Author Topic: [ANN] [STEEM] Introducing Steem, Looking for Witnesses / Miners  (Read 115141 times)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
I like the new platform, but still feel left out due to that ags issue. No ags > no graphene > no steemit.

This statement is completely false.
All AGS was able to do is get to BitShares 0.9.3c, with Vote, DNS, Play, and Muse all sucking wind looking for funding.  Yet to this day AGS holders are still gaining vesting BTS shares.

The Cryptonomex team spent a whole year developing Graphene on its own sweat equity .  Yet, still gave it all away to the community.

Then we spun off Steemit with new players and their new sweat equity building on Graphene but nothing that was originally funded by PTS/AGS/BTS.

Now Cryptonomex is working to do even more for this community with even more resources that do not come from BTS, AGS, or PTS.

I don't know what it takes to earn trust around here, but I am not impressed with the entitlement attitudes that imply we can never do enough.

How about delivering something to the BTS community instead of just "new investment opportunities".  I think everyone here has had enough of buying the next best thing (AGS/PTS/DNS/Brownies/BTS0.9/BTS2/Steem).

There were constant pump posts to buy bts based on "summer announcements" that never came to fruition.  Investors here feel like they were promised business development, but when everything fell through Bytemaster just jumped ship to a new platform.  It didn't help that he promoted doing sharedrops and abandoned this on the first new chain that he created.

You are saying CNX is doing things behind the scenes, but that has been the story for the last year... Nothing has been seen or delivered other than 2.0 itself.  This would all be cleared up if CNX created a worker proposal for a collateralized bond market or maker taker.

...and that's why I no longer publish details about what we are working on.  90% of all leads fail.  I tried sharing this stuff with you but all I got were posts like this.    Now you'll just have to wait and be surprised.

Then why did you even ask what it takes to earn trust around here?

I'm guessing you knew what the answer would be.  Why not comment on the idea of doing a worker proposal?

It was a rhetorical question.

Proposals are based in part on what resources are available to work on them.
Resources are hired based on the availability of stable funding.
A constant battle over who controls the funding light switch means no one dares hire against any line item.
So the resources remain allocated elsewhere

:)

Besides, there is more than one way to skin a cat.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 08:21:31 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
And the main reason people don't trust CNX is that they took bitshares from a market cap of $100 million down to $7 million under their leadership.  That's a really easy way to piss off investors.  Having the "leader" (which Dan said his New Years resolution was to become a better leader for BTS) bail after cutting the market cap by 90% and inflating the supply all while alienating the Chinese community probably didn't help either.

It's really not that difficult to see why so many here have lost faith in CNX.  But like I said, if CNX actually delivers something the perception might all change.  It's a "what have you done for me lately" world.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
I like the new platform, but still feel left out due to that ags issue. No ags > no graphene > no steemit.

All AGS was able to do is get to BitShares 0.9.3c, with Vote, DNS, Play, and Muse all sucking wind looking for funding.  Yet to this day AGS holders are still gaining vesting BTS shares.

The Cryptonomex team spent a whole year developing Graphene on its own sweat equity .  Yet, still gave it all away to the community.

Then we spun off Steemit with new players and their new sweat equity building on Graphene but nothing that was originally funded by PTS/AGS/BTS.

Now Cryptonomex is working to do even more for this community with even more resources that do not come from BTS, AGS, or PTS.

I don't know what it takes to earn trust around here, but I am not impressed with the entitlement attitudes that imply we can never do enough.

How about delivering something to the BTS community instead of just "new investment opportunities".  I think everyone here has had enough of buying the next best thing (AGS/PTS/DNS/Brownies/BTS0.9/BTS2/Steem).

There were constant pump posts to buy bts based on "summer announcements" that never came to fruition.  Investors here feel like they were promised business development, but when everything fell through Bytemaster just jumped ship to a new platform.  It didn't help that he promoted doing sharedrops and abandoned this on the first new chain that he created.

