Author Topic: So what is everyone's thoughts on the Bitshares platform & ecosystem now?  (Read 30884 times)

Offline werneo

• View Profile
    • chronicle of the precession of simulacra
  • BitShares: werneo
This was a very exciting interview!

I've never done mining before. I think I could cobble together a GPU miner but it sounds like I could do CPU mining as well.

Could someone explain (like I'm 5) what steps I need to mine steem? Or point me in the right direction anyway....  :)

it's a good start...
http://steemit.com/steemhelp/@pharesim/ubuntu-14-04-miner-setup

#!/bin/bash
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade -y
apt-get install -y git build-essential cmake libssl-dev autoconf autotools-dev doxygen libncurses5-dev libreadline-dev libtool screen libicu-dev libbz2-dev graphviz
cd /home/ubuntu
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/boost/boost/1.57.0/boost_1_57_0.tar.bz2
tar xjf ./boost_1_57_0.tar.bz2
cd boost_1_57_0
./bootstrap.sh --prefix=/opt/boost_1_57_0
./b2 -j36 > /dev/null
./b2 install > /dev/null
export BOOST_ROOT=/opt/boost_1_57_0
cd ..
git clone https://github.com/steemit/steem.git
cd steem
git submodule update --init --recursive
cmake .
make -j36
cd programs/steemd/
screen -S steem -dm ./steemd --mining-threads=36 --seed-node='52.38.66.234:2001' --seed-node='52.37.169.52:2001' --seed-node='52.26.78.244:2001' --rpc-endpoint \
--miner='["account1","5WIF1"]' --witness='"account1"' \
--miner='["account2","5WIF2"]' --witness='"account2"' \
--miner='["account3","5WIF3"]' --witness='"account3"' \

Thanks!

Here is a good question someone just PM'd me.... could someone answer it cause I don't know (remember, I'm 5)....

I presume these values need to be replaced with something else, is that right?

Code: [Select]

How do you create the accounts? I assume the 5WIFn are the private keys for those accounts, correct?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 10:45:22 pm by werneo »

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

I've never done mining before. I think I could cobble together a GPU miner but it sounds like I could do CPU mining as well.

Could someone explain (like I'm 5) what steps I need to mine steem? Or point me in the right direction anyway....  :)

it's a good start...
http://steemit.com/steemhelp/@pharesim/ubuntu-14-04-miner-setup

#!/bin/bash
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade -y
apt-get install -y git build-essential cmake libssl-dev autoconf autotools-dev doxygen libncurses5-dev libreadline-dev libtool screen libicu-dev libbz2-dev graphviz
cd /home/ubuntu
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/boost/boost/1.57.0/boost_1_57_0.tar.bz2
tar xjf ./boost_1_57_0.tar.bz2
cd boost_1_57_0
./bootstrap.sh --prefix=/opt/boost_1_57_0
./b2 -j36 > /dev/null
./b2 install > /dev/null
export BOOST_ROOT=/opt/boost_1_57_0
cd ..
git clone https://github.com/steemit/steem.git
cd steem
git submodule update --init --recursive
cmake .
make -j36
cd programs/steemd/
screen -S steem -dm ./steemd --mining-threads=36 --seed-node='52.38.66.234:2001' --seed-node='52.37.169.52:2001' --seed-node='52.26.78.244:2001' --rpc-endpoint \

« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:13:18 pm by liondani »

Offline werneo

• View Profile
    • chronicle of the precession of simulacra
  • BitShares: werneo
Starts @44:45

With the lessons we've learned from Steem, we have the ability to create, let's call it Bitshares 3.0, if you will.  Bitshares 3.0 would be different from the current iteration of bitshares in the following ways:

• it would not charge any transaction fees.
  • it would have multiple assets like Steem backed dollars but paid to different .... gold, silver, euros, so on and so forth.
  • it would create those assets only to pay people who do work.

In the work that the blockchain would pay for, would be:

• liquidity
  • witnesses

So, with liquidity and witnesses paid for in these assets, and the blockchain then turn around and backing them,  you would have an exchange with no fees, pegged assets where you could trade gold, silver, so on. I would then share drop such a chain on Bitshares with an allocation that is sufficient to cover the cost of development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdYK1ifKLXw

« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 08:48:12 pm by werneo »

Offline openledger

• Board Moderator
  • Blockchain powered, people driven
    • View Profile
    • OpenLedger.info - Blockchain Solutions, Services and Products for Businesses
  • BitShares: ccedkbts
I second this and support all progressive actions put towards greater good of the bts platform OpenLedger and by doing so I am promoting not only OpenLedger, but also bts as a currency, bts as a platform and bts as a community hoping that this same community will start thinking less about what others can do to improve it all, and instead start thinking what it could contribute with itself.

Dont forget, together we are much stronger than 3-5000 users all thinking on themselves first and foremost. Together there is not much a community like that could not achieve, and we are already on the way, but less talk about what others did not do, and more about what could be done is what is needed now.

And drop the hidden agendas pls to whomever are carrying those, we really dont need them here.

