Author Topic: STEALTH Status Update  (Read 36563 times)

Offline roadscape

Personally don't care much for stealth (I do recognize the strategic value) but blinded amounts is kinda cool. My concern would be impacted GUI performance like we had with TITAN.

The server-side wallet storage was not part of the proposal, but something we felt was necessary to backup/secure user funds. We do not yet have confidence in the reliability of server-side storage to enable this feature. There is a significant about of liability associated in offering to host/backup user wallets.  We don't want to be responsible for the loss of funds.

Why not backup wallets directly on the blockchain? Along with a hash of the owner's email for easy lookups later. And maybe some random noise.
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
Jeepers!  Well done DEVS for getting this far with the stealth functionality!  It's really ok if there's a bit more work (assuming Onceuponatime is happy.)  Thank you for putting additional work in because it was actually more difficult or time-consuming than originally planned for.  Onceuponatime, thank you so much for putting up your capital to make sure this happened.  I for one appreciate any reasonable attempts to add functionality to BitShares......i hope you are amply rewarded for the risks you took!!

Offline bytemaster

as for how to actually use this -- if anyone on the network does one of the stealth ops, the fees will be accumulated in an object and then sent to stealth-buyback account at the next maintenance interval.  a v-op will be produced at that time (so you only get one v-op per maint interval instead of spamming the stealth-buyback history every time someone does a stealth tx).  during each maintenance interval stealth-buyback account automatically attempts to use its BTS balance to buy as much STEALTH as possible on the market, generating a market order v-op (immediately followed by a cancel v-op if it can't be fully matched).  you can basically monitor the stealth-buyback account history if you're interested in the finance.  (ok, i guess technically that's up to three v-ops per maint interval total)

Onceuponatime now has 1M stealth and can distribute them to his partners and/or sell them on the internal market.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

So, the important question is:

Can I use stealth transactions or not?.. I dont see any options at the GUI and all the Tokens still belong to BM..

Yes, you can use them via the dedicated wallet.
Onceuponatime will have his STEALTH asset today.

Our developers made STEALTH #1 priority over STEEM.   Ben, James, and Val have been dedicated to STEALTH this whole time (hence, no Steem UI).

In any event, onceuponatime and I have been talking about the project and I believe he is very happy with how we have taken care of him.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
I, for one, will have no part in trying to pressure Onceup to give up what he took the ultimate personal risk to make possible.

Was he aware of the fact that the dev leader would put all his energy to a new project called STEEM?
One of the reason you call it ultimate risk ... is this  fact?

Offline hcf27

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hcf27
So, the important question is:

Can I use stealth transactions or not?.. I dont see any options at the GUI and all the Tokens still belong to BM..

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
I don't like private profits being made from something that should be a core feature of bitshares.

I understand and appreciate that @onceuponatime has taken on risk and reduced sell pressure on BTS get Stealth asset implemented but I think this feature would be better as just a standard feature .

I'd like to see @onceuponatime  to sell this feature to bitshares and delete the Stealth asset.

He could sell it for whatever he paid +25% to cover costs and make a profit. This could be done as a worker proposal.

I've never thought Fee Backed Assets for core bitshares functions made any sense whatsoever.

Well, the community had a chance to fund it and would up relying on private investment.  To lobby after the fact to change the rules is very damaging to the possibility of further such investment.  It's really the same bad rep we get when someone starts a worker project and then gets voted out before they can finish it.  I, for one, will have no part in trying to pressure Onceup to give up what he took the ultimate personal risk to make possible.

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
    • twitter.com/jonnybitcoin
I don't like private profits being made from something that should be a core feature of bitshares.

I understand and appreciate that @onceuponatime has taken on risk and reduced sell pressure on BTS get Stealth asset implemented but I think this feature would be better as just a standard feature .

I'd like to see @onceuponatime  to sell this feature to bitshares and delete the Stealth asset.

He could sell it for whatever he paid +25% to cover costs and make a profit. This could be done as a worker proposal.

I've never thought Fee Backed Assets for core bitshares functions made any sense whatsoever.
I run the @bitshares twitter handle
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Let's kick stealth into overdrive now, we will do whatever we can to pitch in here!

So is stealth going to ever be usable or is it being replaced with blind transactions? Blind transactions feel like more of a band aid than anything else.
Blinded transactions are a sub-unit of STEALTH which consists also of stealth addresses

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
Let's kick stealth into overdrive now, we will do whatever we can to pitch in here!

So is stealth going to ever be usable or is it being replaced with blind transactions? Blind transactions feel like more of a band aid than anything else.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
        o  20% to a Maintenance Account.

The problem is that if there are too many bugs, not so many STEALTH transactions will happen, so 20% taken from about nothing will not be enough to pay for maintenance...no?
From the other side 20% is a steal when it gets... bug free... so I see some motivation for CNX to work on this further... (seems that STEEM has more priority now)

Offline onceuponatime

What if Stealth cause more issues (bugs , other negative impact like performance, scalability even user safety ) , some may even been realized after one year , who will pay for fixing the bugs ?

Will that be one of those things where "if you don't pay , the blockchain will suck , so the reality is ...."

So is this really a total private funded project in this aspect ?

Will there be a fund paid by the private money dedicated to maintain all related bug fixes now and in the future if any bug were introduced on the blockchain because of this feature ?

That was planned for from the inception:

4.   Fees shall be automatically distributed by the blockchain to the following accounts:
        o   20% to the BitShares network.
        o  20% to a Maintenance Account.
        o   60% to holder(s) of the Privacy Mode Fees accumulation account

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
What if Stealth cause more issues (bugs , other negative impact like performance, scalability even user safety ) , some may even been realized after one year , who will pay for fixing the bugs ?

Will that be one of those things where "if you don't pay , the blockchain will suck , so the reality is ...."

So is this really a total private funded project in this aspect ?

Will there be a fund paid by the private money dedicated to maintain all related bug fixes now and in the future if any bug were introduced on the blockchain because of this feature ?
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline freedom

• View Profile
oh, F**K    -5%-5%