You are saying CNX is doing things behind the scenes, but that has been the story for the last year... Nothing has been seen or delivered other than 2.0 itself.  This would all be cleared up if CNX created a worker proposal for a collateralized bond market or maker taker.

...and that's why I no longer publish details about what we are working on.  90% of all leads fail.  I tried sharing this stuff with you but all I got were posts like this.    Now you'll just have to wait and be surprised.

Then why did you even ask what it takes to earn trust around here?

I'm guessing you knew what the answer would be.  Why not comment on the idea of doing a worker proposal?

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

The Cryptonomex team spent a whole year developing Graphene on its own sweat equity .  Yet, still gave it all away to the community to enable BitShares 2.0 - reengineered from the ground up.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 06:27:12 pm by Stan »

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
No abrupt pivot in focus.  Dan has been transparently discussing ways to stay in business since last fall.
This has been part of the plan for six months and everyone here has been kept in the loop every step of the way.
Read my posts since March 14th, here and on Steemit if you don't want to be caught by surprise.

Stan - thank you for your response. I've now invested the necessary time to go back through your posts as well as Dan's over the past six months as recommended. I have also investigated Steemit as thoroughly as possible, though I don't use Facebook, Twitter etc. so the social media thing is a little above my paygrade.

To be frank, what I found was disappointing.

Steemit was announced 01-April (current thread) and Dan's last post was 02-May. Cold turkey, nothing since. After years of engagement with this community and nearly 10,000 posts authored I think it is reasonable to call Dan's pivot abrupt in the extreme.

I agree there is a lot of good commentary on the need to raise capital and the community was made aware that new sources of funding are needed. However, at no point do I see "Dan will be shelving Bitshares on 02-May to focus on Steemit; here is the handoff strategy; here is the roadmap". Nor do I see a commitment or any indication that funds raised through Steemit will be used to further development of Bitshares.

Now, Steemit. As an investor I want to invest - the execution is incredible and the platform has real potential as The Next Big Thing, and not just in the crypto space. Dan is a brilliant developer/programmer/strategist/creator and Steemit is his finest work to date. It is going to take me a while to wrap my head around the possibilities the platform offers, but at first blush it appears to be the killer app for crypto.  Steemit may well bring crypto to the masses.

As an AGS/PTS investor I am livid. Apoplectic. Here's what I see:

Steem = Bitshares

Steem dollars = bitUSD

Steem power =  +5% (yield)

Steemit is the best of Bitshares packaged with a big social media bow on top. The back-end tech that makes Steemit such an incredibly user friendly and accessible crypto platform was built for Bitshares and funded by AGS/PTS. There is no world in which Steemit exists without AGS/PTS investment and the dedication and hardwork of the Bitshares community.

This is where I would pull Dan into my office, tell him to look me in the eye, and ask him to explain why AGS/PTS/Brownies have not received a share drop. I am truly stunned that there is not even a blog post on the topic. Dan would not be where he is today without the investment and support of this community.

"There were posts, you could have mined, you were invited." "The developers do not owe you and you are not entitled". This is mildly insulting. There are dozens of exciting projects related to Bitshares and it is unreasonable/impractical to expect investors to follow all projects and participate in all ICO/pre-mines. The AGS/PTS 'social contract' was created specifically to address this issue - and we all invested so we would not need to chase ICOs/pre-mines and could instead participate in future projects via share drop.

Why are there not pitchforks and torches in the streets? Why are the lead devs and forum heroes not demanding answers? It appears the majority of the core Bitshares dev team have become very enthusiastic Steemit "dolphins" and "whales" over the past few weeks.  It is absolutely fantastic to see some of our most dedicated, hard working community members hit the 1000% crypto ride we've all been chasing. But a very small percentage of the overall community has benefited.