Rgds

Ronny

OpenLedger blockchain in services and solutions - https://openledger.info
BitShares explorer: https://bitsharescan.com
BitShares commitee member since 2015

Offline Thom

There has never even been a proposal to reject or accept from cnx. I bet bts would even vote in a mas style program if a proposal was ever made.

If support for bond market functionality is so freakin high, why isn't a solid proposal created and floated before the shareholders? The answer: I see this plea as simply the voice of a small minority who refuse to take responsibility to rally the support for it to make it happen. "Let's just be a squeaky wheel and hope someone else will oil us".

I happen to believe a bond market is a niche market with a high cost to implement. It's yet another idea for a market experiment without ANY solid market research or numbers to make a case for how big such a market would be to the crypto world, or if trying to reach a broader audience what the cost of customer acquisition would be to attract people elsewhere who might be interested . In short, there has been no business case made for it, just statements people want it. Well that's just not enough. Let's focus on what we have and strengthen it, not take on a massive new effort like implementing a bond market experiment.

There are plenty of other projects and reasons to remain focused and committed to the vision of those who innovated this ecosystem. Nobody here is doing this solely based on principles and the long term mission of making financial freedom a reality. We are all here to make money in the process. I wish those who are here ONLY to make money and principles be damned were in the minority. I'm afraid however too many can't see the big picture and are in fact the majority.

Wake up and see BitShares for what it is, not for what it lacks! There is always room for improvement but look at all the amazing things happening with projects like those promoted by ccedk, BitShares' Munich Point of Sale, Maker, SollarsNsense, the Beyond Bitcoin gang, Bitland and others. Of all the other projects and chains in the CryptoSphere think of how great it is Bitland has chosen the BitShares platform to move forward with, and that Ronny@ccedk also sees it's potential and is willing to promote it. Think of Billions in Africa, think of the value those people and those projects collectively represent - how can all that NOT instill optimism?

Bytemaster moving on to Steem is not a blow to this community, it is an opportunity for us who remain to step up and take responsibility to push this platform and those who empower it to be successful. Calling all entrepreneurs! C'mon, lets go, if there ever was a time to focus and get after it that time is now!
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline davidpbrown

The Dex is just too hard to use. ...

BitShares perhaps is too hard to use.. and that then begs a question of if the devs are thinking big and pitching at professional business interests, with expert options that traders will recognise. I don't mind if that's the case, as that's where the big money will be. Long term BitShares needs to find a market.. and to do that it needs to provide a compelling reason to use BitShares rather than another option with similar functions. There are threads through the ideas behind BitShares that make a lot of sense and indeed appear unique but drawing those together into a coherent package that's easy to sell to a defined market, requires focus and commitment.

I'm encouraged by responses above but keen to seen what has been achieved acknowledged and re-enforced - where is moonstone.io wallet upto for example.. having flexibility in GUIs will be an important contribution towards appeal in different user groups. Much of the market atm is likely individuals; speculators; and less atm finance-centric businesses - those are an end game, question is how best to get to the point they can and do use the markets here.
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline LoveYouMakMak

• View Profile
The Dex is just too hard to use. You hear it all over the Bitcointalk forum. There's a reason why IOUs for products like Lisk are doing well are questionable exchanges but barely any volume through Bitshares. I hate to be so critical but I feel like it's being looked through the eyes of people who do this all the time and not the rest of us.

I see Ronny created some great how-to videos, that's a good start. Unless I have an overwhelming reason to trade on OL, I won't spend the time. I need it as simple as Loloniex, even easier. Friendly 1 click options with tooltips to walk me through like I'm new to all of this. That is what's holding us back, it's still too confusing. I don't think any additional tech advancements are going to make a difference, there's plenty.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 07:27:38 pm by LoveYouMakMak »

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
All the more reason to push out the anti dilution crowd.  The blockchain was built to have built in support for workers to pay for development.  This is currently at a standstill and thus will not help attract any outside devs.

Amazing that people do not realize time=money and it takes money to build anything!  This is the same as a company firing their key engineers, thus no more work can be accomplished.

We need a voting initiative.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 06:51:55 pm by Brekyrself »

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
I see in a quote I used in another thread there was also reference to a large dev fund for BTS that is slowly being released via the merger...

The result is that as part of the merger many people (including the large Dev fund) are taking a long-term vested interest in things.
Do you really want Toast, Adam, and I to have instant access to a large percentage of all new funds or do you want us vesting with a long time horizon? 

Will we still benefit from that or has that been kind of lost given that they've said they've had to spend some of their own money funding BTS?
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
For me the biggest disappointment of the BitShares platform so far is the promised 2.0 feature of the bond market. Ive been wanting to loan out my BTS and get interest on it for ages. I expect that many others feel the same way, and that this feature will give a huge boost to the daily transaction count, because BTS bulls now have something to do whilst patiently hodling their shares.

Is there any ETA on this?

This and Margin trading...

Those features are still possible, if that's what the shareholders vote for.

"Still" possible? So its a decreasing possibility, as in probably not going to happen? You havent given us a bond market proposal to vote for, nor said how much cash it will require. Where do I vote for it?

Cnx complains that there is no money for development and the voters are cheap... No, the voters would vote in a bond market or integration to mt4 in a second.

