Author Topic: Unclear future, missed opportunities  (Read 16855 times)

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
I think the future is pretty clear for BTS:

1. work out the kinks with Steem
2. merge best parts of steem + BTS into a next generation DEX
3. sharedrop + dev allocation

It is just a much longer roadmap.

Hmm...I'm going through old forum posts just for the hell of it when I stumbled across this little gem.

Curious to know if this is still the roadmap for BTS, heh...

Offline sudo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: ags

How can Steem "a social media platform where everyone gets paid for creating and curating content." be meaningfully merged with BTS? The two seem completely unrelated ..

It's a shame you seem to feel the need to switch direction every few months BM. I like your vision (or should it be: "the previous vision"?) and certaintly you have the skills to pull it off, but appear to lack the tenacity to see the project through to the end.

I don't know how it went from "fuck the banks we don't need them anymore and lets build financial freedom together" to "lets pay people for blogging".. >:(

Pretty easy really.  Got to make payroll and put food on the table. 

Funny how few people there are in this world who understand what it's like to be responsible to the shareholders and employees of a company.

That's what I told the DNS victims  ..........
I guess someday there will be people telling STEEM holders that exact same line   :P
big thing 2.0

Offline Chris4210

• Keep Building!
    • View Profile
    • www.payger.com
  • BitShares: chris4210
if you need more content for a roadmap/activities or projects, you can take some of mine (I don't usually market my work as well as others but should certainly do so):
* Python-graphenelib - Low-level library for interacting with the Network
* Transaction Signing in Python - Sign your transactions without the cli/web wallet
* BitShares Europe Consulting - Education, Trainings & Seminars
* BitShares Europe Blog - Blog posts about the DAC
* BitShares Europe Documentation - Reference Documentation for Graphene and BitShares
* BitShares Europe Stats - BitShares TPS in real-time
* Committee Proposals - Development & Execution
* Committee Instructions - Educational and Consulting
* Structured Fee Schedule - Development, Marketing, Execution
* LaTeX Paperwallet - Bringing Private Keys
* Wallet Recovery Service - 0.9 Migration
* AirSign - Python-Only Interface for BitShares
* Peermit - Second factor authentication for BitShares
* Price Feed - Price feed script for BitShares Witnesses
* BitShares Improvement Proposals - BSIPs
* Full fledged docker containers - Dockerfiles for easy deployment
* Wallet and Faucet deployments & maintenance - Run your own white-labeled DEX
* Graphene/BitShares Paperwallets - Cold Storage on Paper
* BitShares/Graphene Testnet - The one and only Testnet for BitShares
* Trading Bot Infrastructure - Run your Bots on the DEX
* Customized Blockchain deployment - Get your own private Graphene blockchain
* BitShares Whitepapers - Sole author of two whitepapers
* High profile forum member - Most forum posts .. by far

thank you, I added them to the list. In the next step, we should sort them after priority and add them to the roadmap.
Vote Chris4210 for Committee Member http://bit.ly/1WKC03B! | www.Payger.com - Payments + Messenger | www.BitShareshub.io - Community based fanpage for the BitShares Blockchain

Offline bitsharesbrazil

• View Profile
bitcointalk ANN https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1084460.0
chat, post, promote it!!!!!!!! Stan help to improve OP!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
if you need more content for a roadmap/activities or projects, you can take some of mine (I don't usually market my work as well as others but should certainly do so):
* Python-graphenelib - Low-level library for interacting with the Network
* Transaction Signing in Python - Sign your transactions without the cli/web wallet
* BitShares Europe Consulting - Education, Trainings & Seminars
* BitShares Europe Blog - Blog posts about the DAC
* BitShares Europe Documentation - Reference Documentation for Graphene and BitShares
* BitShares Europe Stats - BitShares TPS in real-time
* Committee Proposals - Development & Execution
* Committee Instructions - Educational and Consulting
* Structured Fee Schedule - Development, Marketing, Execution
* LaTeX Paperwallet - Bringing Private Keys
* Wallet Recovery Service - 0.9 Migration
* AirSign - Python-Only Interface for BitShares
* Peermit - Second factor authentication for BitShares
* Price Feed - Price feed script for BitShares Witnesses
* BitShares Improvement Proposals - BSIPs
* Full fledged docker containers - Dockerfiles for easy deployment
* Wallet and Faucet deployments & maintenance - Run your own white-labeled DEX
* Graphene/BitShares Paperwallets - Cold Storage on Paper
* BitShares/Graphene Testnet - The one and only Testnet for BitShares
* Trading Bot Infrastructure - Run your Bots on the DEX
* Customized Blockchain deployment - Get your own private Graphene blockchain
* BitShares Whitepapers - Sole author of two whitepapers
* High profile forum member - Most forum posts .. by far

