGUv4AZVZkLuF6hV4xwbYTRp5etWWJ

The magical land of crypto, no freebies people.

Offline bytemaster

Tip paid.

Offline iruu

• View Profile
@AnonyMint at this point gpu miner isn't going to prove anything really

Offline AnonyMint

• View Profile