There is a mailing list. Why was there not an email sent out? Why so little outreach? For something as critical as the lead dev pivoting to another project a clear, concise letter to the community would have been appropriate. Sometime in mid-March: "Dear investor, starting in May, Dan is going to park Bitshares for the foreseeable future and focus on developing Steemit. Steemit uses all of the good things that were built for Bitshares, but is packaged for the majority of internet users (social media) rather than a minority of internet users (investors/finance). There will be no share drop on AGS/PTS/Brownies and investment is via pre-mine only. Here is the road map for the next 12 months." Guidance and forward-looking statements would have resulted in a larger percentage of the community benefiting.

So where do we go from here? Like it or not, there is no recourse with a social contract except an appeal to honor and justice. I believe this writing serves as an appeal, and I would ask Dan to respond in full. Dan is presumably preoccupied with whomever keeps taking down steemit.com so I don't expect a response in the immediate future.

That being the case, I've been investing long enough to know that we all need to be long Steem Power asap. The train has left the station and many of us don't have a ticket.

The Steem market is far too thin to take a position OTC, I've been trading Bittrex over the past few days and the slippage is absurd. This is intentional, and kudos to Dan and team for absolutely destroying CMC. We were all choked when Ripple gamed CMC and knocked us down, couldn't be happier to see karma kicking ass. But it means we can't dump BTS for STEEM in any quantity. Dealing with the clowns daytrading on Bittrex is very, very stale. Try placing a bid for a block of 5 or 10k STEEM and see what happens.

I don't do social media - at all - but will register an account, post content and lobby the Bitshares dophins/whales to 'upvote. I strongly believe Steem Power to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and all community members should make an effort to get a position by whatever means necessary. Unfortunately, my initial investigation into Steemit 'mining' has left the distinct impression that value seems to flow to makeup tutorials, travelogues, breasts. I do not use make up, do not travel to exotic places in provocative clothing and do not possess attractive breasts. Absent some benevolent whale voters, it seems most of us will be 'mining' with a CPU and competing against ASICs. I found it surprising that there is so much exceptional material posted where the authors have clearly invested substantial effort in producing meaningful, well written content... and earned only a few dollars or nothing at all. Yet a man smearing lipstick on his face was rewarded with thousands. Early days, but wow, it's surprising how the 'block rewards' are being allocated now that the public have been invited to 'mine'.

TL;DR: Appeal to Dan to provide guidance on where AGS/PTS/Brownies stand relative to Steemit. Steem Power is an investment this community should not pass up, but market is too thin to trade into a meaningful position. Mining is possible but only worthwhile if you have nice breasts, funny videos or dophin/whale friends. Bitshares community members should have dolphin/whale friends, so we should 'mine' by contributing as we wait to find out where we stand with Dan.

Best post i've seen in a while  +5% that's pretty much how I feel.

I like the new platform, but still feel left out due to that ags issue. No ags > no graphene > no steemit. Feels like "pulling an Oculus Rift" tbh.

My main issue with this is that I used to trust the team, now I'm not sure if the BitShares platform will end up benefiting from this someday, if the original team still has an interest and passion for BitShares, if they will one day go back and work on it like they did in the past, etc. It's that uncertainty that I don't like.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
No abrupt pivot in focus.  Dan has been transparently discussing ways to stay in business since last fall.
This has been part of the plan for six months and everyone here has been kept in the loop every step of the way.
Read my posts since March 14th, here and on Steemit if you don't want to be caught by surprise.

Stan - thank you for your response. I've now invested the necessary time to go back through your posts as well as Dan's over the past six months as recommended. I have also investigated Steemit as thoroughly as possible, though I don't use Facebook, Twitter etc. so the social media thing is a little above my paygrade.

Steemit was announced 01-April (current thread) and Dan's last post was 02-May. Cold turkey, nothing since. After years of engagement with this community and nearly 10,000 posts authored I think it is reasonable to call Dan's pivot abrupt in the extreme.

I agree there is a lot of good commentary on the need to raise capital and the community was made aware that new sources of funding are needed. However, at no point do I see "Dan will be shelving Bitshares on 02-May to focus on Steemit; here is the handoff strategy; here is the roadmap". Nor do I see a commitment or any indication that funds raised through Steemit will be used to further development of Bitshares.