Offline Chris4210

• Keep Building!
    • View Profile
    • www.payger.com
https://bitshares.org/roadmap.html  (needs a bit of an update I'd say! It's awesome to see how many of the "not started" things are now actually done)

Thank you @KenMonkey
@Chris4210 Please coordinate the upgrade of that page as well, thank you

Also, here are some changes that need to be made:
  • "Bitshares.org website upgrade" - Ongoing by BitShares Munich estimated time Aug 2016
  • "Improve deposit/withdraw UX" - Completed by @svk
  • "Account overview optimization" - Completed by @svk
  • "Dark & Light theme switch" - Completed by @svk
  • "Support for native deployment on mobile devices" - Ongoing by BitShares Munich estimated time Jun 2016
  • "Stealth transfers" - Ongoing by BitShares Munich estimated time Q3 2016
  • "Trollbox for the Exchange" - Ongoing by @svk
  • "Smartcoins POS & BitShares Wallet for Android/iPhone" - (this needs 2 rows)
  • "Smartcoins POS standalone app" - Completed by BitShares Munich
  • "Smartcoins POS for Odoo" - Completed by BitShares Munich
  • "BitShares Wallet for Android/iOS" - Completed by BitShares Munich (https://github.com/kenCode-de/bitshares-wallet)
  • "Smartcoins Wallet for Android (native)" - Ongoing by BitShares Munich estimated time Jun 2016
  • "Deployment of market-making bots "LiqBot" on the internal exchange" - Completed/Ongoing by BitShares Munich Apr 2016 (https://steemit.com/bitshares/@linouxis9/liqbot-0)
  • "Recurring & Scheduled Payments" - Soon to be started by BitShares Munich

+5% +5% +5%

Added it to the BitShares Roadmap.
Vote Chris4210 for Committee Member http://bit.ly/1WKC03B! | www.Payger.com - Payments + Messenger | www.BitShareshub.io - Community based fanpage for the BitShares Blockchain

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
https://bitshares.org/roadmap.html  (needs a bit of an update I'd say! It's awesome to see how many of the "not started" things are now actually done)

Thank you @KenMonkey

• "Bitshares.org website upgrade" - Ongoing by BitShares Munich estimated time Aug 2016
  • "Support for native deployment on mobile devices" - Ongoing by BitShares Munich estimated time Jun 2016
  • "BitShares Wallet for Android/iOS" - Completed by BitShares Munich (https://github.com/kenCode-de/bitshares-wallet)
  • "Smartcoins Wallet for Android (native)" - Ongoing by BitShares Munich estimated time Jun 2016
  • "Deployment of market-making bots "LiqBot" on the internal exchange" - Completed/Ongoing by BitShares Munich Apr 2016 (https://steemit.com/bitshares/@linouxis9/liqbot-0)

+5% +5% +5%

Offline cryptillionaire

• View Profile
The previous PTS/VOTE/DNS/BTSX merge was a nightmare - the price has yet to recover to anywhere near where it was prior to the merge & none of the DNS/VOTE/PTS functionality materialized in the BTS platform (Whilst you can theoretically sharedrop on BTS like in PTS, none of the recent new projects have bothered to do so - is sharedrop theory dead?). If history is anything to go by, if we merge, Steem's features won't materialize in any such 'next generation DEX'.

You asked a lot of great questions, however I wanted to note that Peerplays is in fact sharedroping on Bitshares.

You can find the details on this at: Peerplays Milestones & Allocations

That's good to hear - I'd missed this information, looks like sharedropping theory isn't dead then! :)

Does anyone have a backup copy of the sharedropping theory wiki entry that used to be on the BTSX wiki?

Offline Chris4210

• Keep Building!
    • View Profile
    • www.payger.com
I don´t see a merger between Steem and BitShares. The target groups are too different. I believe we will see an alignment and Steem will be an  sidechain to BitShares. So that users can cash out their SBD into BitShares and sell them there.

