Author Topic: Today is dev Memorial day - Observations on ETH.  (Read 2277 times)

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile

So I am trying to withdraw some DAO to my ETH wallet. Polo trades it, seems simple. I highlight the ETH address on the screen then choose edit/copy.  It says "clipboard copied" but does the notification twice. Then it gives me a weird BTC address which is either the original account I deposited to via shapeshift or they've been compromised.  lol. wtf. Not particularly impressed so far, but I am looking forward to finally playing with it and maybe even writing contracts.

BitShares definitely has a nicer UI from what I've seen so far.

try Lisk wallet , you'll find it more smooth .....  :P
regardging nicer and simple UI.
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

So I am trying to withdraw some DAO to my ETH wallet. Polo trades it, seems simple. I highlight the ETH address on the screen then choose edit/copy.  It says "clipboard copied" but does the notification twice. Then it gives me a weird BTC address which is either the original account I deposited to via shapeshift or they've been compromised.  lol. wtf. Not particularly impressed so far, but I am looking forward to finally playing with it and maybe even writing contracts.

BitShares definitely has a nicer UI from what I've seen so far.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile

For non-Americans who don't know,  yesterday was Memorial day.  A day where we honored the armed forces who "fought for our freedom".

Well a lot of you didn't know today is "developer's Memorial Day" where we give thanks for those devs that fought for our freedom.

Anyway, all jokes aside I downloaded the ETH wallet. I was impressed by the integration of ShapeShift to get people up and going. However other than that, this thing is buggy as fuck. My first attempt was not successful as I got stuck on some block.  (Might have been a sleeping laptop or something did this...)  So I switch from 64bit to 32bit and 32bit won't even run saying it is missing some component.  So I google how to delete the chain data and start over with v64. So I would take that as being 3 attempts. IMO Bitshares .9 was likely better than this.

I just wanted to post something positive and acknowledge the good work that WAS done by the BitShares team. Good job guys.

You should try Lisk wallet  :P :P
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow
Without the support of exchanges who could figure out how to use the eth wallet, I think ethereum would have had a hard time gaining much traction. Most of the eth speculators seem to hold their ether on exchanges. This happens with plenty of other cryptos too, of course, but the problem was so profound that it seemed that many eth holders never transferred funds to their own wallets.

This actually forced us to change how we handled customers paying with ether: originally we used the "memo" method because ethereum really wants you to have a single address (similar to bitshares, although it's just a long ugly address instead of a name), but many exchanges didn't allow users to include memos on withdrawals, so we had to make custom modifications to the wallet to allow us to create new unique addresses that customers could send their ether to using their exchange accounts. This is more complicated than it sounds, because we then have to send some "gas" to that new address after the customer makes a deposit if they pay in some other token than ether (e.g. dgd or dao) in order to move the funds from the unique address to our primary address where we can spend it (there's no easy way to spend from multiple addresses automatically). All-in-all, it's a major pain.

And don't even get me started on their cli wallets...
http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline mint chocolate chip

I tried for the first time to use Ethereum a couple of weeks ago to get some DAO, but I couldn't figure out how to successfully send the ethers from the Mist wallet to the DAO address after several attempts and a considerable amount of time reading how to. Gave up and sent the ether back to the exchange.

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow

For non-Americans who don't know,  yesterday was Memorial day.  A day where we honored the armed forces who "fought for our freedom".

Well a lot of you didn't know today is "developer's Memorial Day" where we give thanks for those devs that fought for our freedom.

Anyway, all jokes aside I downloaded the ETH wallet. I was impressed by the integration of ShapeShift to get people up and going. However other than that, this thing is buggy as fuck. My first attempt was not successful as I got stuck on some block.  (Might have been a sleeping laptop or something did this...)  So I switch from 64bit to 32bit and 32bit won't even run saying it is missing some component.  So I google how to delete the chain data and start over with v64. So I would take that as being 3 attempts. IMO Bitshares .9 was likely better than this.

I just wanted to post something positive and acknowledge the good work that WAS done by the BitShares team. Good job guys.
We've had our share of problems with it at BlockTrades, from missing functionality to outright bugs. One of the most recent bugs: we upgraded to a new version and our password was no longer able to unlock our wallet. I must have typed that password in 10 different times before concluding there just had to be some bug. We had to revert back to an old version to unlock it...
http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I speak for myself and only myself.