There has never even been a proposal to reject or accept from cnx. I bet bts would even vote in a mas style program if a proposal was ever made.

Offline fuzzy

This will be so awsome, i feel like a big rock is finally of my back. It's so great!

Agreed. So many folks have been complaining that the captain of the ship keeps getting sidetracked and then never finishes a feature to shareholders expectations. So, I think the friday mumbles could now be moderated by the Beyond Bitcoin team but the guests can be those who want to talk about their projects. No more perception of a top-down structure (i have even seen Bitshares referred to as central banking 2.0).

I had a nice conversation with BM, Stan, Onceupon and Thom yesterday on mumble after the official mumble. We have a very solid plan to move Bitshares forward. Blinded transactions, recurring and scheduled payments, bond market, liquidity bots and market makers, margin trading, free transactions, Smartcoins POS integrations, a 2nd mobile wallet app for iOS and android (all native and material design), skin-able specific use-case wallets, Marketing... There are lots of things being started, worked on and finished up as we speak.

BitShares Munich will be expanding over the coming days. BM has been so far, and confirms that he will continue to consult with us in assisting our expansion, getting more Devs up to speed on graphene, direction with the different repos and docs, etc. We have roughly 40 Devs (c++, js, python and ui/x etc) that can work with us on various projects (as you guys know I have been in software and outsourcing for over 24 years now). Roughly 7 of those 40 are employed with us full-time and as more investment comes in we can slowly expand further. I would like all of the existing projects above finished/polished first and make them awesome.

+5% +5%  Thanks Ken...  For what it is worth, I'm very happy with the past and the present.  These are startups, so I keep learning to enjoy the ride..

I recognize that blockchains like BitShares are the right thing to do so I continue to upgrade my personal finances to use this new technology and invest in new businesses that show they can be sustained long term.  There is very little I can do to gage adoption or even to put a financial price tag on this.  Isn't user adoption something like cash, will you ever have enough?  If one can have passion and do well user adoption is free... The incentive is more excitement in the way of future opportunity.

These are real business and we have an awesome exchange on BitShares.  It is fast, high-volume, secure, decentralized and efficient.  I hear of very clever workarounds to the speed issues in blockchains and, although I would implement them if I were in their shoes (to keep things going), I would always know very well that as a developer they are cracks in a foundation.  One little hack in the core can take down a platform in unforeseen ways.  DL understand this well so this gives me confidence in his work.  I know this part of the platform should not change frequently and does not require his constant attention.  The less frequent the better.  This is great news for us, we have property now that will keep giving us value at little or no cost at all.  This is why we put forth all the time and effort up front to create things that will last.  You don't want to change them latter.  Also, for this reason it is completely normal to move to other modules, projects, chains, etc...  None of this raises a red flag for me.  Software is complex, you need to move to another area so you have freedom and can't break any code.   Fighting this is like fighting the rip currents, the key is to go with the flow and gently move in the direction you need to go...

This is what I was after, I wanted to see this become a reality.  The market experiments are a lot of fun to use and watch, these are important tools for very serious investors.  This is exactly what we need, if we are going to be home for major investors and even the average person's retirement portfolio.  This is a huge step up for the average joe.  Also, for this to be viable we needed web and mobile clients.  We pulled it off.  The major pieces are here...  Best of all the community owns it in full so this sets the stage for a honest future where it is greed and monopoly resistant.

This is another asset for the BitShares exchange.  Keep them coming ;)...

great points jcal
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline mike623317

• View Profile

I think BM spoke an awful lot of sense in this last mumble session and  the need to keep innovating and face some of the problems bitshares has (liquidity etc).
I think he deserves a lot of encouragement in this STEEM idea.  +5%

Offline fuzzy

Funny, no one mentions the other bombshell today... hint:  it ends in "3.0".

I kind of half listened to the mumble and I didn't hear anything about this. Anyone know what Stan's alluding to here?

i think BM mentioned lessions learnt for BTS 3.0 but didn't said something that this is in the pipline, because you know, lack of funds, mean no development on the blockchain, only on the frontend.

bombshells just anger people more... at least historically.  I am more trying to say there are many chains out their that compete against us and have centralized bodies paying their dev teams.   Bitcoin and ETH both exemplify this.  Yet people somehow think Dan and team are horrible when I assure you the eth core devs and btc core devs have been promised constant payment indefinitely until when? until they WIN in the market and probably beyond.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian

I kind of half listened to the mumble and I didn't hear anything about this. Anyone know what Stan's alluding to here?

My version from what I remember:

• Learn from Steem
  • Create a DEX using lessons learned, and sharedrop on BitShares (sharedrop proportions would take into account development costs which have to be paid for).
  • Get best of both worlds. Good things from Steem like no transaction fees, paid liquidity providers and witnesses. Also get the ability to create other assets by shorting into existence.
  • This is BitShares 3.0. Market would sort out competition between BiShares 2.0 and 3.0

Is thi about right anyone?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist

i think BM mentioned lessions learnt for BTS 3.0 but didn't said something that this is in the pipline, because you know, lack of funds, mean no development on the blockchain, only on the frontend.