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

The previous PTS/VOTE/DNS/BTSX merge was a nightmare - the price has yet to recover to anywhere near where it was prior to the merge & none of the DNS/VOTE/PTS functionality materialized in the BTS platform (Whilst you can theoretically sharedrop on BTS like in PTS, none of the recent new projects have bothered to do so - is sharedrop theory dead?). If history is anything to go by, if we merge, Steem's features won't materialize in any such 'next generation DEX'.

You asked a lot of great questions, however I wanted to note that Peerplays is in fact sharedroping on Bitshares.

You can find the details on this at: Peerplays Milestones & Allocations
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline cryptillionaire

• View Profile

I posted on the Bitshares price speculation thread about this (https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,16894.msg291894.html#msg291894), but figured I should post in this thread too.

How is this the clear future for BTS? There's no mention of Steem in the BTS roadmap https://bitshares.org/roadmap.html

Is there going to be a community vote (with BTS balance as voting weight) to decide on whether to merge Steem into BTS? Or will this be a forced decision like the previous merger?

Why should Steem be merged into BTS? It's an instantmined (80% currently held by a central issuing authority) digg clone that didn't sharedrop onto BTS holders, I don't see how it has a place within a decentralized exchange platform.

The previous PTS/VOTE/DNS/BTSX merge was a nightmare - the price has yet to recover to anywhere near where it was prior to the merge & none of the DNS/VOTE/PTS functionality materialized in the BTS platform (Whilst you can theoretically sharedrop on BTS like in PTS, none of the recent new projects have bothered to do so - is sharedrop theory dead? edit: peerplay is doing a 5% sharedrop). If history is anything to go by, if we merge, Steem's features won't materialize in any such 'next generation DEX'.

I previously thought why not just merge Steem's features into BTS without the need for a sharedrop/merge, then I read their license.md https://github.com/steemit/steem/blob/master/LICENSE.md
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
  • 4. The STEEMIT_INIT_PUBLIC_KEY_STR is not changed from STM8GC13uCZbP44HzMLV6zPZGwVQ8Nt4Kji8PapsPiNq1BK153XTX, and the software is not modified in any way that would bypass the need for the coresponding private to start a new blockchain.
  • 5. The software is not used with any forks of the Steem blockchain that are not recognized by Steemit, Inc in writing.
With such a license, their project might as well be closed source.

Quoted from: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,22125.msg288257.html#msg288257

Steem is a Graphene-based Blockchain created by Steemit, Inc founded by Ned Scott.
Ned has been following BitShares since 2013 and early this year hired Cryptonomex to help build the Steem network.
Considering Ned Scott (founder of Steemit, Inc) has hired Cryptonomex to develop Steem & (I'm assuming) you're currently being paid to work on Steem, would you not consider your proposal to merge Steem into BTS a conflict of interest?

Is a precedent being set here where we are to expect [any/all] premined projects that hire Cryptonomex to have merger proposals pushed onto the BTS community at the expense of existing BTS investors?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:18:58 am by cryptillionaire »

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise

Thank you @KenMonkey

kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline KenMonkey

• View Profile
  • BitShares: kmnk
Maybe there's some opportunity in Steem for BTS, but it doesn't spring to mind immediately. I think they are good partners just two friendly DAOs not competing for functional turf (just investment turf).

We actually do not need most of the new features. We should rather use what we have and build a profitable business with that.

A bond market might bring new people, but a stable crypto currency is working already and interesting for many many reasons.

agree, seems the planned collateralized bond market is very helpful as a feature, hope it has chance to come true.

+5% I am for the bond market as well, just need to finish up Stealth first.

YES!!! Hot Damn! You are my hero Ken!
It's all about secure and easy mobile wallets and POS. Stealth is cool and attracts the "fuck the bankers". Crypto rules.

I think BitShares is just getting started. Excited to be a part of!!

+5% +5% +5% :)
+5% +5% +5% +5 :P

Let's stay on the bitshares roadmap? Say "Aye" Dan!

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
We actually do not need most of the new features. We should rather use what we have and build a profitable business with that.

A bond market might bring new people, but a stable crypto currency is working already and interesting for many many reasons.

agree, seems the planned collateralized bond market is very helpful as a feature, hope it has chance to come true.

+5% I am for the bond market as well, just need to finish up Stealth first.
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcrab
  • GitHub: bitcrab

Email:bitcrab@qq.com