Now, Steemit. As an investor I want to invest - the execution is incredible and the platform has real potential as The Next Big Thing, and not just in the crypto space. Dan is a brilliant developer/programmer/strategist/creator and Steemit is his finest work to date. It is going to take me a while to wrap my head around the possibilities the platform offers, but at first blush it appears to be the killer app for crypto.  Steemit may well bring crypto to the masses.

Steem = Bitshares

Steem dollars = bitUSD

Steemit is the best of Bitshares packaged with a big social media bow on top. The back-end tech that makes Steemit such an incredibly user friendly and accessible crypto platform was built for Bitshares and funded by AGS/PTS. There is no world in which Steemit exists without AGS/PTS investment and the dedication and hardwork of the Bitshares community.

This is where I would pull Dan into my office, tell him to look me in the eye, and ask him to explain why AGS/PTS/Brownies have not received a share drop. I am truly stunned that there is not even a blog post on the topic. Dan would not be where he is today without the investment and support of this community.

"There were posts, you could have mined, you were invited." "The developers do not owe you and you are not entitled". This is mildly insulting. There are dozens of exciting projects related to Bitshares and it is unreasonable/impractical to expect investors to follow all projects and participate in all ICO/pre-mines. The AGS/PTS 'social contract' was created specifically to address this issue - and we all invested so we would not need to chase ICOs/pre-mines and could instead participate in future projects via share drop.

Why are there not pitchforks and torches in the streets? Why are the lead devs and forum heroes not demanding answers? It appears the majority of the core Bitshares dev team have become very enthusiastic Steemit "dolphins" and "whales" over the past few weeks.  It is absolutely fantastic to see some of our most dedicated, hard working community members hit the 1000% crypto ride we've all been chasing. But a very small percentage of the overall community has benefited.

There is a mailing list. Why was there not an email sent out? Why so little outreach? For something as critical as the lead dev pivoting to another project a clear, concise letter to the community would have been appropriate. Sometime in mid-March: "Dear investor, starting in May, Dan is going to park Bitshares for the foreseeable future and focus on developing Steemit. Steemit uses all of the good things that were built for Bitshares, but is packaged for the majority of internet users (social media) rather than a minority of internet users (investors/finance). There will be no share drop on AGS/PTS/Brownies and investment is via pre-mine only. Here is the road map for the next 12 months." Guidance and forward-looking statements would have resulted in a larger percentage of the community benefiting.

So where do we go from here? Like it or not, there is no recourse with a social contract except an appeal to honor and justice. I believe this writing serves as an appeal, and I would ask Dan to respond in full. Dan is presumably preoccupied with whomever keeps taking down steemit.com so I don't expect a response in the immediate future.

That being the case, I've been investing long enough to know that we all need to be long Steem Power asap. The train has left the station and many of us don't have a ticket.

The Steem market is far too thin to take a position OTC, I've been trading Bittrex over the past few days and the slippage is absurd. This is intentional, and kudos to Dan and team for absolutely destroying CMC. We were all choked when Ripple gamed CMC and knocked us down, couldn't be happier to see karma kicking ass. But it means we can't dump BTS for STEEM in any quantity. Dealing with the clowns daytrading on Bittrex is very, very stale. Try placing a bid for a block of 5 or 10k STEEM and see what happens.

I don't do social media - at all - but will register an account, post content and lobby the Bitshares dophins/whales to 'upvote. I strongly believe Steem Power to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and all community members should make an effort to get a position by whatever means necessary. Unfortunately, my initial investigation into Steemit 'mining' has left the distinct impression that value seems to flow to makeup tutorials, travelogues, breasts. I do not use make up, do not travel to exotic places in provocative clothing and do not possess attractive breasts. Absent some benevolent whale voters, it seems most of us will be 'mining' with a CPU and competing against ASICs. I found it surprising that there is so much exceptional material posted where the authors have clearly invested substantial effort in producing meaningful, well written content... and earned only a few dollars or nothing at all. Yet a man smearing lipstick on his face was rewarded with thousands. Early days, but wow, it's surprising how the 'block rewards' are being allocated now that the public have been invited to 'mine'.

TL;DR: Appeal to Dan to provide guidance on where AGS/PTS/Brownies stand relative to Steemit. Steem Power is an investment this community should not pass up, but market is too thin to trade into a meaningful position. Mining is possible but only worthwhile if you have nice breasts, funny videos or dophin/whale friends. Bitshares community members should have dolphin/whale friends, so we should 'mine' by contributing as we wait to find out where we stand with Dan.

+1

I can't speak for Steemit,
But as for BitShares,
Everything that
can be fixed
will be fixed
when we fix
what we can fix
when we can fix it.

:)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 02:13:11 pm by Stan »

Offline dritz3r

• View Profile
@OldMan excellent post

Dan&Co. turn me into the troll. I invested a lot (for me) in AGS (after february) and everybody here know what that means. Unfortunately am  also persuaded some friends in the investment. Hard lesson, I never do that again. From all that shiney DAOs  that was announced there's not a single one. MUSE and PLAY are obviously failed projects.

With 80% Steem premined I Am sure that Dan&Co. will airdrop some 'crumbs', but only later maybe after the end of BTS vesting period. Right now it seems they are busy with damping BTS to pump Steem.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 09:01:42 am by dritz3r »

Offline 天籁

• View Profile

Steem = Bitshares

Steem dollars = bitUSD

+5%

Offline oldman

• View Profile

Steem = Bitshares

Steem dollars = bitUSD

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
I cannot believe people are complaining about steem.....

bitshares is increasing in price n steem/bts on openledger is almost 50k......

certainly dan will not kill bts telling to his market maker dealing steem/bts using openledger

thanks dan, whatever what you do or...do not

I have no complaints about Steem per se, though to be completely honest I'm old and after a couple hours of reviewing Steem's website/whitepaper/stuff I still have absolutely no idea what it does, why it has value or why so many of the Bitshares dev's are investing time/effort in the ecosystem (other than as a very ironic means of raising development capital for Bitshares, in which case my faith in Dan remains intact).

Investment is not about assets or products; when one invests, one invests in people.

My concern is that my investment in Bitshares, which to this point has been primarily an investment in Dan and Stan, may be jeopardized by this ridiculously abrupt pivot in focus.

Any investor worth their salt needs to know why the captain suddenly jumped ship to run first mate elsewhere....

;)

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 02:15:51 pm by Stan »

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
I am going to speak openly and honestly.

Steem and Bitshares have nothing to do with one another. "YET"

Steem is testing its ground, and it is doing very well.  While it seems this is a great time to get a synergy going...

https://steemd.com/distribution

There is "only" 18,000 users on the system as of this post.  That's 0.00001% of the internet population.

This is NOT the time to introduce them to bitshares, while they are growing exponentially.  Allow the userbase to grow 100X and then put effort forth.

So all of you (and me) BTS holders, knowing what Bitshares can do... need to wait.  Don't cloud the growth of steem pushing something like us forward.

Many of them don't even know what Bitcoin is (until now) and now we want to promote Bitshares?

Timing is everything... Bitshares isn't going anywhere, and neither is steem..  Use timing in your favor.

+1

Offline prophetx

• View Profile
also can someone explain the relationship between buying/selling steem on bts and openledger?

does openledger run on top of the btsx network? so there might be some benefit from this? even if the licensing is open game now for all (which is not necessarily a bad thing)

lol i mined PTS in early november 2013 but all these constant changes are a bit hard to keep up with.  ;D

Offline prophetx

• View Profile
wait so let me get this straight the graphene technology no longer requires by license to give 10% back to BTS (pts/ags) holders?

full disclosure i do own a little bit of BTS

but i'm also interested in using the code and not having to pay for it.